Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of the loop for years now...

I have basic stupid questions and no time to find the answers for my own damn self.

:flipoff2:

Building a set of offset Waggy 44's for my Willys Wagon. Gonna be an exped style camping rig that will need occasional fully locked abilities.

I don't think I need to go all in with ARB's...what else is strong and reliable and fully selectable? I could go with ARB's as I have onboard air, but dang they're 'spensive anymore. I definitely want selectable lockers, but what kind?

I want to stay 5 on 5.5, perfect time for upgraded rear shafts...

I can figure that out, but what about the front? I'll need locking hubs and 5 on 5.5 hubs. I have no interest in adapters. What parts do I need for the front? Help me out!!

Gearing...I will never go bigger than 33ers and will have overdrive with a Ford straight six. 4.56 or 4.88 is the question?

TIA

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

Grizzly is selectable?

Auburn selectable looks to be around $788 each, that's $200 less than the ARB. Strong enough for a mall crawling sometimes wheeler?

·
Registered
229 Posts
I want to stay 5 on 5.5, perfect time for upgraded rear shafts...

I can figure that out, but what about the front? I'll need locking hubs and 5 on 5.5 hubs. I have no interest in adapters. What parts do I need for the front? Help me out!!

Gearing...I will never go bigger than 33ers and will have overdrive with a Ford straight six. 4.56 or 4.88 is the question?

TIA

Well Tia, (yeah I know :flipoff2: )

MrN's dana 44 page is your friend :D
https://www.google.com/search?q=MrN's+dana+44+page&oq=MrN's+dana+44+page&aqs=chrome.0.57&sugexp=chrome,mod=13&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
lots of topics to choose from ^^^

as for gearing for 33s
what trans & case are you planning on? you mentioned ford straight 6 & overdrive..
if you plan on an Auto trans like a a4od & bw case I think the 4.56s should be low enough for what you've described because the 300 ci (assuming thats what engine you plan on using) has plenty of low end torque & the auto trans will make up the difference in ..
but if you plan on a 5 speed & a 205 case then I would likely go 4.88s due to the high ratio of the 5th gear & the relatively high ratio of the low range of the 205..

sounds like a cool build hope to see more info & pics of progress

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well Tia, (yeah I know :flipoff2: )

MrN's dana 44 page is your friend :D
https://www.google.com/search?q=MrN's+dana+44+page&oq=MrN's+dana+44+page&aqs=chrome.0.57&sugexp=chrome,mod=13&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
lots of topics to choose from ^^^

as for gearing for 33s
what trans & case are you planning on? you mentioned ford straight 6 & overdrive..
if you plan on an Auto trans like a a4od & bw case I think the 4.56s should be low enough for what you've described because the 300 ci (assuming thats what engine you plan on using) has plenty of low end torque & the auto trans will make up the difference in ..
but if you plan on a 5 speed & a 205 case then I would likely go 4.88s due to the high ratio of the 5th gear & the relatively high ratio of the low range of the 205..

sounds like a cool build hope to see more info & pics of progress

Tia...:laughing:

Oh yeah, Mr.N, forgot about him. :homer:

Yeah, more info would help. Stewpid n00b. :shaking:

NP435, granny 1st, 18 transfer case with a Warn OD. I keep thinking 4.56, but the 4.9/300 doesn't mind a few rpm's...4.88? Have the trans already, t-case adapter is on the way...that part is set in stone.

Thanks to all for the ideas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts