Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I need a little help figuring out airbags for my Tundra tow vehicle. This rig tows pretty nicely, but the tongue weight with the added gear in the bed keeps the axle just off the bumpstops. Reducing tongue weight causes the trailer to "wag the dog" too much.

What are good designs for air bags? Easy to install myself? I would imagine that I would need to wire a compressor and switch (like an ARB wiring) for it.

Any advice helpful. I am sure others have these questions too.

Thanks in advance,

SeanP

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
I went with the airlift system. I am not sure if they made one for your truck or not. It cost ~$200 for the whole system. Looks pretty simple, and they say about 1-2hrs to install. I havent gotten around to putting mine on but the word on the street is that they are the way to go.

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Don't forget to put your rig on a scale and see how much weight you're hauling on that rear axle.

The springs are only part of the equation - you need the rear end to be able to handle the weight, too, along with the tires.

My 1T has a 7500lbs rear end. The tires (singles) are rated for 6,096lbs total.

The springs are rated for 6300lbs.

Air-bags in this case won't fix the 6,096lbs rating of the tires.

Going to duals, I can get over 8k in tires.. then I could air-bag it to help the 6300lbs springs all the way up to my 7500lbs rating.

'course, I have another rig with a 3500lbs rear axle, and 3500lbs springs, and 6000lbs of tires.

Air-bags will just help me overload it and smoke another rear axle bearing and shoot it out the side while pulling a too-heavy load too-fast..

·
pimping sparks&smoke
706 Posts
Could a weight distrubuting hitch be the better way for him to go leveling out the load instead of increasing the spring rate just in the rear? I'm a towing rookie but this is what I was thinking about doing for a 4700lb trailer (rig&trailer total) behind a 02 4runner (temporary until a CTD comes my way;) ) Also thought at the same time I would put on a sway control device.
Richard

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
I JUST INSTALLED THE AIR LIFT SYSTEM ON MY X CAB GMC.....ALMOST TOO EASY .......THA HARDEST PART IS DRILLING THE HOLES IT THE FRAME.....OTHER THAN THAT IT TAKES ABOUT 30 MINUTES TO INSTALL. WORKS AWSOME WHEN TOWING TOO.... STILL MESSING WITH MINE TO FIND A HAPPY MEDIUM

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
The load distribution hitch is a great idea, but it works the best with air bags. The hitch set-up with the anti-sway controller will run around $375. The only problem is, it works only on trailers with those mounting brackets. The air bags, on the other hand, will work for every trailer you pull and other loads in the bed. And don't forget to run the max tire pressure on the truck!

As far as the axle rating goes, I wouldn't worry too much. I overload the shit outta my F350 dually. I don't remember what it's rated for, but I go through the scales at 11000lbs, on the rear axle alone! My air bag brackets bent and started to push through the bed of my truck, so I re-inforced them!

The Firestone air bags I have are rated at 2500lbs each, I believe. For some reason I think it could be 5000lbs each, but I doubt it. They are the double bellow type found on most light truck applications. Anyway, I run 100psi in those things when I'm loaded, and they have held up for over 100k miles. So I would definately make sure to get that brand if I were you.

·
10,525 Posts
SeanP said:

What are good designs for air bags? Easy to install myself? I would imagine that I would need to wire a compressor and switch (like an ARB wiring) for it.

Any advice helpful. I am sure others have these questions too.

Thanks in advance,

SeanP
I have the Firestone heavy duty bags on the F-250,....you don't need a compressor although it would be nice to have, I just have the airlines running to the bumper and through the holes in the bottom of the license plate, you won't even notice it unless you're looking for them. When I load up, I just stop at the local station on the way out and level off the truck, I generally run about 70psi in mine.

The install will be fairly simple, like someone else said, hardest part is drilling through the frame.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the replies guys! And thanks for clarifiying the compressor thing. Looks like about $250 and an afternoon to get these done. I have a big trip coming up this spring and I don't want to feel my bumpstops all the time.

SeanP

1 - 10 of 10 Posts