Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a lot of searching, but does anyone have any links to some leaf spring links that go over proper hanger, shackle, mounting surface angle/position. I know that leafs are pretty straight forward, but just looking for some info. I'm in the process of fabing up a CJ7 frame and want to get the spring geometry right the first time.

·
Premium Member
2,214 Posts
X2 I've got a trailer frame done and some YJ leafs in the back of my pickup.

·
Trail Tampon
6,028 Posts
i dont know if any links for such information but there are only a couple things you really need to know...

at ride hight/weight the shackle should be at 45*
keep the leafs as straight as possible

other than that, they kinda set them selves up...

now if you are talking how to build your own bastard leafs, that is a whole different story

·
Registered
928 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i dont know if any links for such information but there are only a couple things you really need to know...

at ride hight/weight the shackle should be at 45*
keep the leafs as straight as possible

other than that, they kinda set them selves up...

now if you are talking how to build your own bastard leafs, that is a whole different story
When you say keep the leafs as straight as possible, are you refering to the angle tangent to the center pin, relative to the level ground? In other words if you but a spring plate above the leaf pack it would be parallel with the ground. Also how crucial is the 45* mark, is it pretty sensitive or +/-10 to 20 degrees?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Find a stock CJ with or without lift, and take measurments. I borrowed a freinds YJ when I streched my frame front and rear and tried to match the stock setup. Use a level to find out differences in the hangers and keep that similar and the length from eye to eye. Hope that is clear as mud. Turnned out good for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,472 Posts
45º to the frame/ground is one rule of thumb.
Another school of thought is that the shackle should be roughly perpendicular to the end of the spring right before the eye.
That angle is going to depend on the leaf setup. A leaf spring that is flat at rest is not going to extend the shackle when articulating, so all the extra shackle travel can be concentrated on compression.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts