Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys run your leaf spring and shackle bushing with no sleeves. I don't have then on my 86 4runner sas and they wear very fast and the wobble starts. I was thinking of welding the holes smaller and running sleeves with smaller bolts.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I run sleeves in all my bushings. And run .250 2" tubes on my frame side for the bushings. The bushings last a lot longer. I used to wear a set every few trips now i have 5 beatings on them and they still look new.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
I use greaseable bolts, no sleeves, and they last a year or so per set, depending on how hard I hammer em.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Do you guys run your leaf spring and shackle bushing with no sleeves. I don't have then on my 86 4runner sas and they wear very fast and the wobble starts. I was thinking of welding the holes smaller and running sleeves with smaller bolts.
It works, I've used weld washers and sleeved the bushings down to 9/16.

Makes everything work as it should...

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Man, you're waaay over complicating it! Freeze bushings and drill out to 3/4".....then drill spring eye mounts And fasten with 3/4 grade 8 bolt.I've literally never roached a bushing doing this. Fuck a goddamn sleeve and rusting/seizing bolts.

If you must run sleeves, ruffstuff carries weld washers that would work perfect. Don't give anymore thought to rednecking it up by welding and redrilling. You have a mullet, Boy????:flipoff2:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I run sleeves in all my bushings. And run .250 2" tubes on my frame side for the bushings. The bushings last a lot longer. I used to wear a set every few trips now i have 5 beatings on them and they still look new.
What size bolts dose that give for frame mounts. Where you get the tube

·
Registered
129 Posts
I drilled out the new 18mm tg bushings to 3/4 then run dom sleeves with 9/16 grade 8 . Still look new after 2 years.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I orderd some sleeves for mine. I'm running ruffs and when I tightened the shackle bolt it crushed the bushing. I just ordered them from online tube for the size of bolt I needed and drilled bushing to fit sleeve. Now when I tighten the bolt it stops from crushing bushing. Not sure if it's the right way to do it but I guess I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
Absolutely, positively sleeve them. How you gonna torque the bolts without crushing the poly? I would mangle shackle side bushings every trip before I 'learned'.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts