Pirate 4x4 banner

81 - 100 of 2415 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
I really like this new forum. My rig is pretty weak, but I would really like to add a camper with some sort of bed, tool storage etc soon. My 'expeditions' only really consist of exploring Colorado for a few weeks out of the year.

Mods only include, 9000lb winch, full navigation, Edge programmer, 2" Bilsteins, and some BFGs.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I'll bite.

'74 88" Land Rover
OM616 Mercedes diesel
Toyota e-lockers and 30-spline axles
Power steering
Etc., etc.

Done the Rockies with it from the Canadian border to Durango Colorado. Been to Newfoundland and Labrador. Did James Bay and the Trans-Taiga out to Caniapiscau this past summer.

Currently building a '67 109
OM617 Mercedes diesel
NP435 tranny
HR Series transfer case
Toyota e-lockers and 30-spline axles
Etc., etc.

jim

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mercedesrover: Your rig kicks some major ass! I love old rovers!

·
whatever
1,500 Posts
As always Jim...AWESOME WORK

·
Poseur SUV
23,695 Posts
Here's mine. It's a '92 Explorer with lockers, a mild lift and some upgrades to the transmission. I've taken it to Alaska (stock), Utah, California, Washington, and British Columbia. Some trips two or three weeks long, sometimes pulling a trailer and it has never been trailered in the 11 years I've owned it. Nothing fancy but it's comfortable, reliable and inexpensive to operate. It's taken me everywhere I've wanted to go and carried all my gear inside safe and dry. I haven't really driven it for a couple of years but I plan to get it back on the road this summer.

·
Premium Member
15,253 Posts
Some very well set up rigs in here:smokin:

Mine is slowly getting going.

07 Chevy 2500 hd classic. 79 hp ford front with Chevy outers, cross over, ford style cage radious arms and coils.14 bolt rear, locked with factory disk brakes. 6.0 engine, 2wd 4l80e trans, divorced ford 205 twin sticked t-case. The advantage of keeping the 2wd trans is the availability o them and price verse the 4wd version. This also allowed me to bypass having to use a factory chain driven computer controlled t-case and the issue I would have had with the V.S.S. if I were to swap to a 205 or stak/atlas or other. My front and rear driveshafts are also the same and full slip with just 1 in difference between the front and rear. I can carry just one spare stub shaft, and one spare drive shaft since the front acts as a back up spare for the rear.

4.56 gears with llr16 michelin xls and a 34 gallon tank. A.R.E. aluminum utility shell insulated with open access on one side and storage on another. Also have a roll out bed rack. Since I run a fire extinguisher business I also carry on board n20 and air tools should I need them.

The truck is bare bones, no power windows, door locks etc..hell it does not even have a seat belt or door chime:grinpimp:

Future plans are to build a false floor at top of the wheel well height and use the roll out bed for storage of tools, supplies, gear and spares. A well built roof rack and more fuel capacity is a must. I want to build a rear bumper and redo the front bumper and have a recessed winch as well. Other plans are to cut out the rockers and integrate 250 wall 2x6 in a factory looking set up to act as a buffer.

Next up is the cage and mounting the corbeau suspension seats and tearing into the 6.0 with heads/cam/headers/high flow cats and trying to mount an xj snorkel on it.

I do feel its tall but I lik the skinny tucked tires and they are stong as well. I may look into a 40 inch tire though.

far from done, but for just a year old I am trying to break her in slow.. :evil:

When I want to explore and go camping or long trips with some moderate wheeling I want to have a rig that is sealed up to do it in and sleep off the ground as well. Other than that it is my extra work truck, 4x4 rig and used to tow the buggy.

holy nosebleed batman...what is that, like 12 inches of lift?

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
You are set! I'm going to ask b/c it's not intuitive...the three cans on the top. Why lay them on their side? Don't they leak? All of the jerry cans I've ever had leak. I would imagine that it's just a clearance thing. Are they fuel?

Matt
Good cans literally will not leak a drop. This look like Wedco cans, which are a great can, metal construction, excellent design. I've got a fleet of the Scepter brand cans, also military spec cans, but plastic. Both as spendy, ~$50 & up per can, but you pay for what you get IMO.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
holy nosebleed batman...what is that, like 12 inches of lift?
not really sure to be honest, I was not sure how tall it was going to end up and I wound up having to do a shackle flip in the rear just to get it close to level. At times it is higher than I want, but other times I love the advantage point. The truck handles really well to a point of amazement.

I can flip a u-turn at 30 plus mph with no worry. Ive jumped it, flew down the wash at speed and put plenty of miles on it. Tall yes.. but it still drives in manner that I am not concerned. I would not be taking a truck like his near crazy ledges or side hills even if it was stock, so no worry there.

I moved the front axle forward a few inches so it could come down if I decide not to go to a larger or wider tire. In the rear I am toying with the idea of using another set of fender flares I got from a wrecking yard to add 3-5 inches to the rear wheel well and have it look factory so I could still stuff the tire and loose some lift. the front end does have multiple height settings with the use of adjustable brackets I went with so i am not stuck with anything yet. Currently my steering angles are perfect so I have chosen not to mess with it till I make my mind up on tire size and choice.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Still have more to do as in a rear bumper, skids, ect.

·
Registered
478 Posts
You are set! I'm going to ask b/c it's not intuitive...the three cans on the top. Why lay them on their side? Don't they leak? All of the jerry cans I've ever had leak. I would imagine that it's just a clearance thing. Are they fuel?

Matt
Matt, the rack basket on the forward section of the rack is made to hold 7 cans standing up like that. They never leak. They're NATO cans. NATO cans have a terrific seal. Two are fuel and one is water. We also have a aux fuel tank under the truck with a transfer pump. We are capable of carrying 85 gallons of fuel total. The trailer carries 19 gallons of fresh water.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Well here is mine, building it to take me to wherever i want and drive it the next day to school and work.

1997 Toyota 4runner
3 inch Toytec Lift
Trail Gear Rock Sliders
Maxxis Bighorn 255/85-r16
My Bling AMP wheels, yes they are scratched now :crybaby2:
Cobra 25 nw/ firestik 5ft antenna
KC Daylighters

Mall Crawler Pic for good measure lol... i got bored the other night so i went to the school to see wat there is to do :smokin:

Bumpers, skidplates, rollbar, and lockers are soon to come :grinpimp:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Jim, thats a great looking rover.
There is nothing like a Land Rover to say "Expedition Rig"

Here is our family hauler and grocery getter.
A work in progress. Like most of my projects its under constant revision.
Break up is almost over and my driveway is drying out.

Regards,

Jim

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Jim, thats a great looking rover.
There is nothing like a Land Rover to say "Expedition Rig"
Thanks, Jim. You've got a couple of cool rigs yourself. I really like the van. Cool and practical option that you don't see very often.

I'm in the middle of another Land Rover build right now. '67 109 that's getting a Benz 617 turbo, NP435, Toyota centers, etc. Should be done by the end of the summer. First big trip is probably going to be up to Newfoundland and Labrador but this truck will get to Alaska some time in the next couple years. I'll buy you a beer when I get there.

Jim

·
Registered
91 Posts
Right now, this is what we have. :( It works pretty well for easy trails.
1992 Dodge Cummins 4x4 and a 1997 Casita 17ft trailer. It's a start.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
Matt, the rack basket on the forward section of the rack is made to hold 7 cans standing up like that. They never leak. They're NATO cans. NATO cans have a terrific seal. Two are fuel and one is water. We also have a aux fuel tank under the truck with a transfer pump. We are capable of carrying 85 gallons of fuel total. The trailer carries 19 gallons of fresh water.
farkle....lol...nice mall crawler, dave.

:D:D

funny to see you 'round these parts.

-Brian

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
Right now, this is what we have. :( It works pretty well for easy trails.
1992 Dodge Cummins 4x4 and a 1997 Casita 17ft trailer. It's a start.
cut off bed, lengthen rear of frame, attach camper onto the back of the frame, all done.:D

·
Registered
478 Posts
farkle....lol...nice mall crawler, dave.

:D:D

funny to see you 'round these parts.

-Brian
Yeah been a while... but have been on 'these parts' since 2000. Just hardly post up anymore since i don't have a rock buggy on 44" tires. :flipoff2:

Shot of me hauling ass to the mall for the early bird sale..

81 - 100 of 2415 Posts