Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
HARDliner
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, I am totally new to the whole "expedition" type Rig setup. I have been only a trail/rock crawler up to this point. Let me give you a little background info first. I have owned my 1977 FJ40 since 1999 and spent a lot of time and money making it more trail worthy. I got to a point that I was either going to have to cut up the body and gut the suspension to make it do what I wanted...or build a full tube buggy that was a dedicated crawler. I ended up building the tube buggy. I have too much attachment to sell my FJ, so I am thinking about repurposing it.

I realize fully that it is not the ideal vehicle for an expedition. I don't need a full expedition Rig built for the outback. I just want to know from you guys what I might need or be able to do that would get me a better weekend camper with the kids. In addition to possible mods, I'm also looking for products in the expedition world that might translate to a better multi-destination backcountry vehicle. Thoughts?

We would want to drive to multiple destinations and be self sufficient along the way for maybe 3 or 4 days. Thoughts?

Note: Here are my Rig specs...

1977 FJ40
4.56 gears
Aussie lockers Fr/Rr
Rear axles / Poly Perf cro mo
Front axles / Longfield cro mo
Spyder Lock 17" beadlock wheels
Currently running 37x12.5x17 BFG KM2 tires w/ full sized spare
BTF Kryptonite rear diff cover
TG front diff guard
TG 6 Shooter knuckles
TG forged high steer arms
PSC power steering w/ 1.5" ram assist
1.5" DOM tie rod and drag link w/ 3/4" QA1 cro mo heims
Toyota I-6 power bored .60 over / domed pistons
Non USA Toyota carb
MAF header
Dual Optima red top batteries
Warn 8274 winch w/ 100' of syn Xline
Body and frame have been powdercoated then interior Linexed
4" Downey leaf springs
MAF 3" extended anti-inversion shackles
Bud Built 3/16" plate full rear body guards
Iron Pig 1/4" skid
1/4" wall tube for Fr/Rr driveshafts
Sm465 trans
Danny Warden's Billet Aluminum T-Case w/ 2.31 low
Mastercraft rear bench seat
Stock front seats (I will be getting Mastercraft front seats soon)
Full soft top and bikini top
Metal Tech full family cage (2" DOM)
MAF rear bumper with cooler carrier, full sized spare, and high lift jack
MAF front bumper w/ bull bar
Painless wiring harness
20lb Powertank

There are probably a few little things I left off, but you get the idea :D
Here are some pics.

These two are the most recent pics

These two are when I had PBRs on it, before I went BFG KM2s

This is a pic when I first got it together, before power steering and other mods

·
Registered
197 Posts
The vehicle looks pretty reasonable. I think with kids the only thing you're going to have an issue with is space.

Throw a small trailer in (makes the trails a bit more challenging so at least you be entertained driving on more sane trails) and I think you'd be good to go.

·
HARDliner
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The vehicle looks pretty reasonable. I think with kids the only thing you're going to have an issue with is space.

Throw a small trailer in (makes the trails a bit more challenging so at least you be entertained driving on more sane trails) and I think you'd be good to go.
I posted up in the Cruiser Forum as well and another suggested an m100 or similar trailer. I had never thought about an expedition trailer, which is why I am glad I posted. I just have not thought through this type of wheeling adventure before. My present adventures lead me as far as two bottles of propane on a big block :D Thanks!

·
HARDliner
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Like I said...I am going to go with a trailer, but is there anything that I might need to do to the Cruiser to make it better for that type of trip? I had thought of a linked suspension and coilovers for better off road manners, but should I leave the leafs for simplicity and strength?

·
HARDliner
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I would leave it alone and just build a trailer for added storage. Here is a link to our old club presidents. He goes by skerb on here.

http://www.offroadsc.com/showthread.php?137-M416-Trailer-Build
Thanks, I'll check it out.

What you think of the pitbulls and what made you switch to km2's.
I loved the PBRs. They were the best tires I have ever run, until I aired them below 10lbs. They would burp and lose the inner bead constantly. I read later about some tricks to keep this from happenning, but I had already sold them. Either way, the KM2s are better for what this Rig is now. I did go with Pitbulls on my buggy, so I am still a believer in the product. I just did the duct tape trick and so far so good :D

·
HARDliner
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On another note...I am now looking for a trailer. Either an m100 or m416. I am thinking about making my own axles out of 2.5" .500 wall DOM and stock FJ spindles. That way I will be able to use the same lug pattern for extra spares and have spare hub parts just in case. Worst case, if I have to use anything off the trailer to get out of the woods, I would just come back for the trailer. Just an idea :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts