Pirate 4x4 banner

121 - 140 of 2413 Posts

·
RIP Angel
7,532 Posts
I'm glad I stumbled across this thread. I've been tinkerin' w/ just a few ideas or turning this into a live in rig for a while. I used it as a my home while deer hunting. I know a lift winch and tires are in order before I can even get serious. The trailer would be nice to bring but I rarely use it for anything.

1994 F350 CrewCab 4x4

Trailers for sale, wink, wink..

·
Registered
6 Posts
my fathers 91 jeep cherokee

dana 30 front 4.56 gears ARB air locker alloy shafts and warn hubs
Tera 44 rear 4.56 gears ARB air locker alloy shafts
NP231 t-case with teralow 4:1 short shaft
BFG 35/12.5/15 mud terrains
15in american racing mojave wheels
tomken sliders with custom side protection
unibody stiffening rails
custom skidplate/ radius arm mounts
rubicon express tj longarm kit modified to fit xj (back before the xj kit was available)
rubicon express 5.5 springs rear
ARB safari snorkle
Doug thorley header
flowmaster exhaust
home made front and rear bumpers

·
Registered
321 Posts
Kinda pushing the definition of expedition vehicle, since it is very heavy and 2WD, but it does have a locking rear differential (from a Mack) and 42" tires! There is also a winch in the works.

The primary limitation off-road is the weight and the limited crawl ability with the Allison 4sp and 3.7 gears. Should have held out for an Allison 5sp, whch has about a 10:1 first gear.

I looked into a 4wd chassis, but they are very hard to find with a DT466, and expensive, heavy, loud and too tall and long. It's primarily a tow rig, anyway.

This is a former Coke truck, and cost all of $5500. I had the camper already. The axle cost $1500. AC $1600. New rear tires $1200. Raw steel to build the subframe, etc., almost $2k.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm in the middle of another Land Rover build right now. '67 109 that's getting a Benz 617 turbo, NP435, Toyota centers, etc. Should be done by the end of the summer. First big trip is probably going to be up to Newfoundland and Labrador but this truck will get to Alaska some time in the next couple years. I'll buy you a beer when I get there.

Jim
That sounds terrific, It would be great to see 109 turbo up close.
I might even go "Land Rover" I have toyed with the idea but they seem to be hard to find up here.

Regards,

Jim

·
Registered
757 Posts
Kinda pushing the definition of expedition vehicle, since it is very heavy and 2WD, but it does have a locking rear differential (from a Mack) and 42" tires! There is also a winch in the works.

The primary limitation off-road is the weight and the limited crawl ability with the Allison 4sp and 3.7 gears. Should have held out for an Allison 5sp, whch has about a 10:1 first gear.

I looked into a 4wd chassis, but they are very hard to find with a DT466, and expensive, heavy, loud and too tall and long. It's primarily a tow rig, anyway.

This is a former Coke truck, and cost all of $5500. I had the camper already. The axle cost $1500. AC $1600. New rear tires $1200. Raw steel to build the subframe, etc., almost $2k.
that is badass....i like that idea...
i notice you got a TW200 on the trailer, how do you like those???? i was thinking of a little DS/camp bike and can't decide between the XT225 or the TW200.....

·
Registered
20 Posts
95 F-150
*Solid D44 with yukon shafts/ujoints in front and stock 8.8 rear.
*Detroit lockers, 37"MTR's
*8 inch superlift coils (too stiff), skyjacker leaves (perfect when loaded)
*5.8 liter with Shorty headers and chip (from previous owner)
*12,000 Milemarker Winch

Still need dual batteries and an air compressor that can handle tires. Keep the 35 inch spare in the bed but will eventually mount it out back. Softer coils are on order.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Since very few folks go far from the mall with their GMC Envoys (sister to the Chevy Trailblazer), I thought I'd be different. Live for a week at a time out of her in the Sierra/Inyo/White Mtn. area:

Getting stuck on purpose in loose sand to test the Pull Pal:

Borrego badlands:

Tablet PC (M1400 Motion Computing) on RAM mount - running MP3s, TOPO, Street Atlas, EFI Live tuning software, etc.

2.7-to-1 TC, Eaton rear automatic locker, 32" ProComp Xtreme MT, little bit o' fender cutting, 3" lift, custom sliders and bumper, Engel fridge on slide-out, 275 HP I6. Future SAS after it's paid for in a year and Mrs. Roadie looks the other way.

·
Registered
321 Posts
On the TW200:

It's the wife's bike, actually, but I ride it a lot, about as much as my TTR250. It's a lot of fun in the woods, but could use a little more power (a TW250 would be perfect). Oddly, it's not that great in the sand, probably because I have the tire pressure too high. This is because there are NO rimlocks. Some day I will fabricate rimlocks for it and try it out at 6 pounds. Or maybe use Tireballs like the quad guys.

Thanks for the rig comment.

·
Registered
757 Posts
On the TW200:

It's the wife's bike, actually, but I ride it a lot, about as much as my TTR250. It's a lot of fun in the woods, but could use a little more power (a TW250 would be perfect). Oddly, it's not that great in the sand, probably because I have the tire pressure too high. This is because there are NO rimlocks. Some day I will fabricate rimlocks for it and try it out at 6 pounds. Or maybe use Tireballs like the quad guys.

Thanks for the rig comment.
my wife has a ttr230 and i like tooling around on it better than my 450x, i just want something i can plate without dropping 7K

i've seen setups like yours, but yours is definitely the cleanest and best executed, the amout of storage you have is great....what kind of MPG you get with it????

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Since very few folks go far from the mall with their GMC Envoys (sister to the Chevy Trailblazer), I thought I'd be different. Live for a week at a time out of her in the Sierra/Inyo/White Mtn. area:

Getting stuck on purpose in loose sand to test the Pull Pal:

Borrego badlands:

Tablet PC (M1400 Motion Computing) on RAM mount - running MP3s, TOPO, Street Atlas, EFI Live tuning software, etc.

2.7-to-1 TC, Eaton rear automatic locker, 32" ProComp Xtreme MT, little bit o' fender cutting, 3" lift, custom sliders and bumper, Engel fridge on slide-out, 275 HP I6. Future SAS after it's paid for in a year and Mrs. Roadie looks the other way.
Hmm... gotta say thats the first time ive seen a built Envoy... thats pretty sweet!

And speaking of the pull pal, how do you like it? Does it work well?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Maybe I should have posted here 1st instead of the "Ulitmate" thread:shaking:

Toyota Landcruiser HZJ75 cab chassis 1995, 6CYL 4.2 litre diesel, 5sp,dual tanks(total 46 gallonsUS)
Its getting a makeover in the near future.

Pic taken in Victoria desert central australia.

·
Registered
17,636 Posts
Its not mine, but a customers. His name on pirate is SocalXJ (I think). Its fawkin badass as far as expadition vehicles go. This thing has EVERYTHING. :smokin:

Here is his website / expedition blog. http://www.adventureduo.com/

I sponsor Dave and Yosh with Amsoil products :D They are good peeps.. I've known Dave for a LONG time, and his rig is sick.
Scott

·
Registered
262 Posts
95 F-150
*Solid D44 with yukon shafts/ujoints in front and stock 8.8 rear.
*Detroit lockers, 37"MTR's
*8 inch superlift coils (too stiff), skyjacker leaves (perfect when loaded)
*5.8 liter with Shorty headers and chip (from previous owner)
*12,000 Milemarker Winch

Still need dual batteries and an air compressor that can handle tires. Keep the 35 inch spare in the bed but will eventually mount it out back. Softer coils are on order.

this pic looks like anderson truck trail or somewhere in alpine

121 - 140 of 2413 Posts