Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ive got a few engines lined up for various builds, and with my current set up (a flat table) I can really only do 1 at a time. This is pretty inconvenient since I'm always waiting for parts or only have limited amounts of time where I would be able to do something small but am not at that point on the motor.

I have seen a few different type trays for different engine components ie head assembly trays and valvetrain trays, but they all seem to be for sbc's. Ideally I'd like some generic trays that can hold most everything, for a variety of motors. I could po robably router something out of wood but plastic would be a lot lighter and not making them myself would save me some time.

If anyone has heard of such a system, or has something that works for them they could share I'd really like to hear.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
I worked at an engine shop for a while. We used a plastic bin for each build, a giant safety pin for the springs and retainers and a pill bottle for the keepers. All the stuff out there is for an SBC.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I worked at an engine shop for a while. We used a plastic bin for each build, a giant safety pin for the springs and retainers and a pill bottle for the keepers. All the stuff out there is for an SBC.
Bins are ok but for keeping things like lifters and rods paired up bins dont really work. The sbc stuff would be ok if they didn't make them so that other brands wouldn't fit.

Maybe I'm just too picky.

·
Registered
11,202 Posts
egg carton for lifters
number your connecting rods
unless you mean pushrods, just toss those in a coffee can

·
Registered
684 Posts
I've used Flip Top Plastic Totes, Machine tool sleeves for push rods, shipping tubes for camshafts, Coat Hangers, plastic shot shell boxes, Marked everything from one engine with the same number... Hard Parts got the number Stamped if not in a box... Block, Crank and Heads in respective Federal Mogul Bags, and tagged and numbered.

·
Banned
7,229 Posts
I've used a tackle box. Labeled Ziploc when needed.

I do the same for axles, transfer cases, etc.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Bins are ok but for keeping things like lifters and rods paired up bins dont really work. The sbc stuff would be ok if they didn't make them so that other brands wouldn't fit.

Maybe I'm just too picky.
It's actually a pretty small market, and Goodson has most of it locked up and charges accordingly.
You could look into some larger bins and make inserts for them. The ones with clear lids would be badass to keep shop gick out while you are waiting on parts, money, a customer etc.

·
Pavement Challenged
1,698 Posts

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's actually a pretty small market, and Goodson has most of it locked up and charges accordingly.
You could look into some larger bins and make inserts for them. The ones with clear lids would be badass to keep shop gick out while you are waiting on parts, money, a customer etc.
That's kind of what I'm thinking about doing. There was a thread on here maybe a year or 2 ago talking about tool box foam you could cut into specific shapes for specific tools. I could use totes with the roam cut outs following the Goodson design then add the rockers springs etc. Would be nice if they were stackable too.

I burn through a lot of zip locks and other temporary storage fixes. I just prefer to have things layed out in order.

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
That's kind of what I'm thinking about doing. There was a thread on here maybe a year or 2 ago talking about tool box foam you could cut into specific shapes for specific tools. I could use totes with the roam cut outs following the Goodson design then add the rockers springs etc. Would be nice if they were stackable too.

I burn through a lot of zip locks and other temporary storage fixes. I just prefer to have things layed out in order.
Could you possibly buy a few of these at the local HF and use them to keep your shit organized? Lid flips closed to keep things clean, bins are removable. Clear top can be labeled with a magic marker, and then wiped clean with a bit of carb cleaner on a rag...

https://www.harborfreight.com/15-bin-portable-parts-storage-case-93929.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/8-bin-portable-parts-storage-case-93927.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/19-bin-portable-parts-storage-case-93928.html

They do stack up nicely. I have a ton of them in all the different sizes...

·
Registered
13,965 Posts
When I replaced the waterpump, I wrote on the bag what it was and put the bolts and parts if they fit into the bag. I had sandwich and gallon sized bags. The part, if separate, and baggie would then go into one of those large black totes. Number the bags/parts as they come off then you put them back on in reverse order. If you find part 99 when you're putting on part 10, you get to go back a few steps. i missed one of the small timing belt covers and had to pull a couple things back off to get it into position.

They have these cheap disposable rubbermaid tubs with lids which are hand too.

Anything location dependant, chunk of cardboard numbered, with the rough shape drawn out and bolt locations or whatnot cut so you can put the bolts in the same place. Waterpump I just used the old one to hold the bolts in the right order.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
when i worked at a machine shop, we had a bunch of these: https://akro-mils.com/Products/Types/Plastic-Storage-Containers/Akro-Grid

We bought some of the Akro dividers, and would also make our own out of various thin materials. They worked great and are very heavy duty. For what you are doing, i would cut a piece of cardboard to lay in the bottom and then put the dividers on top. You can write on the cardboard and it will soak up any oil, then you can put a new piece in with each build.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts