Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently had to pull my spicer 18 case to replace a front cap after i busted the torque mount ear. after putting it back in i had a pretty bad leak. i attributed this to the blue gasket i used. so i pulled it again, used real gaskets and put it back. still leaks BADLY on the highway only though? one or two drops on the trail but doing 65 MPH seems to suck the gear oil right out. anybody else have this problem or advice before i yank the case for the third time in 2 months? thanks

·
Registered
32,458 Posts
I had leakage problems with plain gaskets. I've been running toyota FIPG sealant for a while now with no leaks anywhere. It's leaks at the yokes I was plagued by for a while

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my yokes are not leaking (yet i am sure) luckily. the oil seems to be coming from the top of the t-case near the top right bolt that bolts the case to the adapter plate but i can't really tell b/c of limited visibility. by the way, what is toyota FIPG sealant? thanks

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
Is the oil coming out the breather? I had to run a piece of tube on mine up to the firewall because the oil would pour out the breather when traveling at high speed.

·
Registered
32,458 Posts
Originally posted by Marc:
<STRONG>my yokes are not leaking (yet i am sure) luckily. the oil seems to be coming from the top of the t-case near the top right bolt that bolts the case to the adapter plate but i can't really tell b/c of limited visibility. by the way, what is toyota FIPG sealant? thanks</STRONG>
FIPG is a toyota version of RTV. Sets in 15 minutes, dries in an hour and is quite likely the best all around sealant I've used.

·
Registered
32,458 Posts
Originally posted by old jeep:
<STRONG>Is the oil coming out the breather? I had to run a piece of tube on mine up to the firewall because the oil would pour out the breather when traveling at high speed.</STRONG>
I bet thats it. I forgot about the stock breather. I replaced mine and ran a line a long time ago

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i had already thought about the breather. i ran a tube going to the firewall when i first built the jeep. i did not put a hose clamp on it so i thought this might be it, but it did not stop after the hose clamp was installed. i checked today and lost about a quart of gear oil in 150 miles!!! i have got to figure this out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just a thought of the obviouse wich I am sure you checked. some of the bolts run into the case. As memory recalls the bolts half way up on the left side run into the case. Make sure all the holes have bolts in them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
all 5 bolts are in. I thought that all of the bolt holes were blind but i will make sure to put teflon tape on them when i put it back together.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
pulled the t-case today. found out that the gasket that i bought did not seal around the upper right hand bolt probably becasue of the adapter used to hook the 18 up to the t-98 is a strange shape. will probably have to go with the blue gasket or something. thanks for the help

·
Registered
329 Posts
I rebuilt my tcase (d-18) because it was cracked so i had i guy weld it to get rid of the leak now it leaks worse, and its cracked on both sides of his weld. Recently, its rerally started leaking bad, dumps so much oil its soaks the bottom of the jeep and even gets on the outside and comes up thru the floor. I have a sm420 with a adapter too. What i can not figure out is why i always have water in the oil, my breather is up on the fire wall, and i have not drive thru any water latly after i changed the oil last month and it has water in it again. Is it just condensation from heating up when driving and then cooling off, I would think if the tcase did this then the other gears would.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts