Pirate 4x4 banner

401 - 420 of 445 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts

5.3, rear engine, single seat, flipped, built, and geared chevy tons turned by a divorced ford 205 / 2wd 4l60e.

Ya its a right hand drive too. usually rolls on KRTs for rocks and race duty (new for next year) but got some RCV breaking 44boggers for east coast woods play.

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
Ramcharger... a work in Progress.

This has to be the northeastern rig thread, because there are no Ramchargers! Let's see... last one was made in '93, so that means the last one IN the northeast probably rusted away by around 1999-2000 - about the time it was paid off. D'OH! :homer:

Well, I inherited MY '92 LE-150 RC in late '06, as the previous owner had passed away in May of '05. And it looked like this. :eek:

The outside certainly looked like it had seen 15 Pittsburgh winters. The previous owner was fastidious with servicing it though, and NEVER allowed any eating, drinking, or smoking inside it, so the interior was quite clean. The headliner was still even MOSTLY in place!!!

The engine & drivetrain were solid, so it had possibilities. What I DIDN'T have though, was time. So it went into storage for 6 more years. It was out of the elements, but trucks - like people - don't magically heal themselves, sad to say.

Just as I was about to junk it (actually, I was already shopping it for part-out at RCC), a couple of fortuitous events happened; namely, I met a paint & body man who wanted to help, so we got the lift under it, some custom bumpers mated to it, and paint & bodywork done. Another new friend is the Asst, Mgr. at a local Monro Muffler, so he re-wired, re-plumbed, and reworked EVERY hose, vacuum line, brake line and fuel line on it.

Three things that saved the engine (a 318 Magnum - first year FOR the Magnum); the previous owner had tuned it up, before he passed away; I'd changed the oil, before it went into storage, AND, the anti-freeze looked low, so I added a gallon of pure Prestone to it. We pulled the radiator as a matter of course, figuring it needed to be replaced. It actually didn't have a fleck of scale in it - my mechanic said it looked BEAUTIFUL, in fact. So I set it aside as a spare, because it's better made than the cheap Chinese replacements you get at 'Autoshack' these days...

Nonetheless, we replaced everything ON the engine; starter, coil, distributor, pulleys, water pump, fuel pump (in the gas tank, actually), etc. Re-worked the a/c for R-134 :barf: and added a new condenser (the system was still HOLDING R-12, but there was no way to recharge it), added a 125 amp alternator, and of course, the requisite tune-up.

THEN it went to Gibbs Automotive - the best 4WD shop IN the city of Pittsburgh, where it has been re-geared (3.55 factory, to 4.56 Nitro gears) & armored diff covers added, the transmission cleaned up and anew deep-dish B&M armored pan added (more mods still in store for the A518), added Borgeson steering (gearbox and steering shaft), and had a few other odds 'n' ends addressed. He had it for a year himself; I just got it back around Easter of this year! It is to the point, that it now looks like this.

I'm wanting to wheel it soon, even if it's JUST over hill & over dale, but the driveshaft needs addressing (I'm converting the t-case output to a Ford style flange, and a 1350 double-cardon yoke - the rear pumpkin also needs to be rotated and shimmed, but that's a project for this winter - the double-cardon is stronger and a definite upgrade, but we're buying it some time for this summer, at least).

LOTTA upgrades planned again for future winters (it's my offroad toy - I have a Jeep XK for a DD and tooling about in snow), including a B&M Transpak and probably a new torque converter - hotter cam and new lifters (I have the performance ECU in hand; got that from Summit), double roller timing chain, Hughes intake plenum fix (already have that), a 53.5mm throttlebody, aftermarket headers (go those, too) and biggest of all - new heads. Early Magnum heads are brittle and prone to cracking - I'd like to get a nice set of ported/polished/magnafluxed heads to top it off. I'm not looking to make a quarter-mile rocket out of it, but I'd like to be turning at least 300hp out of it, just to keep it's massive weight MOVING, when the going gets tough.

OTHER future goodies include, rockrails/sliders, stereo, CB/scanner setup, trimming back the front bumper (in his enthusiasm, Jimmy fabbed up a Mad Max-style bumper for it, but it NEEDS trimming, if we're ever gonna clear any rocks with it!!!) and installing my 9,000lb winch.

I'd also love to rip out the carpet, and rhinoline the floor - cover the seats in that faux leather/neoprene sorta stuff that wipes up easily, as opposed to the HIGHLY mud/water absorbent factory cloth seats.

Like ANY good project, there's not a list LONG enough to include EVERYTHING you wanna do to it (Oh - dual batteries - ANOTHER project! And replacing the Rancho shocks with Bilsteins, and... ), but the fact it even rolls at ALL, is an amazing testament to a lotta people who have helped make it happen.

The previous owner's wife is our church secretary, and I promised her when she gave it to me, I'd do his memory right by getting it fixed up, and taking my sons camping & fishing in it, just as he had done. I almost failed at that, but now we're off and running. In fact, I hope to take my sons fishing in it next week!

Gratuitous northeastern pic. :D

401 - 420 of 445 Posts