Votes: 7 33.3%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Who's is better? Why do you think so?
Looking for do-it-yo self weld on kit.
I almost ordered some then decided to get your guys opionion first. I like Longs because they go inside the lip of the wheel. But let me hear what you think.

Let see some pics too if you got em.

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
I like Bobbies over the others for these reasons.

I like how the weld on ring sets inside the rim lip. Easier to weld IMO.

They have the extra ring to prevent conig of the outter ring.

These features sold me on them.

Free Shipping and the best price as well.

Other makers:

RS's are a GREAT item and I would have bought them if BL's weren't around.

C&R's were considered as well until I called on the price and it was near double the others, but had a bling alum. ring. Not that important to me.

Don't forget Sky's. I called them as well. The inner ring sits on the wheel edge like RS and has an alum. ring for $100 wheel. They are a great place as well.

I honestly do not think you can go wrong with any of them.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bones Agreed. I read through your write up on them. As far as aluminum I really dont want it. I would rather have steel. Everyone prices are about the same. Like I said I am leaning towards BL's, but wanted some opinions. Thanks Bones, you made me feel a littel better about my decision making skills.

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
Ahhhh! Fuggetaboutit! plus free shipping to MD is SWEET! ship anything that heavy from coast to coast and it'd cost ya I'm sure.

·
Banned
9,402 Posts
I ran Sky's for a while and liked them. I got rid of them mostly becasue I was getting tired of dealing the the tire shops and tire damage and they not being able to unmount or mount the rings....I don't blame them. So I got rid of them and now I'm spinning my rims in my tires so I'm thinking about going back to locks......

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
If Bobby would make a high steer kit and sell some lockers for the 8" He would have the market cornered. :D

Oh I vote for Bobby's mainly because of the extra ring to reduce coning. and DEFINETLY the free shipping.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I got sky's i like them a lot i bought them because
i liked the counter sunk allen head bolts
3/8s hardwear
and the great service
i will try and post pics tomarrow.

·
Banned
543 Posts
Bobby long's bead locks seem to be one of the best for the money spent as well as the constructability as well.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Another low dollar option.

Cheap used Bart 16 bolt beadlocks, redrilled for 32 bolts and upgraded to 3/8" hardware. Think I saw a set for a toy in the for sale section cheap.

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
kwrangln said:
Cheap used Bart 16 bolt beadlocks, redrilled for 32 bolts and upgraded to 3/8" hardware. Think I saw a set for a toy in the for sale section cheap.
Flimsy thin rings to boot. :rolleyes:

·
Moo 2 U
3,828 Posts
runred4x4 said:
I got sky's i like them a lot i bought them because
i liked the counter sunk allen head bolts
3/8s hardwear
and the great service
i will try and post pics tomarrow.
i was reading a post last week over counter sunk allen bolts and regular hex bolts. (dont remember who posted it) but the jist of it was that if you fubar the alan bolts, they are near impossible to remove, but with regular hex bolts, even if they are pretty fawked up, are considerably easier to remove.

it was also mentioned that the hex bolts will actually grip rocks on the side of the wheels and provide a little bit of traction.

i'm not trying to detract from sky's kit (he makes some kick ass stuff), many beadlock manufacturers use countersunk hex bolts, or atleast offer them for additional cost. i'm curious to know if anyone has any personal experience to support or refute what i've been reading?

and when i was thinking about going with a DIY beadlock kit, i was pretty much sold on scotts product.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I have some 42's on Marsh wheels and love it.

I also have some 37's on Trailready wheels and they are awesome!

TB

PS, on that previous photo,

BLACK OUT DAMN IT!:flipoff2:

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
kwrangln said:
With a rolled outer edge, they dont need to be 1/4" thick:flipoff2:
That's your opinion I guess.

I like the hex bolts for simplicity and cost. I was tempted to spring for the counter sunk ones. Now that I didn't, I like them more and I saved a few bucks.

Also FWIW I have zero balancing done to my 37's and they are just fine at highway speeds. I haven't made the time to take them weeling yet though. :mad:

·
Registered
1,504 Posts

call me silly but that prolly really kinda maybe seams like a streetlock:flipoff2:

·
Visa Master
2,320 Posts
Well, i don't know about some of you, but with the crap there is around here, i've used bobby's nice thick beadlock ring to grind down protruding treestumps, that flimsy little picture you just showed would have folded over.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Mutt said:
Well, i don't know about some of you, but with the crap there is around here, i've used bobby's nice thick beadlock ring to grind down protruding treestumps, that flimsy little picture you just showed would have folded over.
I agree Mutt.
I have seen the nut-serts tear right outta the inner. Its just a matter of time. Yhose flimsy things are:rainbow:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts