Pirate 4x4 banner

61 - 80 of 565 Posts

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
I was pulling this

Here's mine, not much.
with this:

and could not keep a tranny in it (3 inside 25K miles and warranty co. said no more). Long beam length is where the trouble was for me, and mine isn't as long as the one above. Guess I had a lemon or something. Wish I could have kept it, but wifey is glad she got her Commander to drive.

·
Registered
8,420 Posts
As long as the pin weight is 3K or less, the SRW will be fine. Not that I'd do it....I enjoy my DRW for pulling heavy 5vers but many others can pull it off just fine.
In the linked page to that trailer, he says the pin weight is 3500lbs. Seems like the axles could have been further forward.
Travis..

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
In the linked page to that trailer, he says the pin weight is 3500lbs. Seems like the axles could have been further forward.
Travis..
Depends on the gross trailer weight....should be targeting 25% of gross on the pin. I would bet the current axle location allows for roughly 25% on the pin. Yes, I agree 3500 LB on the pin is heavy for an SRW. The 11.5 AAM rear will handle a 3500 LB pin fine but depending on the tires used, they will be at or past their load limit.

·
Registered
10,638 Posts
Depends on the gross trailer weight....should be targeting 25% of gross on the pin. I would bet the current axle location allows for roughly 25% on the pin. Yes, I agree 3500 LB on the pin is heavy for an SRW. The 11.5 AAM rear will handle a 3500 LB pin fine but depending on the tires used, they will be at or past their load limit.
I know the 11.5 AAM is a beast. My friends 03 CTD 3500 DRW dodge has a rear axle rating of 9,300 lbs. That is huge for a 1 ton. This weekend I loaded 1900 lbs in the back of it (would have bottomed out my 1/2 ton), didn't even put his truck on the overloads.

·
Premium Member
7,696 Posts
...This weekend I loaded 1900 lbs in the back of it (would have bottomed out my 1/2 ton), didn't even put his truck on the overloads.
Shit....I would hope not. It took about 4600 lbs in the bed of my 2500 to put it on the overloads. 1900 lbs wouldn't even squat the rear enough to take the rake out of the truck's stance.

·
Registered
10,638 Posts
Shit....I would hope not. It took about 4600 lbs in the bed of my 2500 to put it on the overloads. 1900 lbs wouldn't even squat the rear enough to take the rake out of the truck's stance.
Dang, you 2500 must be a 4500. Put 3500 lbs in the back of his and it was on the overloads (two pallets of 18" tile for a house). his was riding level with the leveling kit once we put the 1900 lbs in. I'd say he's got about 250 to 300 lbs of stuff in his truck / cab.

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts

Pics or it didn't happen....No way 4500 didn't put it on its overloads....I was riding on bumpstops with 4000 in a 3/4....now I have airbags:D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just out of curiosity. Why do you all that have this set up choose to do it this way. Why not put the camper in the bed of the truck and just use a bumper pull trailer with the rig on it? Im trying to figure out which way I want to go is why Im asking.

·
Registered
10,638 Posts
Just out of curiosity. Why do you all that have this set up choose to do it this way. Why not put the camper in the bed of the truck and just use a bumper pull trailer with the rig on it? Im trying to figure out which way I want to go is why Im asking.
Gooseneck is very easy to tow, less sway, less worry about tongue weight, heavier trailers.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
a whole lot less hassle. unless you have a truck to deidicate to this task(goin on wheelin trips) or you NEVER use your truck bed for anything else,youd have to remove the camper from the truck after every trip and load it up again in preparation.and youd have to store it and your trailer somewhere.

further,you are limited in camper size before needing hitch stabilizers and extensions. if you mount a camper on a trailer you can utilize a much nicer larger camper than you could carry.

not to mention that you can still carry things in the bed of a truck even with a gooseneck or 5th wheel trailer. with the truck carrying the camper youre limited to what fits on the trailer.

permantly or semi-permantly mounting the camper to the trailer solves all the above mentioned issues. if your spare parts are also permantly stored in the camper/trailer all you have to do is pack food and tools,hook up the trailer and go :)

·
Premium Member
7,696 Posts
Also, if you need to run after parts for your broken trail rig, or you just want to run into town for a meal or something, you can just drop the trailer and take off. With a camper in the bed of the truck, you have to pack everything away in camper before you can go anywhere in it. Also works out well if your wife/gf goes on the trip, but wants to do something else during the day while you go wheel.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
Also, if you need to run after parts for your broken trail rig, or you just want to run into town for a meal or something, you can just drop the trailer and take off. With a camper in the bed of the truck, you have to pack everything away in camper before you can go anywhere in it. Also works out well if your wife/gf goes on the trip, but wants to do something else during the day while you go wheel.

this is pretty much my exact reason..

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Dang, you 2500 must be a 4500. Put 3500 lbs in the back of his and it was on the overloads (two pallets of 18" tile for a house). his was riding level with the leveling kit once we put the 1900 lbs in. I'd say he's got about 250 to 300 lbs of stuff in his truck / cab.
Pics or it didn't happen....No way 4500 didn't put it on its overloads....I was riding on bumpstops with 4000 in a 3/4....now I have airbags:D
You guys and your friends need to get real trucks:flipoff2:

3200 lbs of crush 'n run in the bed here, stock springs, no bags, not to the overloads yet:

/tangent

Now back to campers on trailers...

·
Registered
12 Posts
As far as sleeping in the camper whats the most people yall have had in it. I know for me and my wife It wouldnt be a problem, but we plan on having 2 kids in the future. Are there campers out there that would comfortably fit 4 people for sleeping and sitting inside incase the weather gets horrible all of a sudden. I have tried looking but have had no luck.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I will have to dig up the pictures of my 99 f-250 psd with 3.31 TONS of river rock in the bed. I had about 1/4 inch of suspension travel left. Not smart, but only went 5 miles. The loader at the yard got a bit carried away.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I bought this old camper for $300 with the box trailer. I don't know it's year (late 60's, early 70's). I put new carpet and an air mattress in it. It's in really good shape. Next summer I plan to wire in the lights to the trailer lights for the full poultry package.
Trailer is a 27' Titan GN

61 - 80 of 565 Posts