Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All who say that using FJ 60 axle housings under an FJ 40 SOA is worth all the extra money of buying them SAY ---- YA.

All who say no SAY ---- NO.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
The axles should cost the same (assuming you need a front and a rear) but its the fab involved that will determine whether or not its worth it. I have 60 axle on my 40 and love them...but it was alot of extra work to set them up correctly. You can get almost the same effect by running a 2" BS wheel on a FJ40 axle... It is harder on the trunnions but I see guys running them around here alot and they don't have any major problems. Good Luck :D

·
Premium Member
8,009 Posts
GloNDark said:
Seems like a lot of work just to end up with birfields again.

Why not go dana44 atleast there are plenty of spare parts availible for em.
This is a good point but... If you want to stay cruiser I think its a good up grade. Buy some longfields and call it a good mod.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
ya, its worth it if yu get the 60 axles cheap enough

i got mine and got pretty ripped when i bought them, thinking i was getting a good deal!!

but you learn, in the fitiure, i will make up for it!!

i built the rig from scratch, so some extra fabbing wasnt an issue!

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
I would say no!
If your gonna spend the money for an axle upgrade, might as well do it right and go Dana 60's. More than likely it will be the last axle upgrade you will do........Well unleast til something stronger and economical comes along.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Well, I like my 60 axles under my 60 right now... :D

I would think that if you're gonna build a mild SOA, stick with the stock axles. However if you're gonna chop and hack bodyparts to stuff 42s in there. I'd go with non-cruiser stuff for strength and relative cheapness. Of course, while you are chopping and hacking, you might as well just replace the drivetrain too because the 2F and stock tranny/tcase just won't move those 42s slow enough! :D

Unless of course you're in neutral, with your buddies pushing.

·
Moderating Midget
26,370 Posts
I have come to the conclusion that spacers or 2" BS wheels are a better choice than dealing with the passenger's side perch on a FJ-60 axle when putting it in a Cruiser.

As for Birfs, B. Long has fixed that. I would rather have a Longfield than a D44 anything.

I think when I do my FJ-45 SOA, I am going to use a FJ-40 front and a centered rear.....

In your case, I would do a FJ-40 front (57.5" wide) and maybe a FJ-60 rear if you can get it CHEAP (60" wide)

That way you would only need front spacers.

·
Registered
988 Posts
nolen not to brag but the centered rear I have on my cruiser is awesome. I can take pictures if you like but it looks like it belongs.

I went spring over in the rear only and it turned out great. I went with a D20 transfercase. For the housing I just flipped it over and spun it around. I also had the axles cut to 30 spline and have a late model R&P (fine spline). I think it is a pretty cool little upgrade. I also have spacers on there to even up the width.

arndog

·
Registered
13,062 Posts
wngrog said:
I have come to the conclusion that spacers or 2" BS wheels are a better choice than dealing with the passenger's side perch on a FJ-60 axle when putting it in a Cruiser.
Ok Nolen, so what is the max tire size you would run on 40 axles w/2" BS wheels? Could I go with 38's, or should I stick with 36's?

I don't want to spend money on 36's just to buy 38's soon afterwards.

-mike.

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
You will be fine with the 38" tires.
As long as you get a set of longfields.

I already had the 2" BS wheels on my SO 40. I wanted to be a bit wider. SO FJ60 front axle and Tacoma rear axle it is.

Nice and wide now..

And Glo, D44????
The money it takes to make a D44 as strong as a cruiser axle with longfields is not worth it. You almost could buy a D60 for the same cost..

If you currently have a FJ40 front with disks all you need is the 60 housing and a long side axle or two. the short side is the same. And the mini long side is the same length as the FJ60 long side so there are plenty of htem out there.

Bare housing should be cheap.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Not to pirate this thread but..

Nolan and Arndog,
What centered rear diff are you using/would you use? The old cruiser centered diffs are tough to find! And aren't they weaker/narrower?

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
Get a mini diff..
V6 centersection and it will probably outlast the crusier axle. And no C clips..

·
Registered
193 Posts
i say yes too. i ran a fj-62 front and a fj-60 rear and liked it.it's a good set up if you like staying with toyota parts.you will need to add longfields to the front and disc brakes to the rear.
:cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the info.

My current cruiser is a '76 FJ 40 (disks on front) with a 350. The rest is pretty much stock except for the cut-out rear wheel well and roll cage.

I am in the process of getting my ideas together to do a SOA and power steering. I was looking into FJ 60 housings for the extra width.

Please keep the votes coming.:beer: FOR ALL

If you guys havn't checked out wngrog's thread on his tube fenders you better get over their. They are sweet.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
Jason M said:
And Glo, D44????
The money it takes to make a D44 as strong as a cruiser axle with longfields is not worth it. You almost could buy a D60 for the same cost..
Yeah but I can and have bought 5 dana 44's for what I would have paid for 1 set of long fields. Sure it may not be as bullet proof but hey the 44's are everyone parts are cheap and plentiful. Great for a poor ass wheeler like me. :D

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.