Pirate 4x4 banner

61 - 80 of 270 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
so i just got a street registration on my toyota crawler and that meens ive got everyting on it, mud flats, both plates, mirror,s doors, windows.
now when im on the trail im going to have all that stuff off because it gets in the way, (and mudflats look retarded anyway), so am i going to get cited for not having that stuff on my truck unless i have a dual registration with a green sticker too, along with my regular street registration?

·
Registered
363 Posts
YouTube - Cool Hand Luke clip

The dual registration thing - where street legal gets a ticket while on the Rubicon Trail while green stickers do not is morally and ethically bankrupt.

My front license plate got so beat up on the rocks last trip it will probably split apart the next trip. Oh I know, I'll build a special mount on the roof (yeah right :shaking:).

Think about what is being said here - the green sticker laws were created for off highway use recognizing that vehicles do not have to follow "street legal rules" while on trails. The legislature never intended this artifical distinction of street legal vehicles having to make believe the Rubicon Trail is a highway while green sticker does not.

Officiers are approved/suggested to do it - otherwise they would be told to stop, no sense arguing - stay silent and take it to court. It is cs hassle - don't push that junk if your front license plate is missing then you're likely a bigger criminal. If a cop wants to look someone over closer there are a thousand ways to do it without writing a ticket.

Want to hassle me, then hassle me but be honest about it - don't piss up my back and tell me its raining.

Edit: I'd say write the AG Jerry Brown and the ACLU but they're busy this month with the roadless rule :flipoff2: Wait for some number of people to come forward with these tickets (6 to 10?). Could attempt to pry open the records for statistic history but likely will get refused. Dave Cox was voted "Outstanding Senator for 2007" by the California State Sheriffs' Association, get him and assemblyman Ted Gaines in the loop on this subject. Ask that the law be clarified or changed.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Are there more heineous violations out there than the expired registration, absolutely, but the minor violations lead to the more dangerous violations that we are really looking for i.e. open containers, DUI, weapons, etc.

That statement is absolutely absurd. :shaking:

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Ya, not running a plate is definitely a "gateway drug". First you decide to just run down the local grocery store with no front plate this one time because you just have to get the cup of sugar. Next thing you know you are running no mud flaps on a 1mph trail and a "menace to society".

Everyone knows that if you are not running a front plate you are either a felon or gonna be one soon... :eek:

I can't wait to get up to the Rubicon to talk to the Sheriffs on the trail, NOT.

I have made a few mistakes on the road in the past and got caught. Although I have been pulled over maybe 7-8 times of my 20 years of driving experience, a few of those times have just resulted in a warning. A warning for an actual moving violation. Why so strict on license plates and other issues that are not really issues when using common sense? You don't have to issue a citation for stopping someone to say "no front plate please get one, oh btw have you been drinking". I don't any problem with leo's stopping people to ask questions if they are truly interested in "more dangerous violations".:shaking:

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
Edit...

If your driving a highway registered vehicle then all of the applicable equipment requirements need to be met, including current registration, front plates, windshields, and yes even insurance and valid drivers licenses.

Wheel safe
I have all of the above items met, but do I need to wheel with mud flaps on too?

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Debate

While I could spend endless hours debating the validity of law enforcement on the con it would probably end up being that we will all agree to disagree on many of the points.

I don't believe anyone has been issued a citation simply for no front license plate, there may have been some warned, but no citations for that violation only.

If your going to have a street legal registered vehicle on the con you have to have the proper equipment. If you have a green stickered vehicle on the con, you need the proper equipment. If you don't agree with the law, attempt to change it.
You can dual register or simply green sticker the vehicle and have it towed to the con. If your dual registered we are going to generally allow for the less restrictive requirements of the green sticker in regards to equipment.

Some have already been critical of my earlier posting, if you don't agree with it thats fine but lets at least keep to the facts and not resort to name calling. I try to follow the events and issues of the con thru this site as much as possible and occasionally put up posts to help clarify any questions and to try and keep open 2 way discussions on those issues that affect the Rubicon Trail.

Wheel safe

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
If your dual registered we are going to generally allow for the less restrictive requirements of the green sticker in regards to equipment.
Thanks Bernie, that's what I wanted to know. This seems like the reasonable way to handle this.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
Maybe better to know if window REMOVED and left in tow-rig... you towed your street legal/registered rig, and removed the windshield.

This I`m curious about.
So Todd, sounds like if you do this AND you are dual registered, they won't ticket you.

·
Registered
271 Posts
To finalize, if you are driving a vehicle that is green stickered, then only those equipment requirements need to be met. If your driving a highway registered vehicle then all of the applicable equipment requirements need to be met, including current registration, front plates, windshields, and yes even insurance and valid drivers licenses.

OK, great info....BUT, does this statement mean that if you are highway registered( Rubicon Trail is a highway per CVC) and green stickered(dual registered) that your vehicle must meet all highway registered vehicle requirements while on the trail?

Randii, has the El Dorado County board of supervisors, or the authority having jurisdiction designated the portion of Wentworth Springs Road commonly known as the Rubicon Jeep Trail as a combined use as defined in sections 38026-38026.5 of the CVC? If not, then, well you know:eek:

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
Thanks John, My rig is "street" registered only, and 100% street legal. I have huge mud flaps, as I hate driving my nice car behind people who don't! I've been pulling them off when on the trail to prevent damage to them. But sounds like it might be possible to get a ticket, and I fall into the group that just does not what the hassle.

Ok the FOTR work project is coming up this weekend and I will my run mud flaps :shaking:

On a side note I will pretend I'm in the 70's and letting everyone know where the Smokey's are at too.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
Randii, has the El Dorado County board of supervisors, or the authority having jurisdiction designated the portion of Wentworth Springs Road commonly known as the Rubicon Jeep Trail as a combined use as defined in sections 38026-38026.5 of the CVC? If not, then, well you know:eek:
It is combined use between the Chalet on loon Lake Road and Ellis Creek, as well as the traditional trail between Airport Flat and the County line at Rubicon Springs. It is NOT between Airport Flat and the beginning of dual use at Wentworth if you are on the newer paved portion, you must be on the traditional dirt route.

·
Premium Member
4,525 Posts
So would it be assumed that the leos would not hold up the flow of traffic on the trail when issuing citations. As in pull the offending vehicle(s) aside off the trail, or choose an area on the trail where passing is easy. You don't stop in the middle of the street when you get a ticket.

I would hate to see a HUGE traffic jam due to ticketing in a poor area of the trail, whereas there are many places with passing lanes.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
Ok the FOTR work project is coming up this weekend and I will my run mud flaps :shaking:
Running mud flaps when rock crawling sucks because it is SO easy to back up onto them and tear them off against a rock. In the long run, dual registration is the way to go.

I hear ya though...

·
Registered
271 Posts
It is combined use between the Chalet on loon Lake Road and Ellis Creek, as well as the traditional trail between Airport Flat and the County line at Rubicon Springs. It is NOT between Airport Flat and the beginning of dual use at Wentworth if you are on the newer paved portion, you must be on the traditional dirt route.
I am aware that it is combined use from chalet to kiosk and a small portion of WWS road at Airport flat but nowhere else. Read 38026 CVC.

·
Registered
363 Posts
If your going to have a street legal registered vehicle on the con you have to have the proper equipment. If you have a green stickered vehicle on the con, you need the proper equipment. If you don't agree with the law, attempt to change it.
I think the law is fine - the interpretation is in error. Much easier to get the state to advise the county than try to change a law that the legislature won't believe needs changing.

I drive to the trail using US50 - not towed. Let's say my vehicle is dual registered but once camping by the trail, I take off items that are only required on the street but not my green sticker. Am I in violation of the law?

If your dual registered we are going to generally allow for the less restrictive requirements of the green sticker in regards to equipment.
"Generally allow" generally means officer discretion - so when would it not be appropiate to allow a dual registered vehicle the less restrictive green sticker requirements?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Running mud flaps when rock crawling sucks because it is SO easy to back up onto them and tear them off against a rock. In the long run, dual registration is the way to go.

I hear ya though...

I have been following these type of threads for a while & do not recall anyone getting ticketed for not having mudflaps on the trail. (or for that matter any EDSO giving a c.s. ticket) I can assure you that if I were ticketed on the trail for not having flaps I would fight it in court.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I came out of the trail on the 16th, non legal front plate (it was sitting on my dash), no mudflaps, no fender flares, 37's that stick out 8" beyond my quarters, and clearly illegal exhaust. One of the guys behind me was even further out of road legality than I was, and another had broken windows (freshly broken, that is, you could see the glass there).

The sherrifs stopped me, asked if I had an illegal open fire (they did not ask if I had a permit for the camp stoves), asked if I had been firing a gun. No to all, asked if I had current registration, I said yes (they did not check - just asked), after which I was wished a save drive home and waved on.

They were polite and even friendly, although to the point. It was clear to me they were there to look for bigger violations .. so tell us, what did you do to earn the tickets? Other violations? attitude? loud music?

Those sherrifs were anything but petty.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have been following these type of threads for a while & do not recall anyone getting ticketed for not having mudflaps on the trail. (or for that matter any EDSO giving a c.s. ticket) I can assure you that if I were ticketed on the trail for not having flaps I would fight it in court.
I have little doubt that an officer willing to discuss it on message boards is the kind of officer I'd get along with in person. I'm not against officers having large discretion - but just like with a few trail users, there are problems that come up and need to be addressed.

My suggestion is post here when a ticket is issued based on having a street legal plate means you have to follow rules a green sticker does not. When it becomes a group (6 to 10) - then the practice can be stopped.

Sometimes "the law" must answer one way when asked but in practice never does it. I have refrained from comment because I saw this as a fear rather than a reality - it was the attempt at justifying the practice that got me to open my big mouth.

If I really believed this was a problem on the trail, I would even stop and get a ticket on the trail and start the court process myself. I am skeptical that this happens except in the more extreme circumstances where the person is already in hot water for a larger issue.

Going to court, a magistrate/judge is probably just going to parrot County policy and we'll have to run it up the ladder - a time consuming and potentially expensive process. I think giving a heads up to the state political structure that the County is causing "dual registration" as a need is a better start (but have to have those 6 to 10 example tickets).

I have experienced certain citations will just be "no show" in court from the ranger/officer so it gets thrown out - that way the court never calls it an invalid process and the practice can continue to make money. I tried running something up the ladder locally but "no show" and the judge dismissed it despite my objection. Haven't checked if El Dorado has the common policy if the officer is a "no show" to court they get dinged.

61 - 80 of 270 Posts