Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My good friend is having his second kid this now makes a family of 4 the 4x4 Toyota has to go and he is looking at k5.

Whats the good the bad and the ugly on these things. He would like the 73 body style but it seems the 80s body is more common. sometimes a Daily driver most the time a family wheeler.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
oh hell..

im first bitches!!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is there any years he should avoid, any transmissions to avoid, any other things to look for or to avoid?

Do they all have certain problems that he should look for?

I know jeeps and i know what to look for on the Yj and Cj but I don't really know much about the k5 other than 10 bolts front and rear and some had the 700r4 I know he is looking for the 350s only. What axle ratios were available In the stock form of a k5?

Pretty much just looking at the 73 style and 85 style k5s.

And thanks for the pirate politeness so far.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Is there any years he should avoid, any transmissions to avoid, any other things to look for or to avoid?

Do they all have certain problems that he should look for?

I know jeeps and i know what to look for on the Yj and Cj but I don't really know much about the k5 other than 10 bolts front and rear and some had the 700r4 I know he is looking for the 350s only. What axle ratios were available In the stock form of a k5?

Pretty much just looking at the 73 style and 85 style k5s.

And thanks for the pirate politeness so far.
God, You're a fawking dipshit :shaking:
Are you seriously so lazy that you won't search information that is READILY available online.You can learn a bunch about K5's and all K series trucks by reading threads and tech info online.

HINT! Search 73-91 K5 in google,Read threads on here that are K5 specific,And there's even CK5 thats a fully dedicated site for those trucks. I did about as much contributing as i feel like.

Now go fawk a blender:flipoff2:

·
Registered
40 Posts
good luck

K5's suck don't buy them, they will make you spend all your money.
true true especially on gas, well mainly on gas.

K5s suck Offroad. You need something more hardcore, like a 4 door jeep. Bye.
must be a gay thing:flipoff2:I had a 4dr jeep and stock to stock k5 has way more capable power and handling off road takes more for a cherokee to be as capable as a stock k5 in my opinion. I got way better gas mileage in the jeep though i do miss that. but my 79' k5 is stock with 31" tires right now and it is very fun on the trail. especially with all time 4 wheel drive. these guys are right too research some shit because everyone here is too hardcore:flipoff2: lmao!! I learned a lot from a more k5 specific forum which ill let you find so I wont get flamed for repping another forum:flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
must be a gay thing:flipoff2:I had a 4dr jeep and stock to stock k5 has way more capable power and handling off road takes more for a cherokee to be as capable as a stock k5 in my opinion. I got way better gas mileage in the jeep though i do miss that. but my 79' k5 is stock with 31" tires right now and it is very fun on the trail. especially with all time 4 wheel drive. these guys are right too research some shit because everyone here is too hardcore:flipoff2: lmao!! I learned a lot from a more k5 specific forum which ill let you find so I wont get flamed for repping another forum:flipoff2:
You totally missed his sarcasm. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
true true especially on gas, well mainly on gas.

are you talking about that forum......let me think.........i think it's in Kansas,.....no .......California....no .............i dont know, then something about 5 ,..........hmmmmm........there was a letter before the 5...........hmmmm ..........A5 .......no ..........L5 ..........no....... fuck i don't know where you could find info on C/K5's. hmmmm, you might try asking in the NEWBY 4x4 section. like said earlier, searching and searching is your friend.

FWIW: body rust and Frame cracking is the major issue, especially with the earlier 70's rigs. personally i would get a later model fuel injected truck with a better frame and swap some better axles and suspension under it. a later model 90's Tahoe with a solid axle swap, good springs, working A/C, and some transfer case improvements should work really well. if his household is anything like mine, if the wife condemns the new truck as a POS because he always is pouring money into it and it rides like shit, then it would be better to start with a better foundation to begin with. if he could find a manual trans rig from the beginning then no transmission improvements would be needed. if he wants to see a built Tahoe then check Powerblock Tv's Xtreme4x4 build of the one they did. in the end it was kickass, but the progression of upgrades they did will really give your buddy an idea what he's in for.

finally, let him know a fullsize chevy is an expensive proposition. i have more into my front axle and driveshafts than my buddies running toyota's have into thier whole rigs. if you want it capable then it's gonna cost you.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Just about every K5 had 3.73's for gearing. Some in the 80's had steeper gears (3.08's and stuff). Depending on how large of a tire he wants, 3.73's might be just fine (33's or 35's would prob do fine). Another common problem the chevy's have is the frame likes to crake at the steering box. Offroad Design makes a weld on and bolt on steering box brace to fix this. Other than that, just do some searches on here and look at peoples build threads to see what you can do. There are a lot of cheap ways to build these things, just have to search around. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
just find the coolest looking one. those are always the best. dont forget to wear your flatbilled hat when you drive it

1 - 20 of 47 Posts