Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, first off I wanted to say thanks for all of the help on my other posts.

SEcondly I have a new question for you. I am thinking about lifting my 01 Trooper. I cuurently have it lifted about an inch using a polyurethane bussing and cranking on the torsion bars. I was looking @ the independent4x site and saw the 3" lift for my truck. The question I have is regarding the complexity of installing the ball joint spacers.

Has anyone lifted an 01 (or similar) Trooper? Any suggestions? With a 3" lift would I be able to squeeze a set of 33" in there?

Thank you for your help in advance,
-sean

·
Typical White Guy
3,709 Posts
Ball joint spacers are easy. Of course, start by jacking up the front of the truck/supporting it with jack stands/take off tire/etc etc blah blah blah. For the upper ball joint, take out the cotter pin, then unscrew the castle nut about 1/2 way (don't take it all the way off just yet). Now, take a hammer (real hammer, not a damn trim hammer) and strike the side of the spindle where the ball-joint goes through. I have a 3lb hand sledge that does a nice job. Keep striking the spindle firmly and squarely, moving around a bit and increasing how hard you hit it until it lets go of the ball joint and falls. Don't be afraid to really give it some hell...... just make sure the swings are controlled. Under no circumstances should you try hitting up on the 'bolt' of the ball joint, only hit the spindle. If you left the castle nut on like you should have, it will catch the spindle instead of your leg.

Now take the castle nut the rest of the way off, being careful to control the drop of the spindle/hub assembly. At this point, just unbolt the ball joint from the upper arm and move it to the underside, putting the spacer between it and the arm. Reassemble and you're done.

As for the tires, I don't know..... and noone else will either unless you give more information. What tire width and rim width/offset are you planning on running.
________
Wholesale Vaporizers

·
Registered
1,277 Posts

·
Typical White Guy
3,709 Posts
How much trimming involved there, Steve? IIRC, a guy in our group is running 315/75R16's on his '93 Trooper with no trimming. Those work out to about 34.5x12.5..... which is just as big as most "35's" out there.
________
Avandia lawyer

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Ya that's what mine are. 315-75-16 not really 35 but pretty darn close. When they where new they measured out to 34.8 on a 10" wide rim.

How did he fit them with no trimming? Dose he have rubbing issues? I guess if you had 3" of suspension and 3" of body they might fit. Myself I had to do allot of trimming in the front and a little in the back. Cuz I only have about 3.5” of lift in the back and 3” in the front.

·
Typical White Guy
3,709 Posts
bob large said:
Ya
How did he fit them with no trimming? Dose he have rubbing issues? I guess if you had 3" of suspension and 3" of body they might fit.

No trimming. I don't know about rubbing...... but if he does, its not enough that he has felt the need to trim (and he beats the crap out of his Trooper, so its not an issue of being scared to trim). No body lift, just suspension, but he has it pretty close to maxed (around 4.5"). He is also running 8" wide rims, so they may not stick out as much as yours and would therefore be less likely to rub.(don't know offset) Here are a couple of pics:

[edit]well, the pics can't be direct linked, so just go HERE, then click on snowball run 2003 and you'll see pics of his gold Trooper. And a very sexy red Amigo that no longer looks nearly as stock or pretty as it did in those pics....... almost makes me sad that I've thrashed on it so much :laughing:
________
CHEAP CROSMAN PELLET LOADER HOLDS PELLETS

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
wow those look really big for no rubbing. :eek: and on an 8" rim. wow. and ya with my tires and rims i'm really wide. you really don't notice it because the flairs cover it up but when you see it from the back its prety wide. the werded this is the rear tires still stuff inside the wells. it's a sight to see. might have some pics of it on one of my webshots pages. i''l let you figure out where. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks Bob

Bob,
Thanks for the pics and insight. Some very cool shots from the links. I have a question regarding the bumpers that you are running. Who made them? I gave mine a couple of good shots and have pieces holding on by pop rivets.

Thanks for the photos and info :evil:,
-sean

1 - 9 of 9 Posts