Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok , gonna finish my runner . I was in the process of putting in a 7m-ge but now ..... I traded my old truck for an astro with a new 4.3 and blown 700r4 . Now i dont know which motor to run . Ease of installation is a major consideration . The 7m-ge is already sitting in the engine bay just need to weld up the mounts . Currently hooked to the W56 . I could run the 7m-ge (fully rebuilt) with the W56 . Or run the 4.3 (fully rebuilt) with the 700r4 (after i rebuild it ) or 4.3 with the W56 . Lets hear your arguments . 200HP I6 or 165 V6

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
naw , i lost all my links somewhere . I have seen some nice I6 swaps , but non have been as clean as 4.3 swaps . No room for and engine driven fan on the 7m-ge unless you hack the core support , that is the main negative that is making me look elsewhere . I dont trust elec. fans and i dont want to have to keep spare motors and blades

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
either way is a great improvement.. but it looks like the chevy swap in the long run Being that it is such a common swap now adays would be the route to go .. But If you want to be a little differant go I6:D you already have half the job done...:flipoff2:

·
Registered
398 Posts
Well, I've been running a 3.8L evenfire V6 for about 7 years now. It mates to a THM350 (buick bellhousing) auto trans and toyota xfer case. Its got some minor mods (030 over bore, KB elcheapo pistons, cam, open plenum intake, big old Q-jet). I'm pretty satisfied with this setup. I like simplicity.

The 700R4 is a great trans, it's got a very low first gear and a very high overdrive. Also, they are all lockup converters which you can easily wire to a simple toggle switch and make it work like a clutch. Also, the 700R4 lets you select every gear from 1 to 4 individually without valve body mods. But using a 700R4 would involve shortening the rear driveshaft and lengthening the front one. Thats why I stuck with the T350 dinosaur. In comparison. the TH350 has a poor first gear ratio, no overdrive and no lockup. Also, the T350 in stock form does not let me select first gear. But its simple, reliable even in stock form, and doesn't require any crossmember or driveshaft mods. The toy transfer case remains in the same position. In addition, the TH350 is so easy to repair and so easy to find. I can safely say that nearly all tranny shops will have T350 parts, rebuild kits, cores and rebuilt units on their shelf. And, if it ever comes to this, I'm sure I'd be able to tear down a T350 on the trail, though I really hope I never have to.

About the motor, I do have a TBI 4.3L motor I'd like to try but not in this one.

·
Registered
726 Posts
7MGTE

is awsome

7MGE is cool too.

The 4.3 suffers alot of poor lube problems on top end,just read consumer reports,up to like late 1990's totall probs i have heard,Not major problems now!just not as depediable as a toyota
+

If ,And when your all done. and arnt happy STILL,I will buy 7MGE from you if it dont over heat,and is a good DD set up.

So go Toyota toyota,

How hard is the w56 Mods if any to my 1985 4Runner bell housing.?

Just DO It!!!!:D Then Turbo It Too!!!:D

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you can put car motors in trucks but cant put truck motors in cars unless they had the same engine

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

you must use the 7m-ge bellhousing ....even if you use the 7m-gte

turbos use R series trannies and NA use W's And G's

·
Registered
695 Posts
Go 4.3. I have seen plenty of 4.3's with over 200K on them and they still run great. I'm doing a '98 Vortec 4.3 / built 700R4 swap right now.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
4RUNNERJADE said:
The 4.3 suffers alot of poor lube problems on top end,just read consumer reports,up to like late 1990's totall probs i have heard,Not major problems now!just not as depediable as a toyota
i don't think anyone around here has had upper lube problems.. for the simple fact that we know how to the change the oil.. you find this in 70,000 mile motors that haven't seen 3 oil changes.. however i have heard these motors have lower lubing problems.
when your truck is upside down :D :flipoff2: :D

·
Cranky Moderator
7,366 Posts
4RUNNERJADE said:
7MGTE

is awsome

7MGE is cool too.

+

If ,And when your all done. and arnt happy STILL,I will buy 7MGE from you if it dont over heat,and is a good DD set up.

So go Toyota toyota,

Just DO It!!!!:D Then Turbo It Too!!!:D
Jade, Jade, Jade, your wrong. A 4.3 is rock solid. Got one with 180k plus on it, still runs the same as it always has, and does not burn a drop of oil. Chevys and Toyotas, take reasonable care of 'em, and they run for ever

·
Registered
695 Posts
What do you mean 4.3 have no power?!?!?!?! My bone stock '98 4.3 with a minor computer tweaking is at 225hp. That is without anything else!!!!! I don't know what the I6 puts out but I'm sure somebody will let me know!!!!

Another advantage of the 4.3, parts are available EVERYWHERE!!! Not restricted to the dealer.

I also disagree with the statement that 4.3's had upper lube problems. It has the exact same oiling system as the 305, 327,350's that have been around forever!:flipoff2:

Now if you want an all Toyota rig, do the I6 swap.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Chad said:
What do you mean 4.3 have no power?!?!?!?! My bone stock '98 4.3 with a minor computer tweaking is at 225hp. That is without anything else!!!!! I don't know what the I6 puts out but I'm sure somebody will let me know!!!!

Another advantage of the 4.3, parts are available EVERYWHERE!!! Not restricted to the dealer.

I also disagree with the statement that 4.3's had upper lube problems. It has the exact same oiling system as the 305, 327,350's that have been around forever!:flipoff2:

Now if you want an all Toyota rig, do the I6 swap.

Chad, is that 225 rwhp?

Daveyclimer. The power band of the 7M is uncomparable to the 4.3 V6. The 4.3 V6 can make good power, but most of them are gutless to begin with, and can barly rev to 5,000 RPM. Built, they can do much better. I have seen some pretty nice 4.3's. But, it doesn't matter how much you build a 4.3, you will never ever get the power band of the I6.

If both the I6, and the 4.3 ran 200hp, the average power of the I6 would be much greater over the entire rpm range. Making the I6 a more powerful motor overal.

Plus the added fact that you stick with toyota. Oh, and I think there is nothing wrong with cutting out the radiator support. You can build it so it still looks stock. Guy with the vette motor did a really nice job of this. Looks almost stock. Plus cutting out the rad support makes it much nicer for engine removal. I can pull my motor and tranny out and have it on the ground in 45 minutes.

I just had my truck dyno'd a couple weeks ago. With 35" tires and 4.88 gears, I ran a 260hp and 260 ft/lbs of torque at the rear wheels.

Daily driver? ABSOLUTLY. Actually it is my only driver. In fact, In November I drove it out to North Carolina from utah pulling a 87 supra. I just got back from North carolina, up to New York, and back to utah, pullilng an 89 supra this time. And to add all the weight of my belongings to the whole deal. With this I had no problem pulling 70 mph most of the way.

Will post pics of dyno run later today

·
Registered
1,100 Posts

This is basicly a stock 7MGTE with 3" exhaust and powerstroke intercooler @ 10psi, only 3 psi above stock. I do have an upgraded stock turbo, but my fuel system couldn't keep up, so it didn't really help any.....yet, then I will run 20 psi. :D

You can't really see the colors, but the top line is the torque. Note that there is as almost as much torque at 3300RPM as there is at 5200 RPM. V6's and v8's generally don't do that.

You can see the nasty dip im power between 3800 and 4600. My fuel system really sucks, and it got a little rich and lost some power. With a better fuel pump and larger lines, I should be able to regulate fuel delivery a little better. Than at 5500, you can see the fuel cut. Again, fuel system can't keep up.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
They guy that did the run didn't start until 3,000 rpm. Then there was the turbo lag and at 3,000 rpm, it takes awhile to spool. But you can see from the graph, it has 200 ft/lbs of torque at 3200 rpm before the turbo spools.

·
Registered
8,369 Posts
i see now;) .

"It is better to make torque at high rpm than at low rpm, because you can take advantage of gearing."

1 - 20 of 38 Posts