Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
At the risk of not being hardcore, I need to ask if anyone knows the thickness of the windshield glass on a CJ/YJ. Didn't want to ask in non-hardcore since I'm confident nobody is using Lexan in there. I'm shopping for some MR10 Lexan to make my own windshield but I don't know the thickness I need to fit properly in the OEM windshield frame seal.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. Hence the MR10 spec. It comes with the scratch resistant coating already applied to it. It meets some fairly rigorous specs and I am familiar with a few guys that are using it with great results even when using wipers. It is obviously not as good as glass but this is not going on a daily driver, anyway. The bonus is the awesome impact resistance and it is less than half the weight.

So, anyone know the thickness of the OEM glass on a CJ/YJ?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1/4" seems a little thin to me....been a while since I have seen a windshield out of a frame so I'm really not sure. Maybe the molding hugs 1/4" just fine even if it is thinner than OEM?

·
Banned
116 Posts
there is lots of room in the frame for error as the exterior seal presses into the gap left after the glass is installed.

i measured the glass for you with a open end wrench and 9mm was a touch loose and 8 mm would not fit at all so its somewhere in between 1/4 and 5/16.

were you planing on hard fasteners? or urethane adhesive?

if you go with fasteners it will need to be alot thicker to make up the space the original urethane was in

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Andy,

Thanks for measuring. That's awesome. No fasteners....just dropping the Lexan in the frame with the OEM molding.

I noticed you are not on J/K again.....what happened now?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like 9.5 mm is pretty much 3/8" bang on. I'm going to go with that....thanks again.

·
Banned
116 Posts
the cj frame may be different but the yj uses no molding for "retaining " the glass.

im assuming you are using a full rubber molding with a lock strip built into the front.

the yj uses a "fake" rubber on the interior and a press in strip on the outside that looks similar to the old lock strip rubber moldings.

if it has a old school molding there is lots of room in there for proper retention of the lexan you may have to add some strip caulk to the inside if its a bit loose to stop any water leakage.

if its a yj molding you may have to use fasteners as im unsure f the urethane adhesive will stick to lexan

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm using the CJ molding and yes, windshield urethane most definitely sticks to Lexan.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Trying to remember the name, but there is a company selling these ready to go and with teh correct CJ and Wrangler thickness. I am planning to get one to replaced my cracked TJ windshield...
There are a few suppliers for this. The problem is that they would cost a fortune to get in Canada. I have competitive pricing for MR10 locally - I just have to cut it to size which is no big deal since it is very easy to work with. I just neede to verify the thickness since I didn't have a glass kicking around to verify.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Wow, $350 seems high for a flat piece of lexan. How much does this stuff cost by the sheet?
Travis..

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, $350 seems high for a flat piece of lexan. How much does this stuff cost by the sheet?
Travis..
A LOT less. I found 4 x 8's for significantly less than the Speedglas CJ windshield. I also found a couple local Lexan suppliers that will cut to size and I only have to pay for the material used. For me, it is a no brainer.

·
Registered
42 Posts
CTD - Be careful! if im not mistaken, it is illegal to run Lexan glass on Ontario Roads!!!! You will be Subject to a MAJOR fine!!!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^ Thanks for the heads up but me thinks the winshield not being glass will be a little low on the list of what might be questionable on my vessel.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Travis..
Percy also sells blemish speed glass at 80% off that is what I got. just a thin line of bubbles.
$70 makes it look a lot more appetizing. I can measure the speed glass if you want I also have a glass windshield in the mail for my daily driver.

Give me a couple days I can measure them if you still need it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts