Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do you guys do for lighting?

I have a cheap 10 dollar bell light that we've been using for rails to trails so when we get caught out at night we can get home. But i've been thinking about buying a nice light for actual off road riding.

Obviously the HID lighting seems to be the way to go, BUT i don't think i can afford 5 or 600 bucks for a light for my bike. My bike only cost me 1600!! anyone have any suggestions on lighthng?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Long time ago when I still had my Rancho bike I took apart a large flashlight that used one of those big square batteries and wire it to the front of my bike and hooked up two batteries in the middle. I didn't have a pack or bottle there because I had a carring thing above the rear tire.

Worked nice but needed some good brackets, I had a crash once and well never put the setup back together and sold the bike.

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
I have a JET Phantom that I like, but even it for off road is iffy..

I'd like another so one is helmet mount and one is bar mount

·
Registered
766 Posts
i have the dual beam niterider. pre HID. works great on and off road. that or get 2 decent single beam lites, run one on the bar and the other on your helmet

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
In true Pirate style.... I made my own!

I had a Niterider "Trail Rat" that was 10 watts @ 6 volts. I bought a lithion ion battery pack (4500 mah I think?) from www.batteryspace.com, in addition to a 12V bulb. The 12V bulb fit right into the housing, so I could re-use the switch that was in the housing, and I wired it up to use the new 14.XX volt battery. So now I've got 20 watts @ 14.something volts and it lasts 4+ hours at 20 watts. I've actually never seen how long it would take to completely die, but I'm sure it's 5 hours or so.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i broke down and purchased a niterider Moab HID. I used it tonight int he woods and i'm thrilled with it. plus 7-11hrs of burn time is pretty sick :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
The earlier Nightrider HIDs can be had for closer to $250 used on ebay.
Once you've used an HID it's hard to go without.
I've lent mine out to three friends.
All three then bought their own.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
I think that Nightrider is CRAPO and Anything else for that matter:barf:

the light they put out is really LAME

I build my own :grinpimp:

years ago I built and sold them using lead batteries from the Defiberators and $13. battery chargers

Now I use NMH

I think it cost me about $150.

2" black PVC Elbow
12 volt GE Spot halogen 20 watts
12 volt GE Flood halogen 15 watt
Independant weather resistant thumb switches with velcro to hold near handle bar grips
3500 mah nmh AA size, x12, fits inside a water bottle
14.4 volts

Independantly switch to Flood light when riding slow and switch to Long Range Spot light when riding Fast , or both for Super Bright :grinpimp:

You can Fly down the trail and everything is Super Bright

I have the BRIGHTEST LIGHTS on the Trail :grinpimp:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts