Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
3' x 4', 1/4" top, 7ga bottom shelf, 3x3x.188 angle making the frame, with 2 supports across the middle of the top, and 2 more across the middle of the bottom.

It's strong as hell, but obvously not 100% flat. I figure if I eventually want or need a FLAT surface, I can do some 1" across the top of it, or just replace the 1/4" with some 1". The top is welded on enough to hold it securely, but not so much that I can't cut it off and do a different top, if needed.

On ball bearing, cast iron casters with locks and polyurethane skins.

Picture is of the beginnings of the inside-the-camper-shell headache rack for my truck, but you can see the table pretty well.

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts

2'x3' 3/8" top I still have to finish removing the scale from. The top was a freebie and the legs are drops from other projects. It's all I can fit in my slightly larger than 1 car garage currently. More space will require a bigger table.

What's the model number on that vise? I just snagged a 204 1/2 and a 104 (IIRC) from C-list. According to Reed they were both sold in the early 1930's. They are the nicest vises I've ever owned too.
I just tore my 204_1/2 down and cleaned it up. I really like contours and how smooth this thing still works for being as old as it is. Reed made some excellent vises.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I don't remember the model # . I'll check next time I'm at the shop.

Just curious, how much did you pay for both of your Reed's? Any pictures?
I got them both for $225. Not a deal worth starting a big bold letter titled bragging thread but I think it was a decent deal for the most part. The 204.5 is 115lb +/- and the 104 is maybe about 50 or 60. So roughly $1.28 per pound. I'll get a picture of them tomorrow on my welding table.

·
Mr. Personality
10,288 Posts
I got them both for $225. Not a deal worth starting a big bold letter titled bragging thread but I think it was a decent deal for the most part. The 204.5 is 115lb +/- and the 104 is maybe about 50 or 60. So roughly $1.28 per pound. I'll get a picture of them tomorrow on my welding table.
Not a bad deal at all. I'd buy them all day long for that price.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Trying again with the picture this time :rolleyes:

Here they are on the corner of my welding table as well. The table is 80/20 type frame with a 1.25" thick 4'x5.5' aluminum top. Not exactly my dream fab table but it has served me very well for the last 4 years or so.

104 1/2 on the left and the 204 1/2 on the right.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,514 Posts
I think mine is a 40? Its heavy as hell and I needed to make sure my table could support it :laughing:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts
I think mine is a 40? Its heavy as hell and I needed to make sure my table could support it :laughing:
Looks like a newer Reed 3CA. The combination vises are numbered like the Wilton's they compete against (C-0 through C-3) exept they start at 1C up to 4C.

A 3CA should have 5" wide jaws.

They're built exactly like the current Columbian combination vices, either one is awesome.

·
Snooty Poser
1,121 Posts
How tall are people building them? I have a 3' x 5' 1/2" plate, and steel for a frame. Just wondering how long to cut the legs.

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts
How tall are people building them? I have a 3' x 5' 1/2" plate, and steel for a frame. Just wondering how long to cut the legs.
The standard is 30-36" for a work surface, but it does depend on your own size.

Most of the systems I design for work end up with 34" tall work surfaces.

Make sure to account for casters and mounting plates if you're using them.

My own welding table is 36" tall.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
Do you guys use that kind of table for cutting on as well?

I'm trying to come up with a slatted table so I could cut material with plasma or torch, but then be able to have a solid top as well. I have about 8-9ft to work with where the table will need to go.

Have been thinking of maybe just doing 1/2 and 1/2 slated/solid, but would be nice to see photos for ideas.

As far as vices, I spent 3 years keeping an eye out for a nice used one. Couple times them came up, they wanted retarded prices for them. Ended up just buying a "bottom end" Wilton. I just couldn't spend $700-800 on a high end one.

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts

I'm trying to come up with a slatted table so I could cut material with plasma or torch, but then be able to have a solid top as well. I have about 8-9ft to work with where the table will need to go.

Have been thinking of maybe just doing 1/2 and 1/2 slated/solid, but would be nice to see photos for ideas.

As far as vices, I spent 3 years keeping an eye out for a nice used one. Couple times them came up, they wanted retarded prices for them. Ended up just buying a "bottom end" Wilton. I just couldn't spend $700-800 on a high end one.
I don't cut over my table, I do clamp things to it and cut off the side though.

I want to build a sewer grate looking assembly and weld a couple peice of angle under the table so I can slide it out for smaller peices of material.

·
Premium Member
14,731 Posts

I`m building a small slatted table w/down draft to cut on.
The table will have sides etc, seperate from the "welding" / "Fab" table.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Height depends on how tall you are and what you are doing on it. I built a rolling welding table with tool boxs for myself thats in my dads shop. I built it to put what little tools in it and lock them so no one messes with them and because his welding table is way too short for me. I think mine is about 40" if i recall which is perfect for me im 6'6". But if im working on something tall or beating on something it is too tall so i use his table. That offset idea is nice. Maybe make it a touch bigger if your welding something tall. I would love to have a slat cutting area too. Maybe ill make a small atatchment. Or another idea would be have that slide out like posted above and cut in the open area. Not as nice as the slats but better than just hanging it off the end. I thought about drilling holes and making atatchments for jigs but haven't seen a system that will be easy to use and not take more time to set up then it would be to just tack it then weld it.

·
Snooty Poser
1,121 Posts
Thanks, I'm 6' but have short legs. I'll probably shoot for about 34".

·
Registered
10,514 Posts
Looks like a newer Reed 3CA. The combination vises are numbered like the Wilton's they compete against (C-0 through C-3) exept they start at 1C up to 4C.

A 3CA should have 5" wide jaws.

They're built exactly like the current Columbian combination vices, either one is awesome.
Looked and it is a 4C, just like the one I have at work but that one is older.

My table will be 37" tall once I put the castors on it, should be the right height.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
24"x38"
39" tall
5/16" top
Two receiver hitches on each end
Parking spot under it for my clamp/fab tools cart

30"x39"
34.5" high
1/2" top which I need to strip the paint from
Tube storage on the bottom