Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my D300 is leaking at the shift rails...it's got the 231/D300 setup flipped in an XJ...does anybody have any advice...

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
so my D300 is leaking at the shift rails...it's got the 231/D300 setup flipped in an XJ...does anybody have any advice...
PM Timmay if he doesn't post up in here. He ran a 231/300 flipped in his XJ before he went with a Chevy D60 and am pretty sure he didn't have much for leaking.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
check it b4 each ride and make sure its full....j/k my 242 leaks a little out of the tail cone and thats what i do,its just a drop here and there though nothing major yet

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i'm trying to avoid having to do that....i just do want the leak to get bigger....i've lost the seal between the 231 and the 300 a bit....i've got to pull it out and re-RTV it or something....

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,125 Posts
Some guys will stuff two seals in the shift rail holes, but definitely clean up the rails first.

For the seal between them, you need to RTV completely around the clocking ring where it mounts to the D300, and also where it mounts to the 231 adapter plate. If you don't do both sides the NP231 fluid will leak out. If it's the D300 leaking from there, you've got other issues...namely the input bearing retainer seal.

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
I better go take mine apart then.

:D
Coooool. I read somewhere about someone thinking the output of the 300 wouldn't clear.

Did you have to do anything "special"? I'd be a lot more interested in the doubler knowing that I can flip the 300 on the 231 to get drivers' drop.

·
Premium Member
11,125 Posts
I don't think you can run a flipped 300 with a 231/300 doubler.

edit: maybe you can. Not too sure. I know I had thought about it but I heard you couldn't do that so IDK.
Huh? :confused:

Another worthless post from james. SPOBI :flipoff2:

You're an ass. Tim ran his like that.

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
Huh? :confused:

Another worthless post from james. SPOBI :flipoff2:

You're an ass. Tim ran his like that.
No, Tim flipped the whole shebang and re-drilled the trans...I thought...thats what I remember anyways. I remember talking about flipping just the 300, and I remember someone, not sure who, telling me that it probably wouldn't work. Good to know that they were wrong. :D

edit: and what the fuck is SPOBI?

EDIT2: Found it.

·
Premium Member
11,125 Posts
No, Tim flipped the whole shebang and re-drilled the trans...I thought...thats what I remember anyways. I remember talking about flipping just the 300, and I remember someone, not sure who, telling me that it probably wouldn't work. Good to know that they were wrong. :D
So your concern has nothing to do with flipping the 300, and everything to do with flipping the 231. Which has nothing to do with this thread. :D

Flipping the 231 makes it so you can actually shift it. Otherwise the output is directly next to the yoke.

IMO, drilling a couple holes in the trans tailhousing is a lot less work and effort than trying to negotiate the shifter on a non-flipped 231.

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
So your concern has nothing to do with flipping the 300, and everything to do with flipping the 231. Which has nothing to do with this thread. :D

Flipping the 231 makes it so you can actually shift it. Otherwise the output is directly next to the yoke.

IMO, drilling a couple holes in the trans tailhousing is a lot less work and effort than trying to negotiate the shifter on a non-flipped 231.
Yes, it concerns flipping the 300. Flipping the 300 (as in buying a flip kit) to run behind the 231 oriented in the regular way. Thats what I was asking about, and thats what I remember hearing as well:

Thats all I was trying to confirm. :D

·
Premium Member
11,125 Posts
Yes, it concerns flipping the 300. Flipping the 300 (as in buying a flip kit) to run behind the 231 oriented in the regular way.
No...the 300 winds up in the same spot whether you flip the 231 or not. Why would you buy a flip kit instead of just rotating the clocking ring 180*? Flipping the 231 doesn't make the 300 stay un-flipped...

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
No...the 300 winds up in the same spot whether you flip the 231 or not. Why would you buy a flip kit instead of just rotating the clocking ring 180*? Flipping the 231 doesn't make the 300 stay un-flipped...
Ok. I get that. Now, riddle me this. To keep drivers' drop (which I want to and probably will do forever) I can:

1) flip the 231/300 combo, re-drilling the trans tailhousing for the flipped 231
2) flip the 300 ON the 231 oriented the normal way.

Am I right or wrong? Option 2 is what I heard will not work.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Ok. I get that. Now, riddle me this. To keep drivers' drop (which I want to and probably will do forever) I can:

1) flip the 231/300 combo, re-drilling the trans tailhousing for the flipped 231
2) flip the 300 ON the 231 oriented the normal way.

Am I right or wrong? Option 2 is what I heard will not work.
You have to flip both of them...otherwise the front output on the 300 will come into contact with the 231.

I haven't finished that write up I posted up for you yet, but if you read far enough you can see my home made flip kit. All it really lacks, however, is bolting it together and putting some Lomax's in it.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
You have to flip both of them...otherwise the front output on the 300 will come into contact with the 231.

I haven't finished that write up I posted up for you yet, but if you read far enough you can see my home made flip kit. All it really lacks, however, is bolting it together and putting some Lomax's in it.

Really, that's it?:D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts