Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to cut a good deal of the tranny tunnel out, so I'm wondering if it might be a good time to make the floor see through. Would there be any problems with this? Would Lexan be the way to go? What should I use where the Lexan and the sheetmetal go together? This would be the driver's and pass. side floorboards, and over the tranny tunnel. Would it hold up to the abuse of being stepped on all the time?

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
I have been thinking about this too. I just dont think I want to deal with the floor when its all scratched up and you cant see through it anymore.

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
Drill the lexan and use rivets to secure to the tranny tunnel and other sheet metal. Lexan is harder to scratch that cheap poly-carb and 1/4" thick should easily take the footsteps.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is gonna be on a DD. Would rivets be enough to keep the majority of air from coming in? I'm not all that worried about it, but just asking.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, where in the Phoenix area might I be able to get some Lexan. What kinda places sell it? Home Depot?

·
Registered
509 Posts
McSoo said:
This is gonna be on a DD. Would rivets be enough to keep the majority of air from coming in? I'm not all that worried about it, but just asking.
use some clear silicone and the rivets

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
we've done this and it works good.. but after a while when it gets dirty and scratched it's hard to see through..

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
I did both my hood and floor in lexan, after just a couple of trips I can't see through the floor any more. For the floor of my buggy I am thinking expanded metal is a better choice. Feet on lexan = lots of scratches.

Attachments

·
Visa Master
2,320 Posts
You can use automotive rubbing compound and polish to remove most scratches from the lexan. Then a good wax will help provide some protection...

It takes work but you can buff most scratches out...

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
I'm doing this right now and had the same concerns. I'm going to put expanded metal over the lexan to prevent any contact with feet, this will also let dirt,h2o, sand etc. to filter through, but will keep a solid floor for the cold days or h2O crossings.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The expanded metal sounds like a good idea.

What about this:
(for the floor) using adhesive rubber stripping for the places where the cut pieces of lexan come together. Take like a 1 or 2" wide strip of the stuff you would use on like a bathtub or a door seal, and put that on place where the two pieces come together. Then use some good caulking and lay a bead of it along where the pieces come together. Then take another strip of adhesive stuff and put that on top to make it hold a little better. Does that sound promising at all?

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
fawk lexan!! I made my windshield from Lexan, and it's already all scratched up. BAD IDEA!!! Mike, go for AL sheet, or stainless, don't waste time tryin to make it see through. I don't think it would be useful on your rig...

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Yeah, its not like your ever going to take it wheelin Mike:flipoff2: What do you want to watch the road as goes by beneath you:D BWAHAHAHAHA

·
Registered
354 Posts
Bad Idea! Circle track has taught me that sheetmetal floor bearly holda a grenading transmission. Even after it has bounced off the engine parts still came throught the 1/4" Lexan windshield. If you like your feet steel may be the way to go. Or mabey a sfi aproved scatter guard if you are determined to seethe crap sprayed up the bottom of your rig.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts