Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay guys.... Just went and got me a new XJ (well new to me...2000 :flipoff2: ) Well MKBruin and I were lordin around under it and came to find something that made us go WTF! So.... Lets see if you guys can NAME THAT AXLE!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/drunk_tank

(its under the album El Jefe)

So is it a 35c or a Chrysler 8.25" ? :confused:

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
If I had to choose I would say 8.25 but I have never seen one so im not sure. I do know its not a 35C

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
first of all, you guys are slackin...

SEARCH!!:flipoff2:

and if you didn't find it in the search, that's because you should have searched at JU

second, yeah, it's a Chryco 8 1/4, should be 29 spline if it's a 2000

third, that is not a d35 diff cover, the dana covers have threaded fill plugs and a much larger dip in them

·
Registered
16 Posts
I can't believe I'm replying to this. That is utter BS about Dana's being all threaded plugs. Most the D35s have that rubber ass gasket stuffed into them from the dealer.:flipoff2: :flipoff2:

And I agree..that is a 8.25...looks like the wifes XJ and I can read a tag.:eek:

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thats whats been driving me crazy...why in the hell would they put a D35c cover on a 8.25"? seems stupid to me....now I gotta go grind lip that over the edge off.....dont want it getting peeled back.

·
Registered
20 Posts
BrettM said:

and if you didn't find it in the search, that's because you should have searched at JU

second, yeah, it's a Chryco 8 1/4, should be 29 spline if it's a 2000

third, that is not a d35 diff cover, the dana covers have threaded fill plugs and a much larger dip in them
Wrong!!!:flipoff2:

For the years that DC did this (end of '98 to '00 and possibly earlier) the corresponding D35 cover has a stupid rubber plug. Fawk your search, I have a D35 in my garage laying on the ground with the exact same cover.:p

Added:

For anyone that still has problems take a look at this:

Cherokee Axle Identification :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
BrettM said:

not all DANA's have threaded fill plugs.. I have a D60 from a 77 Dodge that has the rubber fill plug.. I don't remember for sure but I think the rear D70 that was in My 93 with the Cummins had a rubber fill plug..

·
Registered
20 Posts
The "c" in Dana 35c stands for custom (not c-clip which is a common misconception). What that means is Dana provides DC with some parts of the axle but it is assembled by DC as opposed to the all the other Dana axles which are made and assembled by Dana and then shipped to the manufacturer. It's common practice by manufacturers to use what ever is lying around. A good example is the early '99 4.0 engines with a distributor instead of the cylinder mounted coils because DC still had some of the old engines left. It doesn't suprise me that DC may have used some Dana 35 covers when installing the 8 1/4 axles.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.