Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard stories from down under of the Daihatsu Rocky Pitman which is nearly flat and would fit a toyota ifs box. I have seen a few Rockys on the road but thats it, I figured that this myth would remain that a myth, until as fate would have it I discovered a Rocky at the pick-n-pull. Some wrenching and $10 later I had my very own Daihatsu Rocky pitman arm. It turns out that the Rocky arm is indeed nearly flat with about a 1/2"-3/4" of drop, and is about 1/2"-3/4" shorter hole to hole. The more important thing is that the pitman arm has the same number of splines (-1) as a toy pitman arm and it has the same taper. The one catch is that the rocky arm has a solid keyed section in the splines. No big deal I just broke out the sawzall and cut the "missing" spline into the keyed section and it fit like it was made for it. (I suppose this could also be done the other way by grinding out one spline from the sector shaft)
The rocky arm also has a press in type insert like the toy ifs arm which you can grind out. This insert though is larger than the toy ifs one so fitting a standard insert is not exactly the same but it can be made to work with some grinding, pounding, and gap filling to weld in.
I got lucky in the fact that this arm cleared my frame with my box in it's current location on my frame but I only have about an 1/8" of clearance between the castle nut and frame when turning. Even though it is a bit shorter than the toyota pitman arm I can still get lock to lock on my D44.

I have no pictures yet but I'll take some as soon as I get my camara back from my girlfriend. :D

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know what year it was but I can't imaging that they are too much diffirent.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
why dont you just use a toy 2wd pu pitman arm they are pretty flat and easier to find.....
the top arm on the box is the 2wd arm
the middle one is a fj80 arm
and the bottom one is a toy 4wd arm...
and the box is from a fj80

Attachments

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Islandzuki said:
why dont you just use a toy 2wd pu pitman arm they are pretty flat and easier to find.....
I happened to find a daihatsu arm thats why! :flipoff2:
Really though I have heard that running the 2wd arm requires more modiication to the sector shaft on the 4wd ifs box. What did you have to do to mount up the 2wd arm?
Also I think that the 2wd arm is quite abit shorter than even the Daihatsu arm, and I was afraid that to short an arm may make getting the full range of steering not possible. But it looks like you got it going on.
How do you like the 2wd arm?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Blue-Beard said:
I happened to find a daihatsu arm thats why! :flipoff2:
Really though I have heard that running the 2wd arm requires more modiication to the sector shaft on the 4wd ifs box. What did you have to do to mount up the 2wd arm?
Also I think that the 2wd arm is quite abit shorter than even the Daihatsu arm, and I was afraid that to short an arm may make getting the full range of steering not possible. But it looks like you got it going on.
How do you like the 2wd arm?
Modification????? Um i have put a few 2wd pitman arms on to 4wd boxes and they just bolt right up no mods needed.....

·
Registered
317 Posts
thats cool, we heve more rockys then trucks over here :D

so, whats els good to use? are there any other legends out there ??? :D

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
stomper4x4 said:
Modification????? Um i have put a few 2wd pitman arms on to 4wd boxes and they just bolt right up no mods needed.....
from what I had read it seemed that to use the 2wd arm on the 4wd box you had to grind 3 or so of the splines off each side of the shaft. :confused:

·
Banned
9,402 Posts
Yes, the shorter the pitman arm the more force is required to steer the wheels and less total steering angle. But remember that the other part of the equations is what length steering arms you are using.

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
LESS input force required to steer w/ a shorter pitman... ;)

·
Banned
9,402 Posts
Well after thinking it about more your right. It would be less forces thru the steering wheel to produce the same force at the tires with a shorter pitman arm. I was wrong....

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
it seems llike it is harder to get mine set up right with a shorter arm i have an fj60 steering box on mine. it doesn't seem like i have enough radius to turn lock to lock. i think i made my arm a little to short.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Blue-Beard said:
from what I had read it seemed that to use the 2wd arm on the 4wd box you had to grind 3 or so of the splines off each side of the shaft. :confused:
What year is this 2wd pitman arm from? i need one that will fit the ifs box.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Blue-Beard said:
I don't know what year it was but I can't imaging that they are too much diffirent.
What year arms do you use and does it make a difference if it is P/S or non-P/S that the arms come off of?

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Does the 2WD have a hole or a joint in it? Just curious I know you can pop the joint out if it has one. if the 2wd makes it a bit easier to turn(shorter) and obviously is flatter that might be the thing for me. I dont think I have ever seen a rocky in the local yards here.

BTW good topic

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
Islandzuki said:
heres a pic of how flat it sits on my zuk
What steering box are you running? Just curious cuz you mounted the box with the arm facing forward and with steering arms facing forward. Could come in handy when I help my buddy redo his front coil suspension.

EDIT: just reread your first post... so an fj80 spins the oposite of an ifs box?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
94toytruck said:
Does the 2WD have a hole or a joint in it? Just curious I know you can pop the joint out if it has one. if the 2wd makes it a bit easier to turn(shorter) and obviously is flatter that might be the thing for me. I dont think I have ever seen a rocky in the local yards here.

BTW good topic
It has a tapered hole in it...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts