Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys
just wondering if anyone can tell me what the length between the leaf spring hangers should be from front to back on a CJ7

the reason is that i have reverse shackled and out boarded the springs but think i may have put the rear front spring hanger to far forward. every thing was ok but since i put a V8 in i now get the shackle flip back and lock up i have 4" rancho springs if that will make a difference.

hope someone can help

cheers
Brick

·
Registered
223 Posts
Just bolt up the front leaf spring to the front spring hanger (fixed point), With the spring hanging freely, the shackle should point about 5* forward, so when you put the weight of the vehicle on the spring, it will fold backwards at the correct angle. Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the response

i have it sitting on its own weight and the shackle points towards the rear at about 10 degrees and sits nice the problem seems to be once i hit a bump or brake the spring flattens and the shackle getts locked up

do you think i may have a problem i am overlooking or do you know what might fix this

cheers

·
Registered
223 Posts
Mine did the same thing (got stuck horizonally) when I first welded the shackle hanger. I had the shackle straight up & down when the axle was hanging free. I cut off the shackle hanger and moved it rearward about an inch until the shackle was about 5* forward. Its been fine since I rewelded it. About what degree does the shackle point when the axle is hanging free? Sounds like you need to move the shackle hanger a little more rearward. Maybe the springs are worn and flattening out too much?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts