Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi -

A customer is building a 'garage majahl' and wants to put lights in the concrete under his lift.

So far he has founf outdoor lights that get hot and that you can't drive on (Hubbell in gounds), pool lights etc.

He has talked to Graybar and Platte and hasn't found anything.

In a perfect world, it would be LED with a drive on lens....

I told him he should get some magnetic lights and wire them using coiled cables and mount under the arms on his lift.

Does anyone know of a good product for this application? He even looked into what GM uses at their assembly plant, but you can't drive on them - the cars are all ceiling hung....

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They make those, but they are too hot to be driven or for that matter walked on.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
If he's got the scratch, a bank of white LEDs is not hard to make, and they're bright as hell. You could use an existing florescent housing and recess it into the floor with thick glass on top. That many white LEDs won't be cheap, but they're simple, run cool, and last practically forever.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Cant really help you with the lights since I have never seen nor heard of any that would work for your application. My best idea would be pool lights under a piece of very thick Plexiglas to support the weight of the car.

However if there is going to be any kind of inspection by your local Electrical Inspector you might want to dig some more. We have had to go fix 3 garages were the home owners placed outlets or lights below 18" off the finished floor and the inspector made them raise them. Also know of a couple "Do-it-yourself" garage pits with lights in them that got a big old red tag after the inspector stopped buy. Check out NEC 311 for more info on garages and the difference between commercial and residential. The line is very blurred and it really just comes down to what the inspector has to say.

This is why garages typically have their outlets 46-48" above finished floor.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
The only thing I can think of is forming out a series of channels in the floor, laying in a bunch of LED's, then pouring in a clear epoxy to bring it flush with the floor.

Except I can't see this ending up all that bright, and I would imagine use would age and yellow the epoxy.

I'm also thinking something along the lines of the automatic truck step bars that come out when you open the doors - use that concept to have lights come out and on when the lift clear a set height, then they retract as it lowers past that height. That seems about as pimp as you can get.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Look into superflux and cree leds. You'll have to regulate them unless you run a bunch to suck up the power. They get hot so you'll have to heat sink them. If you get alot they will get expensive. With the Crees think roundeyes rock lights but cheaper, 3 times brighter and in your own custom mount. I run this in my dome lights, and under body mounts.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Regarding the LEDs - I have already suggested that.

Here is an example of a light that could be poured in that gets too hot:

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Check out NEC 311 for more info on garages and the difference between commercial and residential. The line is very blurred and it really just comes down to what the inspector has to say.

This is why garages typically have their outlets 46-48" above finished floor.
Did you mean 511?

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Just put the lights on the lift so you don't go blind or need sunglasses when you drop a bolt...
The more I think about this, the better it sounds to make some nice "pods" that are mounted to the sides of the arms on the lift. There's no reason to light *up* from the floor like he said - it's just gonna blind you if you drop a bolt.

·
Premium Member
17,819 Posts
Recess standard Leds, make a channel for a piece of 1/2" lexan to ride on a few inches above the light, flush with the floor. If the lexan gets scratched or messed up, remove andd through another piece down.

You guys over engineering it:D

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Magnetic lights for the lift. You will constantly get shadows if the lights are IN the floor. Plus you do get blinded by the light just looking around for tools.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have seen these at the shop I worked at. They are very nice and can be added on to later, they also are magnetic and stick to the lift arms. They light up lot of the truck. I would go with something like this before lights on the floor since I drop enough bolts. The guy I worked with had from one of the tool guys but I searched and these are the same lights and are prolly alot cheaper than snap on or matco. Still too expensive for me.

http://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.com/xq/asp/prodid.112759/TID.{B6DC56AB-1A5F-4730-95BC-B95D97427190}/qx/product.htm

·
Registered
108 Posts
The more I think about this, the better it sounds to make some nice "pods" that are mounted to the sides of the arms on the lift. There's no reason to light *up* from the floor like he said - it's just gonna blind you if you drop a bolt.
Make sure those pods have adjustable shields. Also, mount them so that no part of the pod is higher than the lift arm. This way, you won't have the same problem when your head is near the lift arm. :smokin:

I went through a lot of this when a buddy tried to get rid of all of his drop lights. After all of this, he still has to grab a drop light every once in a while...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts