Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Owner TWF
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father owns a manufacturing plant and a cabinet shop that is 1 block from the plant. To make things run smoother he looking to move the cabinet shop and have everything under one roof. To make that happen I will be building him a 12' deep by 16' wide paint/finish room off the end of the plant. I know you can buy them premade but the fact that I have to build off of the building to begin with has me thinking I do not need all the extra stuff. The booth will be used for spraying finish on wood only. What kind of exhaust system do people use? Any info that can be handed this way would be great. The cabinet shop has a booth that is 40 plus years old so I don't have much to look at and work with as far as making a new one. I did look at pre made booths but most of them had the door on the skinny side and the pad that I look to use that is off the back of the building is 12' deep and 16' wide, as far as loading the booth with product it would be easier if they had the 16' side to work with. I didn't know if anyone had built their own or if they worked somewhere that had?

·
Registered
477 Posts
We built our own, its simply a stick and drywall structure that has holes up top that AC filters can be placed and the exhaust vent in the floor that vents it out side. We have two roll down doors on each side. Works great at keeping the paint fumes out of the main shop.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
For some cheap easy larger doors, could you use farm shop type that slide in a track? Sealing may be the hardest part on those though. But I would make for quite the large door for a lot smaller price.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I worked long ago at a manufacturer that used a 3 sided paint booth for small parts ( hydraulic tanks , cylinders..... ) that was about the size you are discussing and they had filters on the exhaust air side but the " back wall" of the booth had corrugated roof looking stuff with water falling down it ( just a trickle )

·
Registered
123 Posts
I am also a cabinetmaker, and have built my own booth....from a premade unit I purchased years ago. Your question regarding the exhaust will be dependant on what finish is being sprayed. Is your father shooting water bourne or solvent based finish. That's the first step. As someone else had commented, a wood framed wall covered with sheetrock works well.

Lighting will be important, and is also dictated by the finish. If your dad sprays solvents, everything needs to be sealed....everything. From the lighting to the type of exhaust fan you use. What will you do about the "make up" air supply? How cold does it get where you're located? Solvent based finish needs to maintain proper temps, which means if it's cold(below 65degrees) your make air now should be preheated...otherwise you'll have issues with the finish. Yes, I know you can add reducers to retard the open time of the finish but that slows production, etc....

I have a ton of info, but just don't like writing a book. Shoot me a PM if you want.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts