Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just a FYI for you guys that carry lights.
Seems like I spend half my time in the dark working on my junk or fumbling around in hard to see areas. I used to always carry a mag lite until I got one of these LED lights...
Bought mine at Target for $24

http://www.pumaknives.com/index.php?v=26&pl=125&p=410

100,000 hours LED bulbs (white cold light)
200 hours of light continuous, I left mine on in my pocket overnight and still going strong after 20 hours left on.
You could leave it on for NINE days straight! They use very little power
takes three 1.5 v batteries $2.00 at Walmart for two

bennett

·
Registered
14,282 Posts
bennett said:

100,000 LED bulbs
:eek:

That sucker must be six feet in diameter! :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
I agree LED lights are awesome...

I have a Lightwave 4000 I got off ebay....

Here is another one on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2302465712&category=20760

They are great for under 100 feet, and then they don't work so well... I believe you need BOTH.. maglite and an LED light.. LED is great for working on something in the dark or looking in the bushes nearby... but if you want to look hundreds and hundreds of feet away a maglite or LED SPOTLIGHT($200+) are the only options...

I have been able to shine my mag lite across rivers and the led just doesn't go the distance (literaly) but for close-up use LED is the best!!

:)

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
About a year ago I ditched all my bulb lights and bought 3 LED lights. They work great, I will never go back. Drop them the bulb does not break, put in a new set of batteries and you will probably loose the light before the batteries go dead!

·
Registered
814 Posts
Another good thing to have is a LED head lamp. Its a small unit with 3 LED's and has a band that goed around your head. I think its powered by a AAA bat but Im not pos. I use it all the time fixing broken shit in the dark! Any outdoor shop should sell them.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have been looking at those LED lights for over a year ... Hummm I just need to go buy one. I just have been wondering if they where worth it, it looks and sounds like they are.

·
Hophead
77,673 Posts
big bad Jeepster said:
Another good thing to have is a LED head lamp. Its a small unit with 3 LED's and has a band that goed around your head. I think its powered by a AAA bat but Im not pos. I use it all the time fixing broken shit in the dark! Any outdoor shop should sell them.
I am so tired of holding a flashlight in my teeth (did it again this Saturday, and notice it never shines where you need it?) I DEFINITELY need a head lamp

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Be aware that some of the LED lights take lithium special sized batteries... my freind has one that take $15 worth of batteries (two) to refill it.
Thats why I like the Triplex.. same size as a Mag lite and uses
1.5 V batts.

bennett

·
Registered
740 Posts
bennett said:
Be aware that some of the LED lights take lithium special sized batteries... my freind has one that take $15 worth of batteries (two) to refill it.
Thats why I like the Triplex.. same size as a Mag lite and uses
1.5 V batts.

bennett
What size batteries? AA, C, D? That page doesn't specify.

--Dan

·
Registered
657 Posts
Black Diamond Moonlight Headlamp

I use this one for mountaineering and also take it wheeling - 70+ hours of light with three AAA batteries - just don't look you buddies in the eyes with it on!

It's good enough to keep my ass from walking off (or falling off :p ) the tip of disappointment cleaver on Mt Rainier at 2am... :flipoff2:

You can buy it here or at most outdoor places ~28-30$

http://blackdiamondequipment.com/backcountry/headlamps_moonlight.html

Matt

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Most of the tool trucks are carrying some sort of LED flashlights now. I got a lightwave 11 LED light that uses two D cell batteries. I bought that light back in November, I have not turned it off once since then, and it is still on the same batteries. I am trying to convince the service manager in my shop to buy all the techs LED lights, just for the savings on the cost of batteries.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts