Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
I have 2" "lift" yj springs in the front, and oem 5 pack yj's in the rear.
The rear sits 1.5" lower than the front. Duh.

I want to re-arch the rear yj's to give me the lift I need to level the front / rear out. I have a 20 ton press to do this on.

Anyone done this? Re-arched stock yj's?

Do I re-arch all 5 leafs?

Do I spread the bending over the whole length of the leaf/s......say, re-bending at every 3 inch increments?

Will this increase the springs' "rate"? I want to have the rate soft [ like it is ] and not with more force needed to get the suspension moving.....I'm a light weigh samurai.

Thanks.
Never done any spring re-arching before.

·
P.B.A.
4,345 Posts
Buy rubicon express 1445’s. By the time you pay someone to rebend your springs it will be the same.

It you want to add more lift I’ve heard of guys bending they’re own springs a little like you said. But they always bend back or get weak and break. I believe there’s a thread about it.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Yes, I have done it using my HF 20 ton press. Take the leaf spring pack apart, and sit the main leaf with the eyes on the ground with the arch up. Measure the distance from the floor to the top of the leaf. Put the leaf in press starting at one end. Take it VERY easy with the bending at first so as to not over bend the spring. It is better to have to make a few passes down the length of the spring pressing just a little harder each time until you get the desired result.
Make a very slight bend every 3-6". Check as you go just like the original measurement until you get the desired 2" of lift. Then bend all the remaining leafs to match the main.

·
P.B.A.
4,345 Posts
Yes, I have done it using my HF 20 ton press. Take the leaf spring pack apart, and sit the main leaf with the eyes on the ground with the arch up. Measure the distance from the floor to the top of the leaf. Put the leaf in press starting at one end. Take it VERY easy with the bending at first so as to not over bend the spring. It is better to have to make a few passes down the length of the spring pressing just a little harder each time until you get the desired result.
Make a very slight bend every 3-6". Check as you go just like the original measurement until you get the desired 2" of lift. Then bend all the remaining leafs to match the main.
How well do they hold up or do they sag pretty quick? This is what I remember reading.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
How well do they hold up or do they sag pretty quick? This is what I remember reading.
We did it on a friends XJ rear springs, and I did it on some YJ springs I was running on my Samurai that got bent from rough wheeling. It has been many years, but I believe it lost a little over time. My advice would be to go a little past the amount you want so it settles close to the desired amount.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you guys.

I'm confident that I could re-arch my yj's on the press......and still considering it.
The local spring shop wants $600 to re-arc my yj's. They said that an "add-a-leaf" would be necessary when doing so.......presumably to keep the new / taller arc? Anyway, it's something I would tackle myself.

More thots on re-arching.......

How would I want the "arc" to look? As in, what shape should the springs be, a crescent shape with more arc in the center section of the leafs, and lee toward the eyes? Or......a parabola shape? Equal arc the full length of the leaf, right to the eyes?
Thinking depending on which shape I choose the rate / linear vs progression may change some?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Thank you guys.

I'm confident that I could re-arch my yj's on the press......and still considering it.
The local spring shop wants $600 to re-arc my yj's. They said that an "add-a-leaf" would be necessary when doing so.......presumably to keep the new / taller arc? Anyway, it's something I would tackle myself.

More thots on re-arching.......

How would I want the "arc" to look? As in, what shape should the springs be, a crescent shape with more arc in the center section of the leafs, and lee toward the eyes? Or......a parabola shape? Equal arc the full length of the leaf, right to the eyes?
Thinking depending on which shape I choose the rate / linear vs progression may change some?
Many years ago, a buddy of mine worked at a shop that did spring work, welding etc. The way they would re-arch springs is to take the pack apart, start with the main leaf, and one guy would hold it while another guy beat on it with a sledgehammer. There is no rocket science going on at any spring shop.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts