Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lets be honest--who runs what pipe/tube cages?

I'm just curious. After 2 solid days of reading this stuff and seeing arguements for both sides---I wanna see who has wht. The intention of this isn't for anybody to get flamed, as I strongly believe any type---even pvc has got to be better than nothin.

I do know people have trail tested their cages, so lets see em---before/after. Lets see the carnage after. Ive heard of some types of cages bending--some breaking and some becoming lethal spears, yet there are no pics.

Describe your flop, flip, roll, launch off a cliff--whatever it may be in your post.

Did you build it--if so where did you obtain the tube/pipe--friend---used toilet pipe--home depot--steel works---whereever.

I was involved in a discussion with one friend who had a black pipe from homedepot cage and one who built one from DOM, both looked relativly the same, but neither had tested, of course the same arguement as always had popped up whos was safer and whos was best bang for the $.

The intention of this thread is not to start a debate--give advise--flame people--but rather show what people have out there. If ya think its crap--keep it to yourself, heck save the pic and get a laugh now an then, however I'm sure there are those lurking that have what they believe is an inferior cage and are afraid to post it due to being flamed---for that im requesting that everyone please not to post negatives about cages. If you have advise--like gusseting adding braces--thats fine---but comments about materials/welding isn't the idea.

also dont post the tube is better than pipe debates--we have all heard it and if not try a search. finally dont put anything about saving peoples lives---its your life---build what ya want around it--even if its 1/4 electrical conduit, if it makes ya feel safe and works, kudos to you!!

now lets see what people have!!! :D

·
Registered
7,875 Posts
budgetsami said:
---even pvc has got to be better than nothin.
now lets see what people have!!! :D

is your life worth useing a PVC cage? are you fucking stupid? thats plastic you retard! anyone who has been in a rollover, or seen the destruction after, even with HREW tube, wouldnt even ask this, you will either be severly disfigured, or killed if you roll in a pvc caged vehicle. if you do this, do everyone a favor and roll it off atleast a 80 foot cliff, just to test it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WA-HCRC said:
is your life worth useing a PVC cage? are you fucking stupid? thats plastic you retard! anyone who has been in a rollover, or seen the destruction after, even with HREW tube, wouldnt even ask this, you will either be severly disfigured, or killed if you roll in a pvc caged vehicle. if you do this, do everyone a favor and roll it off atleast a 80 foot cliff, just to test it.

dissapointing--3rd freakin post and your callin me fucking stupid. Have you ever seen a PVC cage---Ive seen a bar--and yea, I agree it isnt safe at all!! however people out there do have em---so lets see what happens when they tip.

If you had any common knowledge or sence, you woulda read about posting comments like yours. Chances are my freakin light sami would be saved by some good fresh pvc in a tip, however i dont wanna try---it would simply be a waste of my time and money---now will the cage kill me---no---unless in my 2mph tip---a shard somehow breaks loose and hit me in the femorial artery.

now I again ask--please keep negative comments to yourself and lets see some pics of it all--PVC to Cromoly, to shiny and blingin to crushed and mangled.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorry for double post

i forgot to mention in response to
WA-HCRC said:
is your life worth useing a PVC cage? are you fucking stupid? thats plastic you retard! anyone who has been in a rollover, or seen the destruction after.
i was in a tip over last weekend-in my sami--and wouldnt ya know it caused a fist sized dent near the targa bar---and thats with a stock bar---hmm massive destruction especially after havin no cage--

you gotta keep in mind some of us have no intention of taking our sami's to places where we will endo 3 times over, some just want to anticipate the tip over and build accordingly. If ya say you go over hard eventually--i dont think so---i been wheeling hard enough to keep me satisfied (dusy-ershim)--and never tipped or rolled all these years---the tip last weekend was just to see how far my sami would go before it did tip---and I found it

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
rueben, nice cage--heck nice rig at that. looks like a good roll (for all who click the link--most damage is on page 2) sorta puts the black pipe is for the toilet to shame, especially under that lumbering beast :D

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
all of the front skins are off now and I am working on the cage out around the front.When the rear link bent, we rolled the scout back over and it landed on a boulder.

·
Registered
7,875 Posts
budgetsami said:
i forgot to mention in response to

i was in a tip over last weekend-in my sami--and wouldnt ya know it caused a fist sized dent near the targa bar---and thats with a stock bar---hmm massive destruction especially after havin no cage--

you gotta keep in mind some of us have no intention of taking our sami's to places where we will endo 3 times over, some just want to anticipate the tip over and build accordingly. If ya say you go over hard eventually--i dont think so---i been wheeling hard enough to keep me satisfied (dusy-ershim)--and never tipped or rolled all these years---the tip last weekend was just to see how far my sami would go before it did tip---and I found it

i was in a multiple rollover (three rolls) in a vw based dune buggy at about 45, in a sch. 80 cage, four different places, the pipe failed in the HAZ near the weld,the whole cage was 6010'ed and none of the failures were directly on the weld, only in the HAZ, my friends arm got cut open pretty bad, and i was stuck in the twisted metal for a few minutes until i cut the trapped seatbelt with my gerber, and climbed out. want a suggestion? atleast go HREW, what would happen if something DID happen when you were driving a little faster. lets say you were going 55 on the highway, in your narrow and tall suzuki, and you had a catastrophic tire failure, causing your top heavy sammy to eat shit and roll once or twice, would you rather be impailed by a peice of schedule 80? i have a stock truck with 31's, and i thought i was a light wheeler, but recently i rolled it onto its side, it was a slow speed rollover, but enough to cause some serious body damage,it does weigh about 3x a suzuki, but im going to be puttin a TIG'ed DOM cage in my truck soon, before i even lift it, because your better safe, than dead.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
budgetsami said:
rueben, nice cage--heck nice rig at that. looks like a good roll (for all who click the link--most damage is on page 2) sorta puts the , especially under that lumbering beast :D
Sorry but that wasn'tb a roll, it was a flop. The cage saw little to no stress so saying that it puts the "black pipe is for the toilet to shame" is far from the truth :shaking:

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
Do your self a favor and located someone with a bender and do it right.
I started fooling with a black pipe brush guard. It got bent a lot, tore at the welds, and still functions as a brush guard. I decided that I was not going through all the effort to build a cage with black pipe and myself and 3 others bought a bender with 3 dies. It costs us about $250 each. We took turns building cages and now it resides at Mossman's house and is being used there for misc projects and cages for others.

Think of it like it was your child riding in it. Would you want your kid wheeling a black pipe cage? How about with rope as seat belts?

I know you are saying something is better than nothing, but when it comes to safety - do it right.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Oh brother, this thread is never going to work out. Sorry to say budgetsammi, but nothing will become of this thread except another lame ass pipe vs tube argument. This is pirate...people like to have pissing matches. And since i'm part of pirate and get into some of the pissing matches, if you watn some real solid numbers on pipe vs tube, and structural design and what is really requrired of a pipe cage to take a roll over at 55mph (saying they cant is bullshit) this link has strength numbers of chromo, DOM, HREW, and pipe. It also has design specifications from various raceways on what is requiered to race.
http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content/topic,19909.0.html
hmmmm, my piss appears to be yellow..better go get some utah beer to re-hydrate myself.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To all in response. I did not intend this to become the huge debate of what type of material is better. I simply wanted to see what people have out there---as for an 80 mph flop---its unlikely for me as I tow my ride to the trail and seldomly leave 4-low. I'm not what you call a hardcore wheeler and have no intention to compete. I juts like the saturday trail ride and i'm sure many of us do.

When it comes to a full roll, I doubt ill ever push that hard, have I flopped--yup--and that was plenty for me. I rarely push my ride where I even lift a tire, I just simply don't care for that poopy pants feel, especially when theres a way to do it without a higher risk, just to show off.

As for the pvc and stuff---yea I know not to use it--but some people don't--thats why its out there---I just wanna see what happens when it does flop/roll. So before ya say dont use this metal/tube/pipe---find a pic, showing why and post it. pictures speak 1000 words.

I have yet to see the infamous shattered cage or anything of the sort and have researched about it. I even found a crap built wanna be circle track race car that had a "black pipe" cage--which they allow on the track. If ya dont believe me--I will find it for you, just so you may critisize.

Oh and finally in response to would i put my kids in there---hmm, first i need to have em, but if i did, would i trust the stock b pillar roll hoop alone--probably not--are there people who do---yup. Thats when ya gotta ask---is something more than that hoop better??---even if its not what you agree to be the right material

·
Registered
480 Posts
well, at least the link I posted did have a rolled vehicle with a pipe cage ;) I'm in your boat, I dont like the poopy pants feeling and stick to stuff I dont lift tires on...most of the time. If its soemthing that I could do multiple roll overs on, then I just dont do it...if its something that I could possibly flop on, I check to see how much money I have to fix it when it flops and then decide *lol* for what I do, i'm sure the stock bar is sufficient.

·
Registered
936 Posts
budgetsami said:
When it comes to a full roll, I doubt ill ever push that hard, have I flopped--yup--and that was plenty for me. I rarely push my ride where I even lift a tire, I just simply don't care for that poopy pants feel, especially when theres a way to do it without a higher risk, just to show off.

As for the pvc and stuff---yea I know not to use it--but some people don't--thats why its out there---I just wanna see what happens when it does flop/roll. So before ya say dont use this metal/tube/pipe---find a pic, showing why and post it. pictures speak 1000 words.

I have yet to see the infamous shattered cage or anything of the sort and have researched about it. I even found a crap built wanna be circle track race car that had a "black pipe" cage--which they allow on the track. If ya dont believe me--I will find it for you, just so you may critisize.

Oh and finally in response to would i put my kids in there---hmm, first i need to have em, but if i did, would i trust the stock b pillar roll hoop alone--probably not--are there people who do---yup. Thats when ya gotta ask---is something more than that hoop better??---even if its not what you agree to be the right material
I never intended to flip either ..but I managed to pull off a backflip in Moab 3 weeks ago . Cages arent a place to cut corners . Mine held fine though the tub didnt fair as well . That is my fault as I didnt finish the rear tie ins before I left to go wheeling.

PVC cage ? I cant believe that is even mentioned ? Black pipe can make a decent cage for our rigs , I have seen it done but I aint using it . My life is worth the extra 1.00 a foot for the hrew .

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I have pix if you want to see them of after a roll, endos and barrel rolls. I've had a few of flops, but those never count. Tubing cages rule. What is your LIFE worth. :D

·
Registered
480 Posts
told ya this thread would never work....people are already bitching and moaning about pipe and PVC and your life blah blah blah bitch moan blah blah blah :shaking:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
shmoesmith how the hell are you the only one that gets the idea of this post :D you sir are a wise man who reads for what the thread asks, and I thank you for that!!!

This is not a debate about which cage is best---if ya want a debate--search cage--there will be 100 freakin results with who believes what cage material is best.

Here I just want people to prove it with pics. I hear tons of stories---heres the place to post the pics of those stories. I for one love seeing good carnage. For you guys that are NO BLACK PIPE activists, heres the time to place a photo and convince those non believers, not argue about what youve heard or seen.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts