Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It seems like everytime i come on here i find so many freaking 1 ton TJ builds,
I wanted to do something different, something low, stable and unique.

So here is my 1997 Tj i bought totaled this past winter.

Stock 4cyl with 2.5 rough country lift. And some bald 32 TSL's

I highlined it and took it to URE to give it a proper beat-in

It did really well, i blew the motor, bent the shit out of the front end and tie rods. But I had no problems with the axle or driveline.

Then we added a 8.8 rear with a triangulated 4 link. Also stretched the frame and moved the axle back 12" to make the comp cut look cooler

I also swapped a 4.7 stroker motor with electric fan, ax15 and new radiator

Next up was the roll cage and paint, also herculined the interior of the tub and the custom tube body work.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
More paint work in our huge paint booth

I couldn't be happier with the final stance/look

It is amazingly stable running the 36x12.50 TSL;s with 1.5" wheel spacers.

I have a rubi 44 coming this week as well as a 4:1 transfer case planned. I have an ARB for the rear 8.8 to run with the stock rubi front locker. I am also upgrading the front axle to the larger knuckles and brakes off of a WJ i think. The front suspension is also going to be long armed and possible air bumps all the way around.

I hope to wheel it again in the next week or so and I'm sure I will have more things to improve on and fix.

There are more pictures here www.per4manceinnovations.com

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My jeep flex's more than yours!

Here are the obligatory poser forklift flex pictures courtesy of my new fork lift.

Not bad for 2.5" of lift and stock short arm front suspension

I also got a rubi 44 for $300, the axle tube was bent so a little bottle jack and chain action got that straightened back out.

The 8.8 is also getting a ARB and 5.13's next week.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
^^ Not gonna lie, that bottle jack set up looks sketchy :eek:

Knowing my luck, I'd take the jack to the nads when it slipped off the tube...

oh, nice rig :D

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea it looks sketchy, we tack welded the chain to the jack and the jack base to the axle tube so it couldn't slip off and shoot out.

The biggest problem was the spring back, we ended up heating the opposite side of the tube red hot and quenching it to get it to stay perfectly straight

·
K^2
2,786 Posts
The biggest problem was the spring back, we ended up heating the opposite side of the tube red hot and quenching it to get it to stay perfectly straight
you know that makes steel more brittle, right?

I dont believe I would run that front axle, especially considering it has dana 30 tubes on it in the first place. The only thing you are gaining over the 30 is a larger r/p. Why not go with a waggy 44?

·
Swag Sales
2,515 Posts
I dont care much about your bottle jack like everyone else but the jeep looks AWESOME!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I like how you used the stock brackets on the rear and raised the frame. I did the same thing on my build. Here's mine.

And as far as the Rubi front goes. Before I started my 60/70 swapp this is what I did to mine.

Back side....

Nice work.

V

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
you know that makes steel more brittle, right?

I dont believe I would run that front axle, especially considering it has dana 30 tubes on it in the first place. The only thing you are gaining over the 30 is a larger r/p. Why not go with a waggy 44?
Yea, but they sell Longfields for the Rubi axle. Then you still have the crappy unit bearings and weak ball joints.

·
NERD
8,624 Posts
Yea, but they sell Longfields for the Rubi axle. Then you still have the crappy unit bearings and weak ball joints.
The tubes are still tiny. I would rather build a Waggy 44 for something like that. Rubi 44s are cool but you have to dump more money into them unless they came stock on your rig. With the money you spend on a Rubi44 (not his, but most), you could have built a budget 609 hybrid.

·
K^2
2,786 Posts
RCV is coming out with 300M cv shafts for the waggy 44 soon.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I like how you used the stock brackets on the rear and raised the frame. I did the same thing on my build. Here's mine.

V
If you swap the stock rear brackets to the opposite side in the rear you don't have that goofy ass triangle piece hangin out FWIW.:smokin:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts