Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Change is good.
35,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Traction (not Trac) Bars

For anybody that is experiencing axle wrap, a good solution is to install a ladder type Traction Bar. They are sometimes mistakenly referred to as Trac Bar's, but that is a whole 'nuther animal. Here's one from Sam's Offroad

There are several differences in these two designs. The BDP bar uses a very heavy thread to allow for twist at the frame end, and heim joints at the axle end. While the Sam's Offroad bar utilizes Johnny Joints at both ends to allow for twist. Sam's also makes a cheaper unit that uses rubber bushings at the axle end. Both of these designs utilize a shackle at the crossmember to allow for the wheelbase change that occurs during axle travel.

And BudBuilt even makes one that is a complete bolt-on setup.

Here are a few links on the subject posted by a Noob with only a couple months under his belt here on PBB. There is hope after all!:flipoff2:

Newb said:
Here is a thread discussing the slip-and-twist style vs. the shackle type pictured above. slip+twist
Happy hookups!

Doc

·
H M F
4,364 Posts
1.75 x .120 wall female top tube, 2 x 2 x 3/16 support/slider, 1.5 x .25 male tube as long as I could get it. Bushing at the chassis, sleeved tube and solid mounted at the axle.

The plates at the axle need those gussets between eachother if you're gonna wheel hard at all. The first set I made were not gusseted, Sean wrinkled those up a bit trying to launch up the big fall on backdoor.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts

Slip and twist. Works great!
Bringing this thread back to life.

So are there any problems with solid mounting them to the axle, sleeved bolt holes as opposed to heims or bushings, as show here? Seems to me that it would act just like having your traction bar mounted with heims at the axle. I see where bushings would absorb some of the force put on the axle, possibly causing both good and bad effects. (good = less strain on axle & mounts, bad = less effective at controling wrap)

Brandon how much seperation does that traction bar mount have? I like that traction bar. :cool2:

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
here ya go.

Attachments

·
Registered
844 Posts
The bad thing about hard mounting at the axle is that the axle doesn't stay perpendicular to the frame rails, especially with leafs you get flex steer and under that situation the bolts there will be binding at the bolts.

·
H M F
4,364 Posts
Exactly. The axle tends to move sideways some. It ovaled out the sleeves a bit, and I was expecting that. But it was all we had to work with 1 day before a competition. It has held up fine besides that.

I would have liked to use bushings if we had time to order some.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Exactly. The axle tends to move sideways some. It ovaled out the sleeves a bit, and I was expecting that. But it was all we had to work with 1 day before a competition. It has held up fine besides that.

I would have liked to use bushings if we had time to order some.
Cool good to know, thanks.:)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Anyone else have some pics? I'm in the process of doing the same.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
do you guys really have that much problem with axle wrap?

1 - 20 of 131 Posts