Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here is my problem, rancho rs 9000x rear shocks :barf: ......the jeep rides like crap in the rear. the rear weighs roughly 1000 pounds sprung weight with about 400 pounds in rear axle and tires.i cant find a tj valved shock the right length since it is a custom set up. i am running 3 inch re coils. with the 9000's it is either too soft(setting 1), or too firm(setting 3), i cant get these shocks to perform like i want. it is a daily driver so i want a nice ride on road, and it is run on extreme trails so they need to be valved right for off road also. i know coilovers would give me what i'm looking for, but will the right shock for my set up give me anywhere near what a coilover will? i can't cruise down a dirt road without getting beat up. on bumpy, steep waterfalls with an aggressive attack the rear bounces all over. it is a 4 link rear set up nicely, so i think it is mostly the shocks causing this. i can buy bilstein 7100's and valve them myself, but i'm on a really tight budjet. any tips or advise from the shock experts would be great! basically, is there a less expensive shock (60 bucks or so) that will improve this situation? can i have bilstein valve a 5100 to my specs? thanks again for any help on this :(

·
Registered
667 Posts
I am running the foxes on a 2.5 inch comp TJ. They ride great. Call Whaley or Poly Performance to get the scoop. Mine were a little more then the 5100s they replaced.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I recently got my first set of "real" shocks (Fox 2.0's from poly performance). They make everything else, I have ever had, seem like pure trash. If you want a nice ride and fantastic offroad performance, get a good quality shock from a vendor that knows how to get them setup for your specific application.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
call Shane at Bilstein California, he is a great guy to talk to. You'd be surprised how many rig specific pre-valved 5100's that work killer which they stock. I had them custom valve 7100's for my light rear-end on my TJ & they are fawkin' awesome. My buddy just ordered some 5100's for his YJ after Shane's recommendation & he is very satisfied. I'd give him a shout....

They fellas at Poly are great too though...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts