Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys, i have a 1985 k10 that i bought (pics posted later) the truck had sat for about 10 years when i bougt it. it took a couple hundred bucks and a day or two and it finally fired up, after that it ran and drove like a champ. brakes, trans and motor (350) all worked perfect.:D so i found a deal on the typical 6 inch lift (blocks and springs) and 35in claws with the 15in classic II's. still on the factory 10 bolts (both open) it was ok off road. but here is the kicker, 3 weeks after i got it all done, disaster! the truck was parked in front of my buddies house and BLAM a brand new BMW hit it doing about 50 MPH. :barf: it broke everything! trans case cracked in half, broke leafs, bent axle, broke shocks, u joints and brake lines. amongst many other things.:(
Here is where i need your help, i have the D60 and the 14BFF, 14 is in the truck, new trans in, but thats it. ive done a ton of research on all of this. the 60 swap, the "need" for the disk brake conv. "need" for highsteer or crossover? steering issues? braking issues? ive finally got the money together to start hacking on it, im no "auto idiot" i've got years of experience. i just can't tell what i NEED versus what is just a preference. I have been all over this forum drooling over all of yalls trucks, i have to get my truck back on the road and trails! i miss it. my 02 z71 just isnt quite the same as the rock hard ride of the old chevy.:smokin: THANK YOU in advance.
like i said, FLAME ON. i just need some help with the hurt :flipoff2:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thank you, but i am looking to run 37's or something like that. i should have put that in my original post, sorry.
ive read that i will need a 2wd steering box to make the D60 work? The steering doesnt look like it will be a direct bolt up deal.
i want a strong trail/rock rig, that i can still DD if i need to. but i do not have alot of $$ so i would rather get the needs taken care of before the "wants"
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
You'll want to do crossover with the 60 swap. You'll need a 2wd box, yes.

This thread won't go well for very long here. You need to read the sticky at the top, and head to the newb forum.

You should probably head to coloradok5 too, and read up there.

·
Premium Member
4,407 Posts
If you will ever use the truck in the dirt then at least do the cross over steering.

37s seem to be the new 33s of back in the day..Upgrade the axles breaks to rear disc and be sure to run some good pads all around.

There is a whealth of info here, just shut up and read up..Also off road design is a great place to get products from for a guy in your shoes as well as DIY4x

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, so i DO need to do the crossover steering. that makes sense, ive seen the gheto fab/hack jobs thread and i REFUSE to be a part of it lol:shaking:
i plan on making my own disk brake mounts for the rear, i also plan on making my own square drive shafts, thoughts on that?
ive done a k20 swap into a 94 civic coupe.
also a ls1 swap into an 89 c/k1500.
currently swapping an sr20 into a 95 240sx.
im not dumb when it comes to cars, im just not clear on what i NEED to make this D60 swap work.
thank yall for your responses, keep em comin if you can.:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i actually have two D60's and two 14BFF's, got a great deal on all of it (600 bucks)
but both sets i was told are out of matching 1987 V 30's
the set i'm using has 4.10's, spool in the rear, open front
the other set has 3.73's, open front and welded rear

·
Registered
1,251 Posts

·
Banned
3,384 Posts
ok, so i DO need to do the crossover steering. that makes sense, ive seen the gheto fab/hack jobs thread and i REFUSE to be a part of it lol:shaking:
i plan on making my own disk brake mounts for the rear, i also plan on making my own square drive shafts, thoughts on that?
ive done a k20 swap into a 94 civic coupe.
also a ls1 swap into an 89 c/k1500.
currently swapping an sr20 into a 95 240sx.
im not dumb when it comes to cars, im just not clear on what i NEED to make this D60 swap work.
thank yall for your responses, keep em comin if you can.:)
well as said before you dont need to do any of it, factory steering for the 60 is the same for the 10b/d44.
how ever if you plan to actually use the thing youll want crossover. youll also probably need a parking brake to go with your disk swap. which is something i think you have left out. i wouldnt worry about high steer untill you blow up a stock tie rod, depends on your driving style/what your driving in. some people drive over rocks, others into. the square drive shaft, no good for the back, maby for the front. prob easier to find the raw drive shaft parts online and build your own d shaft to get something legit. :smokin:

·
Registered
14,847 Posts
if you are going to go crossover, since you are going to have to get a 2wd box anyways buy the frame brace for these trucks, i had my truck with 38s for about a year with crossover that barely seen any action and it cracked the heck out of my frame. theres alot of side to side force

1 - 10 of 10 Posts