Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, IT'S A FREAKIN PAIN IN THE ASS TO GET GRADE 8 BOLTS AROUND HERE. OR ANYTHING METRIC OR ANYTHING YOU NEED REALLY. ITS ALSO A RIP OFF. SO. NO BULLSHIT, NO "BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY" REDICULOUS OVERKILL THAT GOES ON ALOT ON THE PBB [YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN, THE GUYS THAT SAY YOU NEED ALL RACING COMPONENTS WITH GRADE 25 HARDWARE AND CHROMOLY LINKS OR ELSE YOUR DANGEROUS AND A HAZARD TO THEM ON THE ROAD :rolleyes:] WHAT NEEDS TO BE WHAT? CURRENTLY I HAVE GRADE 5 FINE THREAD [CAUSE HOME DEPOT DOESNT HAVE GRADE 5 COURSE THREAD] BOLTS IN MY MOTOR MOUNTS, AND SOME SPARE BOLTS CONNECTING THEM TO THE CLAMSHELLS FOR NOW SINCE ITS MOCKED UP. IS THIS COOL? WILL I NEED GRADE 5, OR EVEN GRADE 8 BOLTS FOR THE REAL SETUP? LETS PUT IT THIS WAY, WHAT GRADE DO THESE BOLTS NEED TO BE FOR A NON COMPETITION RIG:

1:BOLTS HOLDING RDB BRACKETS TO AXLES HOUSING
2:MOTOR MOUNT BOLTS
3:STUDS FOR XCASE CROSSMEMEBER

I'M SURE I WILL HAVE MORE TO ADD AS I REMEMBER THINGS I'M FORGETING NOW...

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
I feel sorry for you, almoxt every hardware store around here has grade 8 fine and coarse. Orchard supply hardware has them with gold zinc plating for that racy look. I think all oem are grade 8 for most connections. Does that help any??:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I think grade 12 is the norm for this app. :rolleyes:

-Scott

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FORGOT, ARE THERE ANY ONLINE HARDWARE PLACES I CAN GET GRADE 8 HARWARE AND BETTER THAN GRADE 2 METIRC HARDWARE FOR REASONABLE PRICES?

TO MAKE IT A GOOD CONVERSATION, LETS THROW HIEMS OUT THERE TOO, AND BRING UP THE QUESTIONS OF SINGLE AND DOUBLE SHEER, WHEN SINGLE SHEER IS COOL, TEFLON VS NO TEFLON, STANDARD VS HEAVY DUTY OR STAINLESS....

·
Registered
916 Posts
I know this sounds stupid but do you have an advanced auto in your town or an autozone in your town they have them but not on the shelf they keep them behind the counter for the reason shoe stores put electronic tags on every shoe the 10 finger discount

just a thought

I would use grade 8 and nothing less just for the fact that when taking them off or apart and some times on the trail you have some dirt and grime to tend with grade 8 or better take much more abuse than a lesser grade bolt

just my 2 pennys

·
Registered
678 Posts
Dude,

There are a ton of places on line that sell all this shit. If you're buying one or two at a time, then it sucks, but if you're buying something like 20-30 different pieces then it's cool.

I got a butt load (which is pretty big) last year from boltdepot.

A Sears hardware near a buddy of mine had metric stainless on clearance last month and i bought like almost everything they had. Of course the searssuck hardware by me don't even have a popsicle machine.:eek: :( :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WE DO HAVE AN AUTOZONE, KINDA DOUBTFULL THEY'LL HAVE THEM, BUT I WILL CALL THEM TOMARROW. THANKS, DIDNT KNOW THAT

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RSC IS ABOUT AS CLOSE TO INDUSTRIAL SUPPLY AS WE HAVE HERE. NO AGRICULTURAL SUPPLY, JUST LIVESTOCK STUFF. I WOULD DRIVE AND HOUR EACH WAY TO ALBUQUERQUE, BUT I CANT AFFORD TO DO THAT IN TIME OR MONEY :( NOT THAT I WOULD WANT TO, BUT YOU GE THE POINT.

C'MON GUYS, LETS HERE SOME OPINIONS ON WHAT GRADES YOU NEED WHERE. HORROR STORIES OF A BUDDIES GIRLSFREINDS BROTHER WHO DIDNT USE GRADE 20, OR SOME OF THE COLLEGE GUYS BUST OUT WITH SHEER AND TENSILE WORKING LOADS AND MAXIMUM LOADS...

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
my local true value hardware has piles of metric and SAE bolts....one even had the long bolts with the correct thread to attach a t-speed Cruiser t-case to the tranny!!

IMO, you can used grade 5 everywhere and be fine...I used grade 8 for tension when I can but the vast majority of my stuff is 5 with no problems.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
woody said:
my local true value hardware has piles of metric and SAE bolts....one even had the long bolts with the correct thread to attach a t-speed Cruiser t-case to the tranny!!

IMO, you can used grade 5 everywhere and be fine...I used grade 8 for tension when I can but the vast majority of my stuff is 5 with no problems.
ACE Hardware(even the tiny ones) has them as well. I just got metric grade 8 zinc plated yesterday. ACE has a MUCH better nut/bolt selection than the big box stores like Home Repo.

John H

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
FIXXXXAH said:
WE DO HAVE AN AUTOZONE, KINDA DOUBTFULL THEY'LL HAVE THEM, BUT I WILL CALL THEM TOMARROW. THANKS, DIDNT KNOW THAT
Let me know what you need , I stock a whole assortment of grade 8 bolts. If you want to cover the cost of shipping I can send you some to help you out. :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Grade 5 90% of the time is more than sufficient and in some instances is a better choice due to being the bolt being softer they will bend before snapping. The only place I felt the need to used grade 8 on my cruiser was on places like the winch, and tow bar attachment and so on.

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
pontiota said:
Grade 5 90% of the time is more than sufficient and in some instances is a better choice due to being the bolt being softer they will bend before snapping.
Please don't say that the grade 5 will end up bending at the same force that a grade 8 will shear...

But you are right Grade 5 is sufficient 90% of the time.

·
Registered
216 Posts
No thats not what I was saying.
Geezzz I hate having to explain in detail everything that I type out.
What I'm saying is grade 8 bolts are not super bolts you give up "bendability" (I forgot the correct term and I've been out of school to long remember)
Never mind I need some sleep

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
HE'S SAYING GRADE 8 BOLTS ARE LESS DECTILE AND MORE BRITTLE THAN GRADE 5 BOLTS.

WOODY, DO YOU USE GRADE 5 FOR YOUR DRIVESHAFT FLANGES?

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
pontiota said:
No thats not what I was saying.
Geezzz I hate having to explain in detail everything that I type out.
What I'm saying is grade 8 bolts are not super bolts you give up "bendability" (I forgot the correct term and I've been out of school to long remember)
Never mind I need some sleep
I didn't think so, but in the end what does it matter.
The grade 8 bolts are significantly stronger. If you notice that the Grade 5 bolts are bending. Then you should have used grade 8 anyway..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts