Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in a planning phase for my 85 CJ7, this what I have some questions about.

1 I have a narrowed set of chevy half ton axles which are spring over axle configuration. my question is if i run a set of factory YJ springs will 35's fit proportionate to the lift height or will i need to run a bigger tire? i am trying to avoid running anything larger than a 35. I know that there will at the very least four inches of lift and probably more like six inches.

2 I have looked around for custom leaf springs and alcan spring is a place that I found does anyone any input as to the leaf springs they turn out? is there any other places that you would recommend, for factory or zero lift leaf spring?

If anyone has pictures of a CJ7 that is spring over on 35s please post some pics i have searched and found some that have the look that i am going for but have not had much luck finding the specs as to how they achieved that look. I just don't want to look good but function good to because i will be using the jeep to hunt, fish, and run river trails with.

thanks for any info

·
Registered
396 Posts
That combo should work great for you. I chose Waggy axles over full widths as personal preference (I already had them & not wanting to be too wide) and stayed SUA but I'm on lift springs. I have never run Alcan springs myself but have heard nothing but good things about them. SOA with new springs will handle much better than an old beat on set. You'll have more flex with an old set, but you'll also be more prone to bending them and may have axle wrap with a 35" tire. The new set of Alcans should be great once you get a few rides on them. I've also run Skyjacker softrides with good luck.

If you aren't thinking about this all ready, some other things to think about... Shocks; a longer set and/or relocating the upper mount. Longer brake lines too. Morris 4x4 has a good selection of SS braid plastic (color) coated brake line kits for 80-90 bucks.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
x2

35's SOA are great on a cj7.

Here's a couple of pictures:

The green cj is spring over with stock front suspension and 35's (ignore the rear axle it has xj springs).

The Yellow cj is mine (eight years ago). This was SOA on stock suspension with 37's. The 37's were too big.
Before I swapped axles I sold the 37's and got some 35" rollers and it looked proportionally perfect.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the information guys I really appreciate the pictures. Does anyone have a preference between alcan springs vs. deaver springs? or any other factory or zero lift springs?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts