Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The "Box Tent" was made about 10 years ago in Canada and I thought some of you would be interested in some of its low tech construction details.

The basic structure has upper and lower fiberglass shells supported by telescoping rods.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here you see the bed closed. Note the full length piano hinge and 1/2" flakeboard construction. Underneath on the left you will notice a little white button, this is what locates the tent pole when the bed is flipped open.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With the bed open, you can see the clever way its supported. Barely visible is the stiffening rib hanging down underneath. This is a 3-4" piece of flakeboard attached with piano hinge that flips down automatically to keep the bed from sagging. I weigh 200 lbs and have to say this really works. When you fold the bed up, it just drop down flat. Pretty slick.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Inside shot of the aluminum tube that supports the tent. There is a 1.5" plastic post screwed to the roof that holds the upper pole in place. On the left you can see the full length vertical zipper in the corner. This allows you to stuff the front/back up behind the telescoping supports before lowering the top. This is the only poor aspect of the design, as the fabric gets pinched if you don't do this. Note damage from previous owner.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Interesting.

Ive always had the itch to toss one of those pop up trailers onto my flatbed.

Same idea I think :grinpimp:

·
Registered
151 Posts
do you builod these or is something pre-built? Interesteing and I also would LOVE one for my trailer but at your listed price I can get a nicely equipped full size pop-up. Are these made for a 6' bed or 8' only?

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am not trying to pimp my camper in this forum, please post replies related to the sale in the Misc For Sale post.

The point of this post is to give you ideas on building your own. If you are handy it would be pretty easy to fab up your own with fiberglass or marine plywood.

These were made in Canada by Box Tents International and marketed in the States by Outback Products if I recall correctly. They came in long and short box configurations but are no longer in production. You can find one for sale from time to time, especially in Canada.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts