Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My blower motor packed it in.
I could take it apart and see if I can fix it but it didn't put out that much heat to begin with for all the noise it made.
I have an aux heater in the back but the core is leaking so I can't use it. (Gotta fix that too)
I was thinking about getting an electric fan and a new heater core and trying that but I don't know if it will pump out enough heat for this weather.
I can see the parts guy glazing over when I tell him I need a heater motor for a 73 Landcruiser. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Flex-a-lite has a 12000 BTU heater with defrost ports.

Vintage air offers a compact 16,500 BTU heater with defrost ports.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Check JC Whitney, there are some option there. Anything is better than land cruiser heaters. :D

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
KMAN said:
Anything is better than land cruiser heaters. :D
ON THAT NOTE, DOES ANYONE HAVE A STOCK REAR HEATER THAT THEY TOOK OUT OR DONT WANT? I'D BE GLAD TO TAKE IT OFF YOUR HANDS

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
FIXXXXAH said:

ON THAT NOTE, DOES ANYONE HAVE A STOCK REAR HEATER THAT THEY TOOK OUT OR DONT WANT? I'D BE GLAD TO TAKE IT OFF YOUR HANDS
I do, but you called me an ass so..... how does $250 sound?

:D ;)

J/K...
I do have a couple, the one has a trashed core and the other is going in my truck... I will see if I have a godd core to make a second complete unit...;)

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
cruiseroutfit said:

I do, but you called me an ass so..... how does $250 sound?

DOH! NO NO, I WAS CALLING BFUUUUTAH AN ASS, NOT YOU MAN, NOT YOU ;) :D

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
KMAN said:
Check JC Whitney, there are some option there. Anything is better than land cruiser heaters. :D
Yeah, the aux heater I have in the back looks like one of those JC Whitney ones but this is Canada and ordering stuff from the US takes forever and costs a fortune. :usa:

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
FIXXXXAH said:

DOH! NO NO, I WAS CALLING BFUUUUTAH AN ASS, NOT YOU MAN, NOT YOU ;) :D
Oh...its ok then... as long as we got that all cleared up...:D

So you comin' up to Utah... from the pics it looks like you should stay home and finish your cruiser... how long til' its done?

Caution: Hijack in progress...;)

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
DUDE, DONT SAY THAT, I ALREADY HAVE LITTLE DEMONS TELLING ME I SHOULD WORK ON THE CRUISER. I'M WAITING ON ONE BUSHING TO GET HERE [THAT I ORDERED 3 WEEKS AGO] AND I CAN PULL THE DUMMY SETUP, WELD EEEEVERYTHING OUT AND PUT THE REAL DRIVETRAIN IN. THEN THERE'S STILL KNUCKLES TO BE TURNED AND BRAKE TO BE RUN, BUT MAN I'M SOOO CLOSE.

ITS ONLY A WEEK, ITS ONLY A WEEK, ITS NO BIG DEAL, ITS NO BIG DEAL.... ;)

·
Registered
286 Posts
FIXXXXAH said:

Proffitt's got a dozen of em'... I think $50/ea. give him a jingle

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Well I don;t have a Cruiser who's heater will not roast you out of the cab. My 67fj45 stock heater works VERY well, I can hardly stand to even have it on, windows never fog up either.

The 82 fj40 I just got also has a heater that kicks butt. Personaly I would pull your heater and clean all the crap out of it, flush the heater core out(or get a new one, under $100) find a used blower(they can;t be spendy) mine was dead on the45 when I got it, pulled one of the 67 parts 40 and it works great. Yes it doesn't get down below 32deg often in WA but still I think even if it did I wouldn't be warm and toasty with a good working stock heater.

John H

·
Registered
195 Posts
"Glazing over" funny guy! :D

Update to a newer style fan motor for the front
and replace the rear core
clean the 10#'s of crud off the front heater core and you'll have loads of heat
oh ya, flush your core too

I put the 1980 motor in my own Cruiser and everyone who works for me has updated as well, except for Jerry's FJ55, that thing will melt your face off without using the rear heater

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
cruiseroutfit said:

Bring your housintg up to Utah with you...;)
GASP! THERES A THOUGHT... THAT WOULD REQUIRE REPOINTING THE PERCHES AND TEARING IT DOWN TO NOTHING IN THE NEXT 6 DAYS... PLUS FITTING IT IN MY WITH ALL THE SKI GEAR FOR THE RIDE. IT WOULD GET THE FRONT AXLE SQUARED AWAY THAT MUCH SOONER THOUGH, I TAKE IT YOU HAVE A SHOP? HOW FAR FROM SLC ARE YOU?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've flushed a couple radiators and heater cores with muriatic acid a la Mark Whatley's article in TT a couple years ago. It made a HUGE difference. Just remember that the muriatic acid is really volatile stuff- the fumes will burn your eyes and nose, not to mention the acid burning your skin. It'll also eat aluminum. Best thing is to wear full clothing, respirator, and safety goggles.

I think most problems with the Cruiser heaters stem from clogged cores and clogged intakes. After I did my heater a couple years ago, it would've melted your foot off!

Tyler

·
Registered
423 Posts
I had to ditch my stock fan last year due to clearance issues. So I then took the stock heater box, sealed the bottom of it so that it only blows to defrost and removed the top section that the stock duct hooked to. I built a housing to go on top that holds a 6" Spaal electric fan. I also have the rear heater mounted to the tranny hump. Between the two of them I can't stand to run them unless the windows are at least partially rolled down. And that's in below freezing weather.

The other benefit to that fan set up is that it allowed me to raise the heater box 2" to clear the 420 shifter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts