Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When mounting the axle to the springs, I know it's most common to run the u-bolts around the axle tube, up to a retainer plate. THe bolts run parallel to the frame & for a spring over application, when looking from the side, you see ' U '

Are there any problems / drawbacks (besides the bolts hanging low) to use 'square' cornered u-bolts and run the bolt over the springs then using a plate (i.e. what comes with the late 70's Fords then) under the axle to connect up? Looking from the front in this case is where you see the upside-down,square U.

·
Registered
591 Posts
No.

When I ran a sprung under lift configuration I used square bolts and ubolt plates from a dodge. This allowed me to keep the ends of the ubolts away from the rocks. When I swirched over to a sprung over suspension I used standard ubolts and fashioned my own plates for the top of the spring packs. The goal, as always, is to have maximum clearance under the axle tubes and not to have stuff hanging down that will get buggered by the rocks.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
look under the back of just about any full size truck and this is exactly what you will find.

Just curious it sounds like your thinking of going to this style of U-bolt on a SOA?

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am looking at doing this SOA on the front. I'm running short on time and leaving this configuration will be quicker. I know there's more scrapping / hitting to happen here, I'll deal with that for now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts