Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats your opinion? My question is intended for discussion on standard glass optics of variable and fixed power, not any of the halographic styles such as the EOtech. I have 2. One is mounted on my Colt Competition HBAR, and the other is on a Contender barrel in .45-70 Govt. Both are hunting guns. I`ve never really found any advantage in having the feature, except maybe in early evening low light conditions. But even then I find that the lighted reticle can obscure the target, even when the brightness is adjustable. I`ve found no advantage in them for daylight shooting. Whats your expierence?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's no advantage for daylight shooting because they aren't meant for daylight shooting.
Then what do you see as being a realistic low light application of the feature short of shooting at people? Most hunting is illegal after dusk?

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
i've messed around with my illuminated nightforce reticle a bit in low light shooting. i find that if i can see the target i can usually see the UN-illuminated reticle. against a black or very dark target in low light it would be more useful. would i pay much more for an illuminated reticle vs. an identical scope with out? probably not.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i've messed around with my illuminated nightforce reticle a bit in low light shooting. i find that if i can see the target i can usually see the UN-illuminated reticle. against a black or very dark target in low light it would be more useful. would i pay much more for an illuminated reticle vs. an identical scope with out? probably not.
Your`s has been my expierence also. I`m looking for personal expierence to see if I`m missing something for proper application of the feature. I`m also asking because Midway has the Millet 4-16x56mm on sale for $199 and the Millet 4-16x50mm lighted model for $279. I think 56mm is a better deal. :smokin:

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
here in mo, shooting hours are 1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 hour after sunset, although i have never used a lighted reticle scope, those are the times that it would be handy i would think

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
I got one simply for the ninja effect on the rifle.

Do I use it, no. Does it look cool when showing it off, yes.

Here in the central valley we get a decent layer of fog, it does help on those early foggy mornings. Mainly for contrast (red) against the fog.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
nightforce nsx 3.5-15 with lens cap closed. the reticle is much sharper than this picture shows. i still haven't figured out the trick to "through the scope" pictures. there is even smaller dots inside each "mildot" for finer measuring. my eyes aren't good enough to make them out clearly looking through the scope anyways:D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I have been Happy with my Mueller on the AR. I was skeptical about the low price but it is a nice piece of glass for the money. I think the optics are better than many of the same priced luepold/simmon/blah blah that I have used.

The lighted reticle has been nice on early morning range trips, or overcast mornings poppin ground squirrels. more often than not, it gets left on after someone comes over and shecks out the scope, then Ive got to replace the CR2032s yet again:shaking:

Mueller Tactical Mildot 4-16X50mm

Eabco has it for $220

·
Registered
948 Posts
I use the Illumintor!!
It clamps on to any scope
I use it at night for *****!

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I've got a Burris 3.5x10x50 with the LRS plex reticle and I definitely think it's worth it. I usually get to my stand around an hour before first light and I've experimented quite a bit with the scope. I'd check my watch and switch back and forth between the reticle on and off. The illuminated reticle gives me 20 to 30 minuted more shooting time at dawn and dusk. That narrow window is usually when the bigger deer are in the food plots where I hunt.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts