Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for you guys running tyres bigger than 36's on your toy. that also drive to and from the trail....that wheel hardcore...you go with lots of lilft to get those tyres to fit..put bumpstops so tyres wont rub or move axle way out front....couriuos whats going on now... i got some 36's that dont rub at all...got 7 susp lift and 3 body and used bfh on inner firewall/fender...goin to 38's...could run now if i installed bumpstop but that is:rainbow: ..dont want to lose my flex ive worked so hard to get..moveing the axle forward more sux..moved it forward 2 inches already...again would require moving shocks-driveline mods etc. and more lift is not the way id like to go...even though my exo is almsot done!!

·
Registered
24,641 Posts
Bumpstops are your friend :D

Sounds like you have far more lift than others and smaller tires. I'm probably a little less lift than you and no body lift and 37's (was my daily driver) Rubbed the firewall some, but that's fixable

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have an 84 extra cab and seems like i need more lift than everyone to fit these tires with no rub...wierd...i love the flex i got with these 5.5 alcans and 1.5 shackles...use all of the rancho 9012 hate rubing on the firewall...tares up the tires and sounds like shiot. getting some 37 or 38 but cant decide on how to fit them yet!! want to do it right the first time if that is ever possible with these things...lol if you know what i mean

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
strmin said:
...goin to 38's...could run now if i installed bumpstop but that is:rainbow: ..dont want to lose my flex ive worked so hard to get
strmin said:
i have an 84 extra cab and seems like i need more lift than everyone to fit these tires with no rub...wierd...
hmmm doesnt seem so wierd to me...........

Drop your bumpstops, drop your upper shock mount, drop your body lift and trim the firewall

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
You're missing the point: We don't run bumpstops to run bigger tires with less lift, we do it so we don't kill our springs. ;)

My Allpros looked like this before I installed bump stops - note the reverse-arch on the compressed side:

This is how my bumpstops are set. I need to hack the towers about in half... The suspension has settled and they're now about 2" off the springs - so I hit them going overa speed bump. :rolleyes:

The bumpstops are from:
http://www.suspension.com/Bumpstop.htm

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IM RUNNING ALCAN SPRINGS IN THE FRONT AND THEY SAY THAT THEY CAN GO 1.5 IN. NEGATIVE ARCH WITHOUT HARMING THEM--AOR SAID SO:p

·
Registered
7,719 Posts
strmin said:
for you guys running tyres bigger than 36's on your toy. that also drive to and from the trail....that wheel hardcore...you go with lots of lilft to get those tyres to fit..put bumpstops so tyres wont rub or move axle way out front....couriuos whats going on now... i got some 36's that dont rub at all...got 7 susp lift and 3 body and used bfh on inner firewall/fender...goin to 38's...could run now if i installed bumpstop but that is:rainbow: ..dont want to lose my flex ive worked so hard to get..moveing the axle forward more sux..moved it forward 2 inches already...again would require moving shocks-driveline mods etc. and more lift is not the way id like to go...even though my exo is almsot done!!
Have you ever heard of a sledge hammer and a sawzall - they are your best friend :flipoff2:

bumpstops are your friend - everyone underestimates their importance

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,737 Posts
strmin said:
IM RUNNING ALCAN SPRINGS IN THE FRONT AND THEY SAY THAT THEY CAN GO 1.5 IN. NEGATIVE ARCH WITHOUT HARMING THEM--AOR SAID SO:p
That is what they told me 4 years ago when I did my SAS. After 2-3 months of wheeling I had a bad lean and the spring on the passenger side was "S" so I sent them back and they replaced 2 leafs in each spring and told me to run bump stop!!!!:confused: I never put them back on and sold them to Leonel and he has had good luck with them.:D

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I'm a firm believer in bumpstops. They will help your leafs last longer. One of the hardest things on leafs in negative arching them. When I set mine up the springs will be able to go about 1" past flat and stop there. Sounds like you have pleanty of lift for 38's. If it rub's a little either get the saw,grinder or torch out or lower your stops. I think that would be the most logical way to do it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.