Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have searched the board and have come up empty handed. i am building a s-10 body on a blazer frame with full exo. we figure it will wiegh in around 3500lbs. i was going to run coilovers but i cant afford 1600 bucks right now with all the other stuff i have to buy. so i am thinking aerostar coils on the rear. but i dont know about the front. i was thinking early bronco 5.5 lift springs? the rear will be three linked and the front probly 4 linked. so does anybody have any sugestion on this?????????

thanks jeff

·
Registered
192 Posts
Try some from a Dodge Ram 25 or 3500. Or you could try F-150, or Grand Cherokee with the V8 engine.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I have a 97 chevy silverado that I moved the rear axle forward 24 inches and bobbed the bed. In front I have a d44 with coils, at least until this weekend when it will be changed to a d60. My trucks weight is 6,845lb unloaded with all my camping shit, but all of my tools and off road stuff stays on all the time.

My point is I am running skyjacker 10 lift springs for a f150, they do come in smaller lift sizes. I like this spring it is firm enough to hold the appx 4500lb up front but still soft enough to flex. I max my 9012 shocks tuck and drop. They are not as nice as a progressive rate spring ( or is it vairable), anyway they are working for now

Thats a mouth full, but thats what I did.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bgreen said:
edit: nice cross post :rolleyes:
well if there where people in here to give tech i would not have posted it on gen 4x4. i am tryin to learn how to do this. there usualy is not much for tech in the chevy forum . thats why after 6 hours and 0 posts i put one up in gen 4x4.

jeff

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i am running a 350/700r4/205 combo. with d44 and 12b. will have around a 37" tire. we are really leaning towards the tj springs for the rear and bronco for the front. wishbone the rear and possably 4link the front? i am still trying to figure this out as this will be trial and error.

jeff

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
You might want to wait until you are closer to getting everything together to pick which coil you are going to use beacause 3500 lbs. sounds a little optimistic to me. For your combo I would guess 4k-4500lbs. Scott from Rockstomper might be able to help you a little more in this area. His rig sounds somewhat like what you are going for.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea we did some calculations last night and it will be some where in the 4500-4800lb range. i am going to give scott a call today and talk with him about it.

jeff

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Personally, I think the Aerostar coils are a little soft after watching Scott's rig and I think the weight of yours would exagerate this affect. I would look for something in the 225 in./lb. to 250 in./lb. rate, maybe 280 range.

·
Registered
600 Posts
wow thats heavy for a aerostar coil we put them on samurais i would go with a beefier xj front coil.. mount them inset so that you get more range of motion upon compression and articulation

1 - 11 of 11 Posts