Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After searching for a while I found some info about relays, but nothing about seting up an entire system....

I'm getting ready to hook up some rock lights and some others as well....
I think I got everything to do it but I haven't had much luck using realys and haven't found much info on how they work...

Here's the plan:

Got 3 Toggles that light up when activated
-one to power 4 (55watt) belly lights
-one to power 2 (100watt) front lights
-one to power 1or2 inside lights in cargo area
Got a fuse block that takes 4 fuses, can add more if needed, and I have 3 (30amp) relays to use.

The questions I have:
1)The main lead to the fuse block is 6/7 guage, will this be enough and dose it need breaker between it and the battery???

2) How many lights can I run off of one relay??? Would the 4 rock lights need 2 relays??

3) For the power lead to the toggle switches, can I use a heavy guage w/ breaker and branch it to all three or should I run 3 seperate fused leads to each one of them???

4)Can I run a single ground forked to all three switches?

5)There are (2) 87 pins on the relays, which one needs to go to the lights???

I'm sure that I'll have more questions, but can't think of them now....

How Would "you" set this up?
Do I need anything else?

Thanks!
-Jerry-

·
Registered
212 Posts
how to wire relays

Jerry, if you would like I can give you all the info you need, if you have got a fax, or I could scan a drawing and email it (if scanner will behave), it would be easier than try to explain it in words. Just let me know

:bounce:
Steve

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
1) if it is real close to the battery you will be ok without a fuse or breaker, if you are running the fuse block far away from the battery you will need to fuse it.

2)you are ok just dont add any more

3)Use a small 18 gadge and run it to all the switches,use a fuse.This lead wont see much of a load.

4)yes

5)87 (at the bottom) not 87a (in the middle)

·
Registered
398 Posts
YotaRunner said:
After searching for a while I found some info about relays, but nothing about seting up an entire system....

I'm getting ready to hook up some rock lights and some others as well....
I think I got everything to do it but I haven't had much luck using realys and haven't found much info on how they work...

Here's the plan:

Got 3 Toggles that light up when activated
-one to power 4 (55watt) belly lights
-one to power 2 (100watt) front lights
-one to power 1or2 inside lights in cargo area
Got a fuse block that takes 4 fuses, can add more if needed, and I have 3 (30amp) relays to use.

The questions I have:
1)The main lead to the fuse block is 6/7 guage, will this be enough and dose it need breaker between it and the battery???

2) How many lights can I run off of one relay??? Would the 4 rock lights need 2 relays??

3) For the power lead to the toggle switches, can I use a heavy guage w/ breaker and branch it to all three or should I run 3 seperate fused leads to each one of them???

4)Can I run a single ground forked to all three switches?

5)There are (2) 87 pins on the relays, which one needs to go to the lights???

I'm sure that I'll have more questions, but can't think of them now....

How Would "you" set this up?
Do I need anything else?

Thanks!
-Jerry-
Answers to your questions:

yes, you need three fuse holders, and three 30A fuses.

1. Yes, 6-8 guage is OK to run power to terminal 30 of each relay, and from terminal 87 (or 87) to your rights. 14-16 guage wire is thinner, and may be used to power the relay coil between terminal 85 and 86. (ps. most relays are universal in labelling their terminals)

2. The four 55watt rock lights draws 4.2 amps each, multiply that by 4 and you have about 17 amp draw. Most relays are 30-40 amp relays so you should be able to run one relay to power four 55W lights.

3. The switch will be a very low powered switch since you are not switch high amperage current to the lights, you're switching very low amp'd current to each coil of relay. These relay coils only use about .15 amps or about 2 watts. Therefore, only thin 14-18+ guage wire can be used. The switches will be wired so that it breaks or makes the circuit leading to terminal 85 or 86. In other words, the switch will not be switching the high current power going to the lights, the relay does this. You can wire the switch up so the relay coil is permanently grounded and you supply power to it by flicking the switch, or you can hook it up so the relay coil is permanently powered and you supply the ground by flicking the switch. Because you're going to mount the switches in the cab, I'd suggest permanently grounding terminal 86 of the relay, and using your cig lighter fuse (the FUSED side!!!) to supply power to one side of your switch, and the other side of the switch will attatch to terminal 85. Best to mount the relays midway between the lights and the battery. Mine are mounted in the fender well of the RF wheel.

4. Like I mentioned above, you have the switch toggle ground to the relay coil, or have the switch toggle power to the relay coil. See above.

5. If you have two 87 pins, then you have a 5 pin relay. One pin should be labelled 87a, you will not use this pin, use pin 87.

Here is how I would set this up:

Lights are mounted on the front bumper, rollbar, or light bar. Switches are mounted in the cab. I'd mount the three relays on the firewall near the wiper motor, or on the flat spot of the RF wheel well near the battery. Here;s how to mount the 4 55W lights: one 6-8 guage wire comes from batt+ to a 30A fuse, the 30A fuse connects to terminal 30 of the relay. Terminal 87 of the relay branches off into four branches, each branch connecting to one 55W light. The lights will be grounded to the base, make sure the roll bar, light bar or bumper has a good ground. Using thin wire, I'd run one wire from the cab to the terminal 85 of the relay. Inside the cab, this wire will attatch to one side of the switch. The other side of the switch will attatch to the FUSED (and make sure this is the fused side) side of a non-essential fuse, like the lighter fuse. Next, terminal 86 of the relay is permanently grounded to the body (ie: the mounting screw) of the relay.

Here's a tip, if you're running three relays in the engine compartment, and three switches in the cab, you'll need at least three wires between the cab and engine compartment. Go buy some 4 wire trailer wiring. Can't miss it, green, white, brown, black wires. This wire is cheap, and you can get them 4 wires glued together in one strip. Run the entire strip (including the fourth wire for future mods) between the cab and relays, save yourself some hassle and mess of running individual wires. Actually, what I do, is I rip the wires in two strips and two wires each and tape them together so they are not so wide. Easier to route and fit into wire looms.

·
Registered
853 Posts
What kind of relays are you using? I've never heard of "87" or "87A" pins before, are these stock headlight relays or something like that?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Coop 50 said:
What kind of relays are you using? I've never heard of "87" or "87A" pins before, are these stock headlight relays or something like that?
Nope, just regular old relays you buy at any auto store. Those pin labels are nearly universal for 20-40 amp relays. You would only see "87A" terminals on 5 pin relays. I normally use Bosch or Hella relays, nothing special about them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts