Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a 96 Dodge diesel, never affraid to pull anything behind it. I sold it and bought a new Toyota Tacoma double cab, V6, etc etc. Different story now, and I knew that getting into this.

I have a near new PJ trailer, 77" between the fenders, 10 long, 3500 lb single axle, wood deck, rails all around, and a HEAVY 4' tilt up rear gate. I can load 2 ATV's on it. One straight ahead, one sideways and that's kind of a PITA with the rails there. It's a 900 pound trailer as well.

A friend has the exact same trailer as we do and we are looking at selling them for ONE 12-14' aluminum deck over to get more width to load them both straight ahead, and fit 3 on the trailer when needed. Right now we take separate vehicles if all 3 ATV's are going.

Here's where my tech comes in at. Looking for a used one to save some $$ of coarse. Which makers are ones to look for? Featherlite, Floe, Pace, Tritan?????

This is pretty much what I want.

This is pretty much what we both currently have (with a rear gate) Ours is all C channel and more heavy duty I think.

http://www.pj-trailers.com/sa/index_files/index.jpe

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Check for local manufacturers too. I know that I got a trailer made by a local manufacturer cheaper than I would have from a major manufacturer. Karavan is another major manufacturer that comes to mind as well...

Have you tried to get them all on a 2 place sled trailer rather than a 4 place? I haven't actually tried it yet, but that is what my friends and I are planning on doing for our trips next year. I bet you would have to put them on sideways to do it, or pull 2 straight on and all the way forward and put one on sideways behind it.

Another idea would be to put one in the bed of the truck and two on the trailer...

The reason I am saying to possibly try a 2 place trailer is that you wouldn't need an aluminuim one to keep the weight down then because the steel and wood decked 2 place sled trailers are pretty light. Also, the 2 place sled trailers are a dime a dozen around here and can be easily bought in good shape for $200. I had the choice of 3 different ones that were all for sale for $200 to $250 when I bought mine.

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One will not fit in the 5.5' bed of the double cab. I guess it could with the gate down, but the gates on Toyotas are tin cans, and when it's my friends turn to drive, he has a Suburban, so 3 need to be able to fit on the trailer.

Have not tried a 2 place since in MO there are very few sleds :D I am going to look when I go back to Iowa and Minnesota to visit and look around for sled trailers since people sell them cheap when they bail out of that hobby I heard from some friends up there.

Minimum I think we need is a deckover, 12'er. 14' would more or less be a perk if the price was right. Steel would be fine as well as long as it's not built like my PJ with C-channel as that gets heavy fast as well. 1x decking over 2x like mine, etc.

Be nice to find some in that price range that needed some TLC as well. Where in IA are you? I go Waterloo and Cedar Rapids area a few times a year to visit family

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I live in Waterloo. I know there are several trailer manufacturers in the area around here if you were considering new. You may also be able to spec something out that way and get something that fits the bill just the way you want.

You should bring your quad up to Waterloo sometime. They have a city funded ATV park here that gets maintained fairly well as well as a few private tracks and stuff. MX racing is pretty big around here. I've heard that there is a public ATV park south of Cedar Rapids that is pretty nice too, but I haven't ever been there to check it out myself.

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cousin just moved back to CF from out east.

The plan is to bring them up there before the end of the year, but with the holidays, etc. realistically it will be early 2005.

New is not out of the question at all. I'd appreciate any help finding these places. I also want to look into the JCC swap sheet up there as well. Hell my folks are retired, he would love to look for one :laughing:

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
The JDCCU swap sheet is definitely the way to go! There are always some pretty good deals on there. If you didn't know, you can access it online so you could search through the ads 2 weeks before they get printed. It will really help that you have somone in the area that can look at them without you being there too.

Too bad I broke my leg in Aug. so I am out of comission for quite a while yet. There won't be much riding sleds or quads for me until next spring or so. Otherwise it may have been fun to get together and ride or something!

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I looked online and all I found was a 2003, 2 place Aluminum Snowmobile trailer (Trailers) 8X10 tilt bed, track and ski mats $800

Just not quite long enough for three sideways I don't think. I'm going to do some measureing on ours tonight and see if they could sqeeze on it.

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DAMN!

Both of our Raptors loaded straight ahead side by side and my wifes Polaris on the back sideways, they fit just barely. 9.8' on a 10' trailer. That's to damn close with no rails IMO

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
True, it will be close... My trailer has little pockets on it to add some sides, maybe you could build some small, removable sides to hold everything in?

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd have to see it and/or call the owner and ask some questions. Not in a huge hurry to sell both and but one, but definatly looking.

·
Registered
943 Posts
A buddy and I built a steel trailer, that didn't weigh much at all, uses 15" tires, and can handle 3 quads (loaded sideways). The deck on the trailer is ruffly 6' wide, by 12' long. we built an raised platform over the tires to put the third quad on. With the raised platform removed, you can eaisly transport two tail to nose. I have towed this trialer behind anything from my 4 banger 4-Runner, to my Duramax powered Chevy. It isn't the best looking trailer, due to my buddy being a little on the 'as long as it holds' side of things.

It is for sale, if anyone is interested.

Oh, we have actually managed three quads, a motorcycle, three extra sets of rear tires, twenty-five gallons of fuel, wood, and some other odds and ends. It tows good, don't even realize that it is there some times.

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mondtster said:
I live in Waterloo. I know there are several trailer manufacturers in the area around here if you were considering new.
If you could get me any names of the places that might have something like I am looking for, that'd be great. I can call them and see if they'd be interested in taking mine in on a trade as well.

mondtster said:
The reason I am saying to possibly try a 2 place trailer is that you wouldn't need an aluminuim one to keep the weight down then because the steel and wood decked 2 place sled trailers are pretty light. Also, the 2 place sled trailers are a dime a dozen around here and can be easily bought in good shape for $200. I had the choice of 3 different ones that were all for sale for $200 to $250 when I bought mine.
Also plans might be changing and if they do I can get away with an 8x8 or 8x10 for just two quads, so keep your eyes peeled for any deals up there please.

Here is my 10'er 77" between the rails. Overkill for what I needed, but I had the diesel at the time and it wasn't a concern. :D

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I'm going to be heading back to Waterloo this weekend for awhile, so I'll try to get some trailer mfg names for you while I'm there. (I'm staying at my parent's house for a little while)

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cool thanks. I am going to be up that way this weekend as well, but will be busy with family stuff though. If not it will give my Dad something to do.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts