Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my ARB compressor for about two months now. It leaks (pours) out all the time. I have asked the professional that installed it and my locker, why does it leak. His answer is simply that he overfilled it and it will do that.

Well, now two months later there is so much oil leaking from it that it spills out from under my hood and runs down the fender. What the hell should I do? It works when I engage the locker. But it shoots out oil like a live well.

HELP :confused: I'm a little confused. :jeep3:

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
What axle?
have you tired draining it so the fluid is at the proper level? (do this first)
after the fluid is filled up correctly, See if it only leaks (oil) when the ARB is on, or if it leaks oil just when your driving

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

It's an 8.8 axle. But there is no leaks around the axle. It just pours out from the top of the compressor. :confused:

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Call ARB USA and ask them. It sounds like a bad seal from the factory.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Droopy said:
I've had my ARB compressor for about two months now. It leaks (pours) out all the time. I have asked the professional that installed it and my locker, why does it leak. His answer is simply that he overfilled it and it will do that.

Well, now two months later there is so much oil leaking from it that it spills out from under my hood and runs down the fender. What the hell should I do? It works when I engage the locker. But it shoots out oil like a live well.

HELP :confused: I'm a little confused. :jeep3:
That IS confusing, the "ARB compressor" is an "oil-less" compressor. No oil, nowhere for it to pour out from.

Could it be that you have a York or other type of compressor being used to provide air to your "ARB lockers"?

Sorry I can't help but oil pouring out from the top of an ARB compressor doesn't make sense to me.
:confused:
Good luck,

·
Registered
213 Posts
you have to be running something other than an *ARB* compressor. i would check the seals.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
help us help you.... where exactly is it leaking from? out of the solenoid or the gasket that connects the body to the tank?

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ARB

I know I'm a newbie here, but I know I have an ARB compressor. I also know that "stuff" (whether it is oil, grease, water, canola oil, vaseline, milk, etc.) shoots out of the top of it. As a matter of fact, my hood has spray marks right above it where the "stuff" shoots out at. Also, as I previously stated, it shoots out so much and hard sometimes that it runs down my hood and onto my fender.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Picture

I'll try to get a picture up of it tomorrow. I wiped half of the inside of the hood off to see if it leaks without me even engaging it. I guess I'll find out after I drive tomorrow.

·
Registered
722 Posts
maybe water?

Check to see if it is water. Mine get's fairly hot and water condenses inside it. It doesn't leak much from the compressor but it does come out the hose when I air up my tires.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Droopy said:
I have asked the professional that installed it and my locker, why does it leak. His answer is simply that he overfilled it and it will do that.
Droop, I'd question this "professional" because there is nothing to fill or overfill on an ARB compressor.

The solenoid valve will release a little *air* pressure (a short pissst sound). That's it, really. Take a good look for something else, crankcase vent hose loose?

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
???

There's nothing to fill on it? Now I'm confused. The professional, trusted shop (that turns out several Jeeps a month with mods) said that he did to mine what he does to all of them. He thinks he overfilled it.

I know that it is not water. It is a black/brown consistency and greasy. :confused:

THANK YOU ALL FOR HELPING AND TRYING!!!

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
welndmn said:

have you tired draining it so the fluid is at the proper level? (do this first)
after the fluid is filled up correctly, See if it only leaks (oil) when the ARB is on, or if it leaks oil just when your driving
Hello? i have delt with a lot of ARB, pumping oil out the compressor is a common install mistake, It pumps it out of the soliiond

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks

Hello? i have delt with a lot of ARB, pumping oil out the compressor is a common install mistake, It pumps it out of the soliiond
Thanks

Here is the underside of my hood

and here is the ARB. Notice how on the compressor and scattered everywhere that there is oil stuff everywhere.

·
Registered
896 Posts
welndmn said:
First, I'm no expert and have only dealt with my own set-up. I am interesting in learning more about the "common install mistake" you are referring to.

I understand that a faulty and leaking air fittting inside the diff could pressurize the diff. Of course the axle vents would relieve this pressure and possibly discharge some gear oil, especially if the diff was over filled. It seems a leaky fitting would also cause the compressor to cylce on fequently when the locker was engaged.

Welndmn, are you saying that gear oil from the diff moves up the air line to be discharged from the solenoid?

Droppy, does your compressor continue to cycle on when the locker is engaged? If so, there must be a leak downstream of the solenoid. How about when the compressor is on but the locker is not engaged? If so, there must be a leak at the compressor.

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
Thats what i was tring to figure out,
ARB's can pump oil out the soliiond
1. Plugged Vent
2. Air leak (follows by compressor running all the time, but this is more common to pump out the vent line, not the soiliod)
3. over full diff
4 to much bearing pre load
4. something rubbing against the seal housing (the thing with copper line coming off it) in effent prealoading that seal housing

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
after looking at the pic it is definitely just diff fluid creeping back up the line and being spit out of the solenoid at ARB disengagement. Nothing to be overly concerned about except for the mess, but do goahead and fix it.

My rear has done it for 5+ years. Aparently not as bad as yours, the underside of my hood just stays a bit greasy. Odds are that the o-rings that keep the diff fluid out of the seal housing area are bad. Usually b/c of in-proper installation (were not oiled enough when put on, got pinched or someting of the sort).

I don't see how overfilling the diff has anything to do w/ blow-by through the solenoid. The ARB has no idea how much fluid is in the axle nor does it care. You could fill it until it comes out of the vent tube and it still will not cause blow-by through the o-rings; the ARB is a self contained system.

I think that is it for now.... :D

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
yeah my front axle sends oil to the compressor too. Started like one year after the install.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts