Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mainly for the front... My rig has none at all right now. The inner rear fenders limited the stuff before in the back, hopefully I'll get a bit more with the spacers...

Front is newly SOA, rockbuggy hi-steer, saginaw steering mounted in frotn of the forward crossmember, stock 40 springs - flipped, and moved forward a yet-to-be determined amount. (about 3-4")

My concern is mainly centered around the hi-steer, and the T/R and D/L taking a beating on compression, and possibly breaking things.

It looks possible to mount a rectangular bumpstop on the u-bolt plate, as the ones I'm using are from a late 70's 1/2 ton Chevy, and have a raised section in the middle.

Here's one I saw that looked cool.. protected the drag link, and still allowed for more axle movement...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
IF YOU DO THAT, USE SOMETHING THAT WILL GIVE, WHETHER ITS RUBBER OR POLY, I WOULD WORRY ABOUT KINKING THE SPRING WITH THAT.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Look close enough there is a piece of rubber, you can tell by the bolt sticking out of the square tubing :p

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
Ill get a pic of what I did tonight sometime.

I basicalliy took some left over 1.75 tube, capped it, then got some generic round bumpstops and drilled a hole and mounted them up. I like the way it turned out. another Idea I had was to take some .120 wall 1.75 and also some 1.5" tube and make it with the basic same idea but drill multiple holes in them so the would be adjustable.

Make sense?:confused:

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
YES, YES I SEE NOW, THERE IS. NICE SETUP ;)

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
My IFS 4Runner with an SAS:

I like doing it this way because the poly on the frame never needs changed. Just shorten or extend the 2x2 box on the sprign plate to set the height.

The poly bumpstops are poly Jeep CJ replacements, and were $24 for the pair from:
http://www.suspension.com/Bumpstop.htm

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gunmetalcrus, where did you get that one? Suspension.com has some good ones, but I like yours alot.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Check Out BTB for bump stops. I will not buy much from them because of the cost of the things they sell, but the have some good looking bumpstops on thier site. Actually they look like the red ones in the picture above. As everything they sell it is pricey 57.34 for a pair but they have different lengths. Attached is a picture

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I got those at four wheel parts in reno. They were on the self , I'm not sure what they are for but they mount with two bolts holes at the bottom of the stop. I have ones like the ones listed above in the rear, for my driving style they are a little under gunned for the front for big hits or coming down off wheel stands.
Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
130 Posts
bumpstops????? hmmmmm. thats what i forgot to do.. i knew i forgot something. .dohhhhh.. :confused: thats next weeks mod.. since the ubolts are currently my bumpstop.

·
Old Rock Doc
1,779 Posts
I use OEM bumpstops hanging down from the frame and welded a hoop on the top of the spring plate for the bottom half of the operation.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Medusa said:
I use OEM bumpstops hanging down from the frame and welded a hoop on the top of the spring plate for the bottom half of the operation.[/IMG]
Me too!... I did the same thing...

With my spring over, 35's it will stop the axle about 1/4" before the tire hits the inner lip of the front fenders..perfect... :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts