Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moderators, please bear with me for just 24 hours.
Some of the closed-minded children here think they're getting a good laugh at my differing views.
I see stuff getting taken out of context, but more I see a whole lot of torque-obsessed speed demons with more money than Trump.
Cummins: arguably great, but 2 fatal flaws. And before I list them I'm going to explain the reason in a way y'all must relate to: When any of us buys a new toy, we want it virgin and un-molested. We all want to decide what changes to make, without first having to spend 2 large fortunes returning the thing to original specs. As such, the Cummins' first fatal flaw is that un-modified examples flat do not exist, save on the new-pickup-dealers' showroom floors.
Secondly, the entire point of the diesel was never to out-perform a 454 on less fuel. It was to be a profitable work engine no matter how slowly it had to go to get the work done. The beef is there for perfect reliability and extreme endurance, not the potential for tripling the output. A Cummins is intended to be a tool for turning a profit. A Duramax makes a much better play-toy. And if any of you earn a living with tools, you'll understand that a tool must be top quality and affordable, then must be well-maintained. You don't pay twice as much for a tool as it is really worth, if it is adequate to the intended job for many years to come. And that's the second fatal flaw: For my intended purpose, I'm not going to pay $1000+ for a modified Cummins when for $200 I can have a virgin Detroit. If the Detroit is still in service after this many years, then it has been maintained, and a bit more maintenance will result in more service.
Since a modified diesel engine just got well-reasoned-out of the equation, that leaves factory power ratings. And we all agree that the more power you have, the more work you can do. But again, my work isn't having fun, my work is turning a profit. So keeping it out of boost is the goal 99% of the time. At that point, the engine with less power gets better mileage. Less fuel costs = more profit. So, which un-modified engine makes less power without boost, but more power with stock boost? The Detroit 6.2 wearing the salvage-yard $45 turbo from an un-modified 6.5. Still no aftermarket parts. No grinding a fuel plate. No killer dowel pin. Retrofitting the turbo isn't modifying. It's more like repairing the crack-prone block and heads of the 6.5, by using non-cracked 6.2 parts. Only the repair is effectively free, just $45.
And if I happen to kill my 6.2 a thousand miles from home, I can find another within an hour, have it swapped the next day. Total cost? $300 plus a day's labor. Still cheaper than having started with a 6BT, then replacing the fuel plate and killer dowel and more.
I'm happy for y'all that you're a bunch of Homer Simpsons, living in blissful ignorance, getting rich off no work, spending $1050,000 per year on your 2013 Ram 3500. Congrats.
I have the right to haul at the minimum speed rather than 15 MPH over the maximum like everyone of y'all. I used to always push, but now life is less stressful, except seeing y'all spouting off your wrong ideas. Man up and STFU!
-Peace out.

·
Not a Wenzelite
36,696 Posts
2 suggestions:

1) Stop huffing ether.

2) Take this up in PM's with me2.

Moderators, please bear with me for just 24 hours.
Some of the closed-minded children here think they're getting a good laugh at my differing views.
I see stuff getting taken out of context, but more I see a whole lot of torque-obsessed speed demons with more money than Trump.
Yeah, that maybe fits three or four people who have posted recently in this forum. The other couple dozen do want good torque, realize speed in a towrig is unsafe, and have rigs that worth under $15k, including engine.

Is Julie Andrews your illegitimate mother?

Edit: I was going to report this post, Mods, but please don't delete it, or our new troll will think there is an anti-oldenginebuilder conspiracy.

oldenginebuilder: If you're not actually that far out there, and maybe just posted after having a bad day: Take a deep breath. Separate your thoughts into different posts and use the return key a little more frequently. Your good ideas are otherwise going to be dismissed in the middle of your rant.

Lots of us recent posters are running the 7.3L IDI. Not a torque or power monster, but generally reliable and fairly fuel-efficient. What reliable low-budget tech do you have on them?

·
Registered
28,921 Posts
2 suggestions:

1) Stop huffing ether.

2) Take this up in PM's with me2.

Yeah, that maybe fits three or four people who have posted recently in this forum. The other couple dozen do want good torque, realize speed in a towrig is unsafe, and have rigs that worth under $15k, including engine.

Is Julie Andrews your illegitimate mother?
I :laughing: at this whole post.

good show.

this coming from the people that have wildly underpowered piece of shit Uhauls for tow pigs.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Yes, because the 4 Duramax's we run on our ranch are incapable of doing work. :shaking:

They're all tough pullers, that last a long time. It's all personal preference.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Probably neither... Just an old guy who is good with his limited financial resources, strong with his hard thought opinions and doesn't understand that you can't take things personally on the Internet.
I don't think so. Too many dumb questions, claims of genius level IQ and pictures of shitty trucks.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
(Best DRM impression) You are a liar! ( DRM Impression over)

$200 Detroit ?? Where.... Sure as hell not around here?

Why all the cummins envy?

you forgot to add black text and here is your homer

:homer:

·
Registered
189 Posts
As such, the Cummins' first fatal flaw is that un-modified examples flat do not exist, save on the new-pickup-dealers' showroom floors.

Wrong- I have an 04.5 that is showroom stock and reliable as hell because of it!

·
Registered
195 Posts
$200 Detroit ?? Where.... Sure as hell not around here?
He is referring to the 6.2 as a Detroit. Which is accurate given that Detroit Diesel designed it. My uncle does this as well, and it always makes me laugh.

Mind you I laugh at the Dodge guys too, "What do you drive?" "A Cummins".

Around here you can definitely get a running 6.2 for a couple hundred dollars. Good luck getting a running 6.5 though...lol

1 - 20 of 98 Posts