Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still seeing a lot of very dangerous vehicle lift problems out in the "field"
The worst is still the use of lift blocks,especially on the front end.
NEVER use lift blocks on any front axle. The force of steering the axle can cause them to pop out. Even if they are welded in,they seem to eventually crack and break loose.

Serious off roaders should use high arc leaf springs,not blocks to add height. A body lift also adds height without the headake.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Rear lift blocks do not create a dangerous vehicle. Many factory vehicles come with lift blocks in the rear, even trucks with high load capacities.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'll bite.... so what new dodge has a kit that uses blocks in the front?

er second thought I'll just say why are you posting about a kit in the hard core section!

there was something cool I see all the time in this forum.... um it was something catchy and sounds fun.... um it had something to do with bleach.... um what was it... make a bong out of a bottle of bleach. no that is not it... um eat the cap off a bottle of bleach... no, damn with all the tech in this thread i have overloaded my short term memory.

well until i remember thanks for the help with all my hard core mopar lift kits.

oh yeah, go drink bleach and have a happy New Year :p

b

i really dont get this post... is it a troll? a post stacker? a dumbass just talking to piss everyone off? he knows how to use a computer so he is not a guy from the 60's that fell in a time warp... really wtf? superdutys were the last light duty trucks with leafs up front on a 4x4? and no kits had lift block for it... that would never pass NTSB? Could he be thinking about a med duty 2wd... or something like that? I think Sterlings 5500 2wd cab and chas had leafs on a solid beam but why would you lift that and Who makes a kit to do it? Wish he put what shop he works so I can not go any way near there

THIS GUY IS SMOKIN ROCKS!

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
OP- wtf do you expect me to do with these then? For some reason unknown to mankind, I found them under the leafs in the rears of both V10's sitting in my drive.

Everyone who actually has a clue- Im voting its a "concerned wheeler" just looking out for fellow wheelers... Who drive Jeeps, wear Tap Out shit, and go through more pairs of flip flops than boots...

EDIT- note to self, "high arched springs" are most desirable as a lift option if a body lift doesnt quite do the trick...

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I am still seeing a lot of very dangerous vehicle lift problems out in the "field"

What is "in the field" are you a mechanic or are you talking about people "in a field wheeling." ?

Not if you tighten down the u-bolts, and yes not in the front...

NEVER use lift blocks on any front axle. The force of steering the axle can cause them to pop out. Even if they are welded in,they seem to eventually crack and break loose.

You shouldn't use them but if you weld them on then its like extending the spring perch.. and if they "eventually crack and break loose" than whoever is welding shouldn't be welding.

Serious off roaders should use high arc leaf springs,not blocks to add height. A body lift also adds height without the headake.

Good point brawwhhhh!!!! 6" body lifts for everyone :shaking:
Thank you for the public service announcement.... Now please find me someone on this site that is running front blocks.

MIke.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
A body lift also adds height without the headake.
This comment is complete bullshit. Body lifts (not a simple 1" to clear drivetrain etc) suck a fat cock. You have to move or modify damn near everything on the truck to make everything work right. I think I'd run front lift blocks before a body lift.:flipoff2:
Travis..

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
This comment is complete bullshit. Body lifts (not a simple 1" to clear drivetrain etc) suck a fat cock. You have to move or modify damn near everything on the truck to make everything work right. I think I'd run front lift blocks before a body lift.:flipoff2:
Travis..
I think this comment is complete bullshit. A properly done Body lift will work fine. I think the high negativity toward them is overblown. I do think if you are doing anything more than moderate wheeling they are not your best option. In a rollover without extra solid points of contact they can cause your body to separate from the frame much easier. I have seen several people rebuild beefier higher body mounts to eliminate the tall body puck with success. I've had one on mine for the better part of 8yrs and it has never given me an issue. I have busted one or two body lift mounts after hard wheeling in the past. In the past couple years I have rebuilt my body mounts and built extra bracing to re enforce everything. Just my experience and opinion.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
My comment complete bullshit? Maybe:D I think your idea of a body lift is different from the OP. You are talking reinforcments, and I imagine he is talking giant plastic pucks. To say that extending brackets, relocating little shit, extending gas filler hose, wires, etc is easier, better, or less headaches than lift blocks is a gigantic stretch.
Travis..

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
My comment complete bullshit? Maybe:D I think your idea of a body lift is different from the OP. You are talking reinforcments, and I imagine he is talking giant plastic pucks. To say that extending brackets, relocating little shit, extending gas filler hose, wires, etc is easier, better, or less headaches than lift blocks is a gigantic stretch.
Travis..
Front lift Blocks are ridiculous and dangerous. Your far more likely to have issues with front lift blocks than a body lift. Bodylifts are not that difficult. They take about 3hrs if you know what your doing.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
I never said front lift blocks are safe, just that I would sooner go that route than a body lift :shaking: :flipoff2: Most rigs I have seen with front lift blocks wouldn't be safe if they had a set of Custom Alcans all around, so I don't think just the method of lifting is in question. People who don't have a clue as to what caster is, or how to measure it, have no business modifying their suspension either. I see tons of shit on tons of rigs that I would do differently. Is my pile perfect in everybody elses eyes? I'm 100% certain it isn't, but at least it is safe to drive.
Travis..

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
Besides the difficulty of putting a bodylift on what other issues do you see with them?

·
Registered
8,312 Posts

The OPs statement that you should not use blocks "especially in the front" leads me to believe that he doesn't even like them in the rear. He goes on to say that a body lift is better than any blocks of any kind, I feel that is bullshit. He says that right after saying that "serious off-roaders" should use lift springs instead of blocks. I think blocks in the rear are safer than a bunch of plastic stands for the body.

I think this comment is complete bullshit. A properly done Body lift will work fine. I do think if you are doing anything more than moderate wheeling they are not your best option. In a rollover without extra solid points of contact they can cause your body to separate from the frame much easier. I have seen several people rebuild beefier higher body mounts to eliminate the tall body puck with success. I've had one on mine for the better part of 8yrs and it has never given me an issue. I have busted one or two body lift mounts after hard wheeling in the past. In the past couple years I have rebuilt my body mounts and built extra bracing to re enforce everything. Just my experience and opinion.

I just don't like body lifts for the reasons you stated and the fact that nothing is lined up like it should be. You yourself say that the plastic pucks really aren't that good and I agree with you. If someone cuts the mounts off of their frame and moves them up so the body sits higher, that sounds fine to me because it is doing away with one of my biggest concerns, leverage. I am not a fan of body lifts, and last I checked, it was still ok to have your own opinion in America. I also feel that the OPs statements are contradictory. Is that enough explanation :goofball:
Travis..

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Body lifts are just a sad excuse for someone who is afraid to use a sawzall. :flipoff2:

MIke.

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
Body lifts are just a sad excuse for someone who is afraid to use a sawzall. :flipoff2:

MIke.
I will agree there. :laughing: I pussed out and wanted to keep the Dodge look of my truck without removing the fenders.

·
Registered
61 Posts
so looking for my next little toy found this and thought of this thread.

as you can see there is not one, not two but three blocks and they are not welded or anything.... makes me wonder if there is someone out there working for a shop that thinks this sort of things are really being made in a kit form and being sold?

any way.... enjoy!

b

·
Registered
715 Posts
so looking for my next little toy found this and thought of this thread.

as you can see there is not one, not two but three blocks and they are not welded or anything.... makes me wonder if there is someone out there working for a shop that thinks this sort of things are really being made in a kit form and being sold?

any way.... enjoy!

b
when did they start putting oil pans in the rear? ....wait....is that....:eek: kill it with fire!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts