Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After a lengthy buildup in 2004 and a year of competing and wheeling in 2005, I figured it was time to cut it all up and do it again. :flipoff2:

Plans are new tube work, flat belly, boat sides, fuel cell, flat dash, control arm mount rework, shock rework.

Swap NV4500 for a 727 or swap motor and tranny for SBC and th350.

Started with this...

Chopping down phase...

14bolt shaved, plated and tig welded

Custom bent skid,boat side,cowl protection...

More to come.......

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
wow. that's a big skid. :eek:

how was it cut? have a friend in the laser business? it looks clean.

are you keeping the stock tj column or going with something simpler?

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was cut on torch table. Very clean cuts after you knock the slag off.

Adding a removable Grant wheel and keeping the column for now.

Skid looks big but it will be a great platform for the tube work and control arms.

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks...

I had a problem last year getting hung up on the big lip of the 14bolt and my front lower crossmember. The plan is to get the sides and bottom totally flat so I can bounce right over the rocks. :D

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, either selling just the 4500 and going with a 727, if it will fit, or selling both and going with a tbi 350/th350 or 5.0 and some auto.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Looks very cool, any pics of the crossmember in place? Are you going to make a removeable center panel so you can service the trans/tcase?

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just got it bent up last night. The center is removable. We'll be fitting it up this weekend. I have some frame cleanup to do first. Originally it was going to be one piece, but the bender said it was too big so we cut it in three pieces. There will be countersunk bolts for the center piece.

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Spent all of 04 building it, all of 05 wheeling/competing, and now have to make some upgrades/modifications to be more competitive this year. :D

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
So I guess heading over to Rockport next weekend is out.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
looks good and your still farther along than i am

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got the skid into place last night. Working on some frame spacers and gussets tonight. After the skid in place, we can start working on the tube foundation/floors.

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
More spy pics...

Skid welded in place, started to weld in gussets. I'll be cutting some metal strips to put on top of them for floor supports. The gussets come up to the bottom of the floor.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Are you going to stay with the fox air shocks? If so, aren't you're running the 2.0's, will you up to the 2.5's for weight reasons? Looking good :smokin:

1 - 20 of 69 Posts