Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
heres the deal, rolled my 80' truck on the right side pretty hard and fawked my cab/ windshield. I can "fix" the cab with a hammer/ torch/ porta-power but the windshield is a different story. I dont want to replaced every time I tip it so i was considering plexiglass or lexan shaped over another stock winshield. Anybody put one in the stock socket cleanly? I hoping that the plastic would flex a little without getting stress marks/ snapping.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
You won't be able to see out of either plexi or lexan after a short time, especially in sunlight. It's glass or nothing.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you talking about glare or the sun breaking down the material? I thought alot of goggle lenses were made of lexan? I thought lots of drag racers ran aftermarket plastic windows too? I know they sell aftermarket windshields for jeeps, but no one said how they liked them in my searches.

·
Registered
641 Posts
It scratches. Super quick. I've tried.

Hell man, we run Economy Glass down in Walla Walla. I'll get you one for way cheap (not at the shop to look it up). PM me. Then maybe look into a easy exo for just the cab, especially if you roll as much as I used to :D

:edit: I really don't think this is pimpage of the yellow star type, just hookin a toy driver up, before anyone starts complaining about it...

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sweet- I was really just looking for the cheapest opton and thought I could save some money by just molding one out of a flat sheet. Thanks Pmurf1 I might to call or pm those guys. Trainwreck- you rock, well be in touch ;)

·
Registered
641 Posts
Also if you're rocking it hard enough to go over, you probably don't mind a few pits etc? Try Tommy's salvage, then PAW and whoever first for a used one, it's not hard at all to put in if your gasket isn't too brittle. If you decide to go that route and have any problems with it, lemme know and I'll throw ya some tips. Or if it has rock chips and you don't mind bringing it down, we'll repair em cheap for ya.

Oh yeah, having a windsheild around while you're straightening the cab will help a lot with getting the cab back to the original shape too.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks trainwreck, good ideas. Im in ellensburg right now for college but will be back this weekend. Trying to find a used one locally and in Tri Cities but am coming up short. A few chips/ pits are no problem. Im trying to get two becuase i have pretty much decided that after this flop there is no sense building an exo over an internal cage since the body is only getting rougher.

·
Registered
613 Posts
what you want is a specialy coated polycarbonate it is a scratch resistant coating it is pricy and most plastic shops wont have it in stock. here is the ones for the samurai http://www.roadlessgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?&store_code=rgl&screen=PROD&product_code=RG130

I recall seeing a toyota one at rockstomper might call them it is probably more expencive than glass though if you search on the suzuki section you should find some info on the durability of the coated polycarbonate ones

therer are some pix and video of rockstompers windshield here http://www.rockstomper.com/images/products/windows/

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys- exactly what i was looking for. More and more i think lexan is going to be much more expensive. Ill stick to glass for know. That rockstomper speedglass sure looked burly in the impact testing though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts